Sign in with
Your question

Tech Support lying to me? Opinions?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
a b } Memory
July 19, 2008 9:30:53 PM

So, I noticed a warning on this website saying that "Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit" is ** Not compatible with Intel P35 based motherboards **. I'm currently running a P35 board with this RAM so I found it odd. I e-mailed the tech support, asking about the warning and telling him my current set-up, and got an interesting resonponse...

Quote:
It means it has been tested and has known errors with that chipset. That ram is horrible, I do not sugguest you buy it.

Well this is mighty odd. I've been running 2gb of it for a year now, and my computer works awesome. So is he feeding me lies, or am I managing to run terrible RAM without noticing it? I just want opinions before I order more.

-Jesse
July 19, 2008 9:41:02 PM

if it ain't broke then don't fix it :) 

who did you email? your board manufacturer? If it passes memtest you should be good to go.
a b } Memory
July 19, 2008 9:49:27 PM

I e-mailed the online computer shop I was planning on purchasing it from. I've dealt with them before and had no problems, this just seems odd to me. I'll run MemTest in a week when I get home.
Related resources
July 19, 2008 9:51:50 PM

Well, first of all this tech support agent isn't very professional. Any good standing, moral business person would never bash another manufacturer's product by saying it is "horrible". That sounds much more like a personal opinion he/she fed you, through what should have been a professional technical support contact.

Now, your mobo manufacturer may indeed have tested their motherboard with that memory and had an issue. That could have been a bad sample of the memory they had, or who knows what.

When it comes down to it, if you've been using that memory for a year without a single issue, it obviously works. And it obviously isn't "horrible".
July 19, 2008 9:52:33 PM

Pyroflea said:
So, I noticed a warning on this website saying that "Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit" is ** Not compatible with Intel P35 based motherboards **. I'm currently running a P35 board with this RAM so I found it odd. I e-mailed the tech support, asking about the warning and telling him my current set-up, and got an interesting resonponse...

Quote:
It means it has been tested and has known errors with that chipset. That ram is horrible, I do not sugguest you buy it.

Well this is mighty odd. I've been running 2gb of it for a year now, and my computer works awesome. So is he feeding me lies, or am I managing to run terrible RAM without noticing it? I just want opinions before I order more.

-Jesse

Just because the old stuff is good doesn't mean that the newer stuff is, Crucial is known for changing the components/specs they use in manufacturing without changing the part number. Many people have had problems with recently manufactured Crucial ram, so it is now a crap shoot when you buy it.
a b } Memory
July 19, 2008 9:58:27 PM

rgsaunders said:
Just because the old stuff is good doesn't mean that the newer stuff is, Crucial is known for changing the components/specs they use in manufacturing without changing the part number. Many people have had problems with recently manufactured Crucial ram, so it is now a crap shoot when you buy it.

Hmm. So you would suggest staying away from this? I'm confused now :s I want more RAM, but I don't wanna like, waste my money on this RAM. What to do... *ponder*
July 19, 2008 10:00:00 PM

Basically Clueless Tech Support.
July 19, 2008 10:15:33 PM

Contact Crucial and ask THEM if they support their RAM in that Mobo.
The 3rd party will not have a true clue

The Mobo Makers will not test everyone's ram.

The thing about this ram you need to know is that Voltage is 2.2v.
Make sure you can set the voltage to this for ram.
July 19, 2008 10:27:04 PM

http://www.crucial.com/ go to this link, plug in your motherboard into the advisor tool and see if your memory is compatible with your board.
July 19, 2008 10:38:21 PM

zenmaster said:
Contact Crucial and ask THEM if they support their RAM in that Mobo.
The 3rd party will not have a true clue

The Mobo Makers will not test everyone's ram.

The thing about this ram you need to know is that Voltage is 2.2v.
Make sure you can set the voltage to this for ram.

Totally agree. Considering this tech support person is with the computer shop you buy parts at, he doesn't know what Crucial or the mobo maker know. I assumed from your original post that you'd spoken to the mobo manufacturer.
a b } Memory
July 19, 2008 10:42:28 PM

AH-HAH! Knew it!

Stupid techy, giving me an opinion and not facts.
July 19, 2008 11:18:50 PM

Redneck tech support, figures.
a b } Memory
July 19, 2008 11:26:27 PM

That pisses me off. Like, I resect his opinion and all, but c'mon, don't lie to me about a product I've used.
July 20, 2008 2:36:15 AM

Pyroflea said:
That pisses me off. Like, I resect his opinion and all, but c'mon, don't lie to me about a product I've used.

He may be just "under informed" and gave you what he considered to be a valid response. There are a couple of factors which could lead to this, 1. Depending on the mobo, many people encountered issues setting up with this ram because they didn't realize that it is supposed to set for 2.2V vice the default 1.8V for DDR2, and 2. There have been many instances of people in the last several months having problems with the Crucial Ballistix after anywhere from a week to several months after installation. The fact that he referred to incompatibility with the P35 chipset could simply be a factor of the majority of builds being done in that time period were with that chipset.

Neither factor excuses the advice, however it may explain it.
a b } Memory
July 20, 2008 2:48:58 AM

I understand that people may have issues with this RAM, that is completely understandable. Whenever you buy something, there is the chance of encountering issues. But as you said, a few minutes of research would yield that it needs to be set at 2.2v. As for his advice, I'm not gonna hold that against the company, as not everybody gives the best advice. I just wish it would have been more of a "People have encountered issues with this product" type resonse more than a "This is absolute S**t" opinion. Oh well, I've gotten my answer, so thanks everybody for your input.

-Jesse
July 21, 2008 4:28:53 AM

Hard call, personally I would get the GSkill and sell the Crucial or relegate it to a second machine. However, you know your personal situation better than anyone, so make a choice that you are comfortable with.
a b } Memory
July 21, 2008 12:05:03 PM

rgsaunders said:
Hard call, personally I would get the GSkill and sell the Crucial or relegate it to a second machine. However, you know your personal situation better than anyone, so make a choice that you are comfortable with.

Well I just figure it makes more sense to get the G.Skill. It is only about 30% more, and I can sell my current RAM to my buddy and end up getting it for next to nothing in the end.
!