Asus P6T Marvell controller

nubro01

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I have an Asus P6T WS pro MB and I installed 2 x Fujitsu MAX3147RC.
Att startup I press CTRL-M, but no disks are found to build a RAID1 config.
I have on the Intel controller a RAID1 config with the 2 disks and when server 2008 R2 is started from that, I see the extra sas drives? What am I doing wrong.
Two Sata drives connected to the same ports are also not seen. MY guess was first that the Marvell controller needed SAS drives to be able to create a RAID1 config.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I am _almost_ sure the problem is caused by the fact that you already have a functional RAID using the ICH10R and dual RAID boot is not supported.

See various comments, including replies from ASUS here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131357

You should make it a point to read the review titled "No SAS Boot Rom".

I believe that answers your question but, you won't like the answer.

HTH.

nubro01

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
The Asus P6T WS Prof latest bios 0711 contains Marvell bios 3.1.0.12.
I found an upgrade to 3.1.0.20 and that fixed all of my problems. I asume the new BIOS from Asus will contain this upgrade?
I now have a new working system with 2xSAS as RAID1 and 6xSata II 80 GIG on RAID 5.
Now I need to determine what the best value Sata drives are for a RAID.
I found up until now the Samsung HE103UJ and the WD RE3.
Any suggesstions or experience?
Regards

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I'm very pleased to hear you got the problem solved.

I would hope Asus would include the upgrade in their BIOS and, hopefully they will do so in a timely manner.

I am using the Samsungs HD103UJ which is the non-RAID version of the drive you mentioned. I have 4 of them in 2 RAID 1 sets. They've been performing without fault for almost a year. I am very pleased with their performance. That said, I know they cannot match the performance of 2 good SAS drives connected to a SAS controller particularly when I/O is heavy. You got a nice setup there. :)

I also have another RAID 1 set using 2 Hitachi 0A38016 1TB drives. That set is only about 2 months old, so far they have been performing well. The price of the Hitachis is incredibly low. Newegg currently has them for $75.00 and a $10 rebate, hard to resist. I actually purchased another one about a week ago because Newegg had a $10.00 off special, which means that after rebate I paid $55.00 for a 1TB hard drive. I simply could not ignore a deal like that. A good paperweight costs almost that much ;-)

I particularly like the Samsungs for their good performance and their being rather quiet for the performance they deliver but, I've heard that filing a warranty claim with Samsung is quite cumbersome. Fortunately I have not had to do so (yet?).

If you decide to get a hard drive from Newegg I suggest you torture test it thoroughly. Newegg doesn't pack hard drives very well for shipping and many don't survive the UPS trip. I usually put any hard drive through a 72 hour I/O marathon before I put it into service. One Hitachi I got from Newegg started falling apart after 40 hours of testing. Newegg was great about processing a replacement.

HTH.