Sign in with
Your question

Newegg Open Box CPU's

Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:43:34 AM

Hey everyone. Hoping to get some advice on this.

There is a great open box deal on a CPU at Newegg but it is an open box cpu. I have never bought an open box anything and I know they have a return policy of 15 days. Has anyone here purchased a open box cpu before?? Its 50 less then the current oem cpu so is it worth the risk??

More about : newegg open box cpu

June 27, 2008 12:58:27 AM

not really. CPU is core for a PC, why skimp on warranty and quality?
June 27, 2008 1:00:28 AM

I have purchased an open box CPU from Stalliontek.com and I would suggest never ever purchasing anything from them. They sold me an engineering sample (ES) CPU, which they are not suppose to do. In addition, it will not work properly, crashes and such, without a voltage increase.

However, you are purchasing from New Egg and they have a great customer service policy. So, I would say go for it.
Related resources
June 27, 2008 5:47:45 AM

I agree, Newegg will go to the end of the earth for you. They are absolutely amazing with their Customer Service.
June 27, 2008 7:05:50 AM

Most open box cpu's at newegg are for one of three reasons.
1 Wrong stepping. The original buyer wants a monster OCer.
2 Board not compatable. It can be confusing.
3 Stupidity. Most rma's are for parts that are fine, it's the builder who is most often broken.
Newegg does test the part before they resell, so odds are in your favour.
On the other hand, if it looks like the heat spreader has been removed, and stuck back on, send it back.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:07:44 PM

Hey, open boxes are just people who decide they don't want something. Normally has no heatsink & freebies included...
June 27, 2008 2:11:30 PM

Well that article scared me off. I love newegg and have used them religiously for the past 4-5 years but this one I'll take a pass at. Thanks everyone.
June 27, 2008 2:21:05 PM

amdfangirl, but as the article points out how do you know what those people did to it before they returned it? You would figure that anyone who orders a CPU or other top end component would know what it's all about before they pay to have it shipped. It's not like you pull the CPU out of the box and don't like the looks of it. Also, with Open Box, it's not like you save 50% or anything. You are lucky to save a few bucks and you take a huge risk.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:27:17 PM

True... open boxes are ok ONLY when you want to ship alot things back... Normally the result of bad overclocking...
June 27, 2008 2:31:05 PM

Sure. I can certainly see somebody who wants to try to max out their new rig that they experiment with an identical CPU to find the right settings. Why risk your own when you can just mess around with a second one that you can return and get your money back? Especially from companies who seem to bend over backwards to keep their customers happy like NewEgg? I'll be damned if I spend my money to buy someone else's experimental returns. That article really opens your eyes.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:43:04 PM

That's why its cheaper!
June 27, 2008 3:40:02 PM

Cheaper, but not enough. I've been looking at a few open box specials and few if any of them are more than 10% discounted. Given that you may be buying a chip that has been tortured to within an inch of its life, I think that is nowhere near enough of a discount to take that sort of chance.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 9:55:05 PM

Okay, you win! =)
a c 117 à CPUs
June 27, 2008 10:41:53 PM

I ordered an open box 'boxed' Celly and got $5 off retail. When the cpu arrived and I pulled it out of the box there were brown scorch marks around a dozen or so pins.

I printed out my RMA form and sent it back without bothering to install it ...
June 29, 2008 8:53:10 AM

Open box parts are a good deal, but they're not for the faint of heart, or the newbies. Experts only please.
June 29, 2008 3:34:26 PM

I'd say open box are good for cheap parts to get cheaper that don't serve any major function. Say a DVD burner, go ahead grab that open box if you need to save a few bucks. Or in my case my Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, it's nothing but a heat sink and a fan, not much to go wrong there which I got for about 15bucks (still with thermal paste, seems to have never been used because the very top of 2 heat pipes look slightly deformed but it won't affect performance)

But as others have already pointed out, buying open box components for imporant items such as CPU/MOBO/ETC not the best way to save a quick buck. You don't know what happened to that important piece of equipment before you got it, could have been an experimental part to OC or the dogs chew toy for all you know. So buy open box items with caution.
June 30, 2008 4:59:00 PM

You just have to be prepared for the chance that its no good. 10% is 10%, ive personally bought an open box hard drive, mobo and vid card and all 3 work fine.
July 3, 2008 3:39:34 PM

Nope. Too much risk for me. How much did you save, B-unit? 10%? 15%? I wouldn't take the chance especially after reading that article. I hadn't thought that Open Box was that much of a problem but it sure looks like it is!
July 3, 2008 4:31:23 PM

I got burnt by Newegg a few years ago. Got an Abit board for a new Athlon 64 system. Board was a real dud, for some reason it wouldn't/couldn't detect my SATA drive, had weird bootup issues, etc. Newegg wouldn't take it back, said I had to RMA it with Abit directly, and they wanted even MORE money for that, and I was in college and skint after buying the board to begin with. I Ebay'ed the thing as-is, got all of my money back, and never bought another mobo from Newegg (or Abit) again.
July 4, 2008 3:39:38 AM

That's weird, since Newegg has this amazing reputation that they'll RMA anything at all. I've never used them since I'm in Canada, but there are people all over the forums swearing by them, not at them.
July 4, 2008 5:58:07 AM

yea, would never risk buying an open box. Sometimes the open box may really just be someone open the box and didn't use it, however majority of the time especially cpus, someone returned it because of a bad overclock or something like that.
July 5, 2008 3:05:54 PM

Isn't there some easy test that NewEgg or other etailers could use to confirm that an RMAd CPU has been OC'd to death?
July 5, 2008 3:21:39 PM

Its best to say, buy stuff with caution. And if your not happy with what you see, send it back asap.

I did buy one open box MB. Everything looked in order, I could tell no damage on the MB. When it was installed, ready to power up, it wouldn't post. After 1/2 day trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that NewEgg saw the MB worked to a point. They didn't test it fully.

I ended up not getting a refund since I had a feeling it was the bios, and that NewEgg could not replace it, but only offer a refund within 3 days, if I remember correclty. Since it was fairly a new MB, I had an RMA done on it, with MSI. When I got it back, it was the same MB I sent, since the serial number was the same, and powered up with the lastest bios on it. Although MSI didn't inform me what was wrong, and I never needed to tell them I brought it as an open box item.

It only cost me time (2 weeks) and 10 bucks for shipping/handling.

I doubt NewEgg or any other places have something that would thoroughly test any items, since I got a MB which that didn't work, which seemed to be the bios. So CPU would kinda be out of the question, especially when your saying to detect OC'ing to be the CPU's failure to work.

I think the only real way, is to take the IHS off, and look at the die with a powerful microscope to see defects on the die for electromigration. Taking the IHS off isn't really an easy task these days, if I remember correctly. They are soldered on, and can be easily damaged in the process of removing the IHS.
July 5, 2008 3:57:15 PM

Good info, Grimmy. I guess it's just more confirmation of the point that you should buy Open Box at your peril!
July 7, 2008 3:58:31 AM

in most cases it do too a mismatch with the mobo

someone with a pentium dell gets a core 2 and it does not boot - back to the egg it goes
!