4850 waterblock reccomendations.

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
hey hey..im about to put together a watercooling setup for 2 HD4850 GFX cards (CPU might come later but in a separate loop)...
firstly just want some recommendations on what waterblocks to use...

was looking at the // danger den 4850 block // D-Tek FuZion GFX 2 // Swiftech MCW-60 // waterblocks, unsure about the danger den block, but i found that the dtek had better temps over the mcw-60 but was very restrictive, would it be a problem in a 2 GPU block loop? (being restrictive that is)

for a radiator i was looking at the // ThermoChill 120.3 // Black Ice Extreme III // Radiators

pumps i am not to sure about yet either a Eheim or Laing i guess, i dunno if im being picky but i would prefer the pump had metal barbs instead of plastic..

most likely a res instead of t-line // 1/2"ID tygon or other good quality clear tubing // im using a couple scythe slipstream 120mm 1900rpm 110.31CFM fans on my case atm, so unless anyone has any better choices ill grab a few more of them // question; are flow meters very restrictive? ie. is it worth getting one?

That's pretty much where im at atm. so yeah ill appreciate any recommendations and help.

just please i don't want anyone saying save your money get this air cooler..or whats wrong with stock, or do you need it or whatever, sorry but i hate people that do that, even though i know they are just 'trying' to help, but the question was not "should i go ahead with this" was it? anyway..

thanks a lot for your time and help in advance.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You got a great grasp of what you need.

Take this over to OC Forums where there are lots of good experianced watercoolers, you'll get plenty of help. I'm there as Conumdrum too.

We'll talk about pumps there.

I like the DD blocks. FC blocks are so much easier in a Xfire setp due to easier hose routing. MCW 60 is your next best route, but you'll be spending $30 on each card for heatsinks too. BI rads need LOUD high CFM fans, the TC rads are the king of quiet, the MCR 320 is a great performer and cheaper. You can probably get by with a 220 sized rad for those cards.

Since it's so darn expensive to cool watercool multiple GPU's, have you thought of selling the two cards and geting a 4870x2 or the GTX295 and just having to cool one card? I think you'd actually get more performance too.

http://www.ocforums.com/index.php

[strike]Quick question, what brand is your 4850? Depending on brand/ non reference design cards, that may eliminate WC/blocks as a option (ie the Danger Den is incompatible with Palit). And the MCW - 60 seems to be discontinued. (see: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCW60.asp ). I wouldn't personally buy a discontinued model, but that choice is up to you.[/strike] Also remember to buy RAM sinks with the D-Tek block

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I gaurentee the MCW 60 is NOT discontinued and won't be for a long time. All they did is change it a bit and now it's the MCW60R. WCing just the GPU chip with that does not matter if it's a non ref card. ONLY using FC blocks does that matter due to different placement of the VRAM and Mosfets.

Wrong info Shadow.

^Yes, you are correct about the block NOT being discontinued. It was discontinued only at that site. I stand corrected. Should have double checked. (FAIL on my part)

Wouldn't it still matter if only the GPU is being as placement of the MOSFETS can still affect the block as you may not be able to put heatsinks on them if the water block get in the way even if only GPU is cooled?

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
the 4870x2 is a good idea, but seeing the build is only a few months old and the 2nd card only couple weeks old ill have to think about it, might be too much hassle to sell them, might loose too much money as well, ill look into it and see how much they are going for on ebay etc.

FC waterblocks>> EKFC4850CF <is that the one you are talking about?

ayeayre

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
just got into a car accident...hit an ambulance pretty damn hard(wasn't my fault either), so im not going ahead with this for a while, ill get into it when the time comes after i have paid for the repairs of the ambo and bought a new car because i had no insurance..

Make sure you have insurance, even if it is just 3rd party!

thanks for your help and time anyway. Cheers!

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
EK Radeon HD4850 VGA Liquid Cooling Block , I have this one installed after my cpu block (Q6600 B0) which runs at 3.6 GHz and on idle at 29 degrees and on load with gpu and cpu together goes up no more than 38 degrees in which it is highly affected by the cpu warming the water.