MSI K9A2.... I am stumped on this one

Tags:
  • MSI-Microstar
  • Windows Vista
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2008 10:26:16 PM

Hello everyone.

I have been having issues with my pc for a couple of months now. It started out that I was getting superfetch errors in vista... something like... "superfetch has unexpectedly quit". I thought it might be bad memory so I ran memtest x 2 on my RAM, RAM passed test. Then i read on forums about clearing out prefetch folder. That seemed to work. I play a lot of WoW, and it started to sporadically spit me out of game because of error 134 message... well to make long story short.. I uninstalled vista and went back to xp pro. All seemed well, until the latest bouts that is sending me on fringes of madness. It seems to be all mobo related... i have been coming home to computer crashes everyday this week. This morning I wake up to another crash, only to find that I can't boot at all. I am getting Warning messages saying my overclock settings have failed ( I never have oc'ed this mobo) and I need to push any key except DEL to enter setup. Funny thing is, my keyboard is totally unresponsive. It is not recoginized by any of the usb ports, and even the old school keyboard port wont recognize it. I am completely frustrated at this point. I am almost convinced it is the mobo.... Anyone got any suggestions?

More about : msi k9a2 stumped

July 20, 2008 12:07:11 AM

I have one of those motherboards and I haven't had any issues that weren't caused by me pushing stuff too hard.

Anyways, since the mobo doesn't recognise your usb keyboard while displaying the failed settings message, you will need to reset the BIOS/CMOS with the jumper on the mobo. I had to do this when my oc failed and once when something else was up.

I would suggest checking all the connections in the pc to see if anything came loose, I recently had my gfx card vibrating out of its slot. Also run a hard drive test from the manufacturer of your hard drive to make sure it is ok.
July 20, 2008 12:09:22 AM

ok, will do... will give you a update if all is well....

Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2008 4:22:32 PM

Call me a noob, but I'm having the same issue with the overclocking error - how do I reset my bios? I've scoured the board for any jumpers which could be related to the bios and there simply don't seem to be any. Which pins on the board do I shortcircuit / stick a jumper on to get my bios to reset...?
December 27, 2008 2:50:59 AM

hey man hope you've found the jumpers by now, but if you haven't:

they're located directly to the left of the CMOS battery, it should say it in the manual. They're labeled "JBAT1" or something like that. Move the jumper from 2-3 to 1-2 for 10 sec, then back to 2-3. should clear.

I too am having keyboard response probs, hopefully resetting the bios will help.
February 4, 2009 8:04:46 PM

im also got that same problem and now it doesn boot at all..did someone find what is it ?
July 11, 2009 6:19:40 PM

aggiebroz said:
I have one of those motherboards and I haven't had any issues that weren't caused by me pushing stuff too hard.

Anyways, since the mobo doesn't recognise your usb keyboard while displaying the failed settings message, you will need to reset the BIOS/CMOS with the jumper on the mobo. I had to do this when my oc failed and once when something else was up.

I would suggest checking all the connections in the pc to see if anything came loose, I recently had my gfx card vibrating out of its slot. Also run a hard drive test from the manufacturer of your hard drive to make sure it is ok.

You saved my bacon. I got the : the failed overclocking settings message, and wasn't overclocking at all. Your suggestion to "... you will need to reset the BIOS/CMOS with the jumper on the mobo...." worked lioke a charm.

Cashable in AZ
!