Can I prevent my hard drive to stop spinning? Spins up, freezes pc for

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey, I just installed Windows 7, lost all my old settings. But I notice something really annoying that happens.

When I start up a program, or open a folder, Windows shows the loading icon, I can't click on anything, then I hear my hard drive spin up. 2 seconds later, my computer is back to normal.

Can I prevent my hard drive from stopping, so that I dont get that few second delay every now and then? Happens about once an hour or so. Annoying!

Thx

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
its part of windows power management in windows 7

I have 2 raids, a 3disk system/game drive raid 0--didnt have this problem

but my 2disk data array would spin down then spin up in the middle of games etc freezing pc for about 2-3seconds.

Just go into the power management part of windows 7 and turn off HDD spindown. (set to never i think)

I have a WD green drive in my system for bulk storage, and it spins down to conserve power after several seconds of inactivity. It sounds very much to me like the OP's drive may be doing the same thing.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Go to control panel

power options

click the change plan settings button (by the current power plan)

a power plan is like "high performance" or "balanced"

anyway choose the "change plan settings" button by the in use power plan

on the next screen choose "change advanced power settings"

then goto the hard drive section and

set
turn off hdd while plugged in to "never"

hit OK a couple times and you are done.

jim144

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Is it possible to turn off the WD Green's spindown?

Reason I ask is that I have a couple of 1TB WD Elements external drives, and they often spin down subsequently causing a delay when doing any type of Explorer or file dialog operation.

WD confirm that the spin-down cannot be turned off in the Elements drives.

So, I am considering a Green for my next internal drive upgrade, but not if it can't be kept awake all the time.

I am forgetting about the green series power management. I don't use those so its easy to forget. Thanks for the correction...

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have been staying away from green drives because you seem to get the same specs for more money. Now it seems that the green drive decides for itself when it will spin down. If I want the drives to spin down I'd rather set it in the power management. I don't want it to be out of my control.

This is good information. Does anybody know what the period is when the drives shut themselves down?