Resetting CMOS kills the computer?

bluejay98

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Ok, well here's the problem.

Yesterday I swapped my computer into a new case. simple job, right? Ok well, upon starting it, I noticed that one of my drives which operates through a PCI IDE controller wasn't working. Apart from that, CPU 0 of my Q6600 was getting a massive load onto it even during idle times. I looked on the internet and saw that resetting the BIOS should help the CPU problem. I decided that the easiest thing to do would be to remove the CMOS battery.

So I did what needed to be done, left the battery out for 5 minutes+ and then plugged everything back in. Instead of seeing ANYTHING, I was greeted with a black screen, no BIOS Beep, spinning fans, no video output whatsoever, and no evidence of windows booting up, as my G15 keyboard would have lit up eventually. Keeping in mind that aside from those two initial problems the Computer was running fine.

I have heard from other forumsthat the PSU is to blame.. which is absolutely possible, but still, how could it have blown up from just resetting CMOS?

Any advice would be fantastic.

Intel Q6600, no OC
ASUS P5N-D
Ultra X-finity 600 Watt
2 GB Corsair Ram
Geforce 7950 GT OC

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
You have an Ultra PSU. I don't know the model but with Ultra's PSU reputation on the web it could have been killed by a fly bumping into the side of your case.

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I'd try taking out half the ram, to try and get it to turn on. I've seen it a few times where the bios just gets angry and taking out some ram, turning it on to reset the bios then popping the ram back in makes everything happy again.

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Roadrunner is right seen that happen before and no reseting CMOS wouldn't kill your comp and Ultra might not be the best but it should do the job. Maybe its the case did you think of that try runing your pc with MOBO outside the case.

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Why the hell you remove the battery out !?
Don't you have a CMOS jumper !?
I have a friend with old asus MB and he's reseting the CMOS couple of times with no issue (from the jumper), but when he tryed this method (removing the battery) and **** happens! Asus support team said that he shouldn't remove the battery at all because sometimes the BIOS scrambling if the battery is removed. It is a known issue, they said!
Solution: buy a new MB different from asus :D:D

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

Umm, no. Feel free to remove the battery to make sure you reset your CMOS. They must have been talking about another problem because that doesn't make any sense at all. Anyway, what roadrunner said, and also make sure the battery is in correctly.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
When you turn the computer on, keeping hitting delete or whatever button is used to enter your BIOS. I have had to manually set the ram voltage to my sticks to make them work after clearing the CMOS.

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
well he has no output how you expecting to change manually? He cant see nothing on the screen!!! lol talking about going in blind folded :)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

By trying one stick or by getting 1.8 volt memory to boot with.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Whoever says that taking the battery out is not the right way is wrong. I'm an apple certified tech and have been building pc's working on those for about 10 years as well, I've done that and never seen it kill a mobo. I would check make sure the battery is in right side up. Check all connections, and try like roadrunner said with one stick of memory.

Ultra may not be the best PSU's, but they aren't horrible either. I've had good luck with them.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I am speaking from my experience since my sticks call for 2.2v and my MB defaults to 1.8. I have had a failed overclocks and I just continually hit delete and eventually I can get the bios to come up to where I can change my RAM voltage settings. I would also try using just one stick to see if I could get it to boot.

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Intresting. I know about Ram reseting back to a default seting and causing that kind of issue. I tried my self the one stick method and I know that it works but I am surprsie that hiting del key few times will generate out put. But if you said that you tried and it worked than by all means try it it never hurts to try just don't get blisters on your finger :) lol.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In another direction, consider that nothing was working correctly right after you installed the mobo etc into a new case. I suggest you look for 2 types of problems:

1. Did the parts get mounted properly in the new case - no missing supports, no short circuits, connectors to mobo done right, etc.?
2. Did the add-on components get connected properly - sometimes connectors and cards look OK but have a loose contact somewhere. If that's the problem, the best way I know to find and fix is simply to disconnect and re-connect a couple times on EVERY card and connector and RAM stick.