Sign in with
Your question

Buy OEM CPU for overclock?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2008 4:59:57 PM

Overclocking voids the warranty on a cpu, correct? If oem procs are the same as retail procs except with a shorter warranty, then would it make sense to purchase an OEM proc if an overclock is going to be performed? I ask this because the "white box" procs are usually cheaper than the ordinary retail cpu.

More about : buy oem cpu overclock

June 26, 2008 5:07:55 PM

There are only 2 reasons to buy retail box.

1. You are not going to OC

2. You are going to OC and you want the Sticker ;) .
June 26, 2008 5:18:00 PM

the warranty is voided if the CPU is found to be overstressed due to increased voltage/ heat so in a round a bout way, yeah, overclocking does void the warranty...im pretty sure the warranty for retail box is 3 years and OEM is 1. You also get the stock HSF with the retail CPU. When i bought my Q6600 the price difference was around $20....if you're gona keep your processor for a while then it might be a good idea to get the retail. If you're all about upgrading every year or so, just get the OEM...
Related resources
June 26, 2008 6:00:53 PM

Nobody is going to detect reasonable over clocking - ie as long as you don't go bumping the vcore up to stratospheric levels and then rag every last MHz out of it with below zero cooling etc...

Just, for example, changing the fsb from 1066 to 1333, when leaving stock voltage, on a q6600 WILL NOT BE DETECATABLE
June 26, 2008 6:12:11 PM

I believe you have 30 days from the retailer for an OEM product. The manufacture, Intel in this case, would offer a standard 1 year, which you'd have to go through them for an RMA.

But if this is about warranties... Blah... I haven't used 1 warranty for any CPU's I've owned in the past. My dad's E4300 is OEM and has had it over a year. I have an OEM P4 3.0ghz, and it still works, and have attempted to OC which was unstable do to my chipset, which didn't fully support DDR memory at the time. I'm currently using an OEM Quad, since I'd rather use a 3rd party HS. And my E4400 is the only retail I have, which I use it's HS for a paper weight. At the time, retail and OEM were about the same price. :lol: 
June 26, 2008 6:48:10 PM

thank you for the quick response. I plan on building a rig in the near future and I DO plan to OC. Even though the OEM proc doesnt come with an HSF I think it is worth it to get an aftermarket one anyways. Thanks for all the help!
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2008 7:12:28 PM

Quote:
I believe you have 30 days from the retailer for an OEM product.

I found out this morning AMD provides NO warranty for their OEM processors. Zero. I called AMD and verified this with their tech support. Luckily, in my case, even after the 30 day retailer warranty Newegg is providing me with a free replacement CPU via RMA.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2008 7:19:35 PM

Agree with jamesgoddard.
June 26, 2008 7:30:52 PM

Heh... I found this on intels site on OEM warranties:

Processors Warranty information

Seems the contract between the retailers and the buyer is the only lines of warranty.

I guess the times has changed, cause I do remember OEM CPU's had a limited 1 year warranty. And Retailers also offerer extended warranties as well, for $25/$35 bucks. But... blah, if its DOA, then you pretty much send it back. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2008 7:36:06 PM

Yeah, I seem to remember 1 year OEM warranties too. My AMD 64 4000 Sandy Eggo bit the dust this morning. It was only 2 months old and I hardly used it at all since building with it 2 months ago. The system froze up and broke it down to the basics and still couldn't get it to POST. tried other RAM, video card. Thought for sure the MB was bad. Swapped out the 4000 for a 3800 and it fired right up. Newegg is replacing the CPU and it's been 60 days. They referred me to AMD warranty thinking it was 1 year. I called Newegg back and told them there was NO warranty. newegg payed shipping there and back too.
June 26, 2008 7:46:17 PM

Well thats cool. :D 

I guess I've been very lucky with all the parts I've brought in the past. In the last few years of buying PC parts, I've only had one bad component, which was open box (2nd MSI P6N Plat MB). :lol: . o O (but got an RMA on it, works like a charm for 80 bucks)
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2008 8:01:32 PM

Believe it or not, I once RMA's a processor to AMD. Four times! I swear they sent me a replacement processor three times because each time the procesor arrived with bent pins. I'm not kidding, the AMD support guy said I hold the record. Finally, the company sent me a single replacement CPU housed in a 100 unit tray, banded tightly together and inspected by a supervisor befor it was shipped. Not kiiding! A hundred pack tray with one single replacement processor. I still have the tray! I have RMA's to Intel too. All were retail boxed units though.
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2008 8:03:34 PM

Back in the mid/late 90's about every third computer part I got from my local Fry's (whatever MB, RAM, etc.) would be defective. It was a pain to assemble everything and troubleshoot for a couple of days and have gottten a bad MB to start with!
a c 117 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2008 8:09:33 PM

Intel's OEM warranty also places responsibility of the reseller

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-001633.ht...

"" Wholesale processors are not sold in retail boxes and are typically pre-installed by an OEM or reseller. Intel ships the processors to OEMs in trays so we refer to these types of processors as OEM/Tray processors.

Intel does not provide direct warranty support for wholesale processors. If your processor was sold through an OEM or reseller, you must contact your OEM or reseller for warranty support. ""
June 26, 2008 8:35:46 PM

kman7607 said:
thank you for the quick response. I plan on building a rig in the near future and I DO plan to OC. Even though the OEM proc doesnt come with an HSF I think it is worth it to get an aftermarket one anyways. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah with OC'ing you pretty much have to get an aftermarket cooler. So the stock HSF isn't something you'll need/want anyway.
May 28, 2009 8:29:11 AM

whats wrong with the stock heatsink - fans?
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2009 8:44:38 AM

car50 said:
whats wrong with the stock heatsink - fans?

The last activity on this thread was 6-26-08 nearly one year ago. Most of the people posting are gone.
May 28, 2009 11:25:29 AM

thats cool whats wrong with stock heatsinks and fans?
!