Sign in with
Your question

wow am i pissed, Cpu riseing 10C every minute and tops out at 85C

Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2008 1:14:20 AM

I just got my E1200 Clocked at 1.6 GHZ, it tops out at about 85 C. I have reseated the Heat sink like 10 times as well as the Cpu and even rubbed the cpu against the Heat sink to spread that piss poor little smudge of (i cant remember what its called im so stressed) grease like stuff.

Ok ok as i am writing this, the temp is stable at 46 C. I really need to OC this and am aiming to oc it to 2.6 GHZ but im not sure if that is possible with the weird temps.

Meh ima finish writing this later. ima try to oc it. Vcore is at 1.2 BTW (if that has anything to do with the overheating.).
June 27, 2008 1:16:10 AM

what cpu cooler are you using?
June 27, 2008 1:16:34 AM

and i think it would be better to list your full system spec here. otherwise people cant help.
June 27, 2008 1:34:04 AM

ok sorry.

I am using the stock intel cooler, specs are:

E1200 1.6 GHZ
Gigabyte Ga-945gcm-s2l/s2c

The following is from an older CPU/Mobo: (so it works)

2 Gig ddr2 667 ram
320 Maxtor HD
Geforce 7950 GX2
Psu 400 Watt
June 27, 2008 1:35:32 AM

Oced it to 1.9 Ghz and it idles at 65C but when under load will shoot up to 85C almost instantly.
June 27, 2008 1:36:57 AM

have you install the latest BIOS. as that is an old chipset and the E1200 is a relatively new CPU.
June 27, 2008 1:37:41 AM

no but ill search the sight right now, never updated the bios before though.
June 27, 2008 1:42:11 AM

Sounds like your not getting the hetsink on right. Usually you need to install the stock cooler on the mother board outside the case. When you do it inside you cant get the pins all the way in.
June 27, 2008 1:50:54 AM

intel stock coolers are not great to oc go get your self a zalman cooler (9500) that should sort you out
June 27, 2008 1:52:31 AM

lol dude. I bought this thing to save money on, i know you can get 3.0 GHZ on stock cooling, i have read many reviews.
June 27, 2008 1:57:32 AM

Ok i got the newest Bios update still not getting a good idle temp.

I agree, i think its not seated right but could it be the thermal paste (now i remember what its called)? It is not evenly spreaded, it looks like 3 circles with spaces inbetween that have no paste at all.

Every other time i re-seat the damn thing i get a problem and end up re-seating it. I will probably end up doing this tomorrow as my dad needs this overheating computer :p .
June 27, 2008 2:04:25 AM

chaosgs said:
lol dude. I bought this thing to save money on, i know you can get 3.0 GHZ on stock cooling, i have read many reviews.

So how about you read up on how to mount the heatsink. And while you're at it read up on the importance of thermal paste and needing to clean it off and reapply it each time you mount the heatsink.
June 27, 2008 2:08:08 AM

Well how about i did? and how about this is a NEW cpu hence why im having problems. If your not contributing to the solution your contributing to the problem, what exactly persuaded you to post if you are not going to help?
June 27, 2008 2:08:36 AM

looks like the problem of not cleaning up the paste after reseating the heatsink and applying new paste.
June 27, 2008 3:59:42 AM

if you havent got new thermal paste.just wipe the old thermal paste off the heasink and CPU completely. then install the heatsink without the thermal paste for now and see what temp you get. because you are having bigger gap with empty spot on the thermal paste now right?
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 4:36:04 AM

Maybe you got the new crappy Intel HSF without the copper base. I've read a few posts about them being 5C hotter.

Maybe try different software to see the difference.

I know using Core Temp and Real Temp always shows almost 10C difference because they use different tj max.
June 27, 2008 4:44:05 AM

Use Core Temp. Use a BB or uncooked Rice Grain of thermal grease like Arctic Silver 5. Update your BIOS and monitoring programs.
June 27, 2008 4:46:01 AM

OC with stock HSF is just dumb. Get a real HSF to OC. I can't even OC my E4600 to 3.0 from 2.4 without crazy high temps. I use AS-5 mind you. Right now it's at 333 x 8 = 2,664 Mhz instead of stock 12 x 200 = 2,400 Mhz. My OC idles about 25C and load is 62C.
June 27, 2008 4:55:46 AM

I agree with the rest. Make sure you clean off the thermal grease (rubbing alcohol and a q-tip works great) and get some Artic Silver 5 to put on there. If you must have it today (or tomorrow) Radio Shack carries AS5. It's a little more expensive, but no waiting. Put a small dot (like pcgamer said, BB sized) in the center of the cpu and let the pressure of the HSF spread it out. If temps are still too high (as monitored on more than one program) you may want to look into RMA'ing your CPU.

You shouldn't worry about OC'ing until your sure that you have good solid parts. I just read this quickly, but I got the impression that you just built this machine. It would be better to wait a week or so at stock speeds and voltages to make sure everything is working up to par before you change things around.

My system is in my sig. My temp at idle is always the ambient temp of the case, and my load never goes over 65C no matter how warm the ambient temp is. Your idle temp should be no higher than 40C if your in an air conditioned room.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 4:56:20 AM

Looks like Chaos shoulda got a DELL.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 4:58:48 AM

Pick up an AC Freezer 7 Pro for $26.99 and watch your temps drop.
Whilst I will agree your temps seem excessively high, even for a stock Hs, the Intel boxed coolers are nothing but cheap crap. I have heard of many problems with them not mounting correctly and the cheap style they use with entry level CPU's can barely keep it cool at stock (as you have already found).
June 27, 2008 5:06:03 AM

I want an AC Freezer 7 Pro.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 5:08:11 AM

pcgamer12 said:
I want an AC Freezer 7 Pro.

They are nice especially for the price.
The only gripe I have with them is the Intel inspired mounting.
It would have been nice to see something a little more sturdy there.
June 27, 2008 5:16:36 AM

First I will say dont get soo pissy. Just because you read a DIY guide on overclocking doesnt mean you can do it.

Second when overclocking you need quality parts IE: Case(airflow), Heatsink/fan(AFTERMARK), and Extra case fans.

Now you dont have to get an aftermarket HSF but dont think you will get amazing speeds on stock. I am running a E2140(1.6) at 2.66 with stock. Idle is 35 load is 62, but I have 2 nice 120MM case fans running at 2k RPMS. I think the cfm is around 110 each. This creates a nice wind tunnel in the case.

Third the normal temp in your house makes a big difference too. My temps are with my house at 80F because my damn landlord wont fix my AC but that is another story.
June 27, 2008 5:23:18 AM

My temps go up as hot summer days arrive. I would agree that HSF, airflow, and quality parts equal a better than average OC.
June 27, 2008 5:32:42 AM

outlw6669 said:
Whilst I will agree your temps seem excessively high, even for a stock Hs, the Intel boxed coolers are nothing but cheap crap. I have heard of many problems with them not mounting correctly and the cheap style they use with entry level CPU's can barely keep it cool at stock (as you have already found).

Cool outlaw I just picked one up for a spare and saved on shipping cool.
The egg drops shipping once in a while and when they do this is an even better value.
June 27, 2008 6:04:01 PM

pcgamer12 said:
OC with stock HSF is just dumb. Get a real HSF to OC. I can't even OC my E4600 to 3.0 from 2.4 without crazy high temps. I use AS-5 mind you. Right now it's at 333 x 8 = 2,664 Mhz instead of stock 12 x 200 = 2,400 Mhz. My OC idles about 25C and load is 62C.

Wow that is Such BS dude. Had a Pentium D 805 OC'd it from 2.6 to 3.8 GHZ on stock HSF, and well the HSF i habe now is the same as the pentium D, also let me remind you, Pentium D = 2 pentium 4's = Hottest CPU's ever made. And when i ahd it oc'd the avg temp in the house was 80 F and my load temp on the cpu never went over 60C.

lcaley said:
I agree with the rest. Make sure you clean off the thermal grease (rubbing alcohol and a q-tip works great) and get some Artic Silver 5 to put on there. If you must have it today (or tomorrow) Radio Shack carries AS5. It's a little more expensive, but no waiting. Put a small dot (like pcgamer said, BB sized) in the center of the cpu and let the pressure of the HSF spread it out. If temps are still too high (as monitored on more than one program) you may want to look into RMA'ing your CPU.

You shouldn't worry about OC'ing until your sure that you have good solid parts. I just read this quickly, but I got the impression that you just built this machine. It would be better to wait a week or so at stock speeds and voltages to make sure everything is working up to par before you change things around.

My system is in my sig. My temp at idle is always the ambient temp of the case, and my load never goes over 65C no matter how warm the ambient temp is. Your idle temp should be no higher than 40C if your in an air conditioned room.

I spread the grease like out (with a making pizza action) so its even, not a whole lot of grease there though.

Now about RM-ing the cpu, how do i know its the right thing to do? Like if i cant get the temps down i rma it? im going to oc it to 3.2 soon and put it under load and check the temps, ill post the results later, but as of now under load at any clock speed (even underclocked to 1.6) it rises to 85C. It doesnt feel to hot on the CPU it self, well not so hot i cant keep my fingers on it.

Conumdrum said:
Looks like Chaos shoulda got a DELL.

You can keep your dell ill keep my home made computer.

outlw6669 said:

YES AND I HATE INTEL FOR THAT! they can make a complicated CPU work like a charm but they cant make a simple HSF if their life depended on it. Wow took me 30 mins to figure out how to seat the HSF.
June 27, 2008 6:08:13 PM

chaosgs said:

I spread the grease like out (with a making pizza action) so its even, not a whole lot of grease there though.

Now about RM-ing the cpu, how do i know its the right thing to do? Like if i cant get the temps down i rma it? im going to oc it to 3.2 soon and put it under load and check the temps, ill post the results later, but as of now under load at any clock speed (even underclocked to 1.6) it rises to 85C. It doesnt feel to hot on the CPU it self, well not so hot i cant keep my fingers on it.

Spreading the grease out is the wrong technique. If you keep it in a round "blob" in the center and let the pressure spread it out, then it will fill in as it needs, thus compensating for the places on the cpu/hsf that aren't completely flat.

If your temps at stock aren't good, then don't OC. That's what I said before, and that is still the best way to do it.

If you don't want people's opinions and suggestions, then don't ask.
June 27, 2008 6:14:12 PM

lcaley said:
Spreading the grease out is the wrong technique. If you keep it in a round "blob" in the center and let the pressure spread it out, then it will fill in as it needs, thus compensating for the places on the cpu/hsf that aren't completely flat.

If your temps at stock aren't good, then don't OC. That's what I said before, and that is still the best way to do it.

If you don't want people's opinions and suggestions, then don't ask.

My temps are not good no matter what the clock is.

What do you mean by "If you don't want people's opinions and suggestions, then don't ask."? I never shot anyone down, but suggesting for me to buy a dell is stupid. i could probably average 10 posts a day by suggesting that every time someone has a problem with their new build to go buy a new dell instead.
June 27, 2008 6:27:50 PM

chaosgs said:
Well how about i did? and how about this is a NEW cpu hence why im having problems. If your not contributing to the solution your contributing to the problem, what exactly persuaded you to post if you are not going to help?

chaosgs said:
Wow that is Such BS dude. Had a Pentium D 805 OC'd it from 2.6 to 3.8 GHZ on stock HSF, and well the HSF i habe now is the same as the pentium D, also let me remind you, Pentium D = 2 pentium 4's = Hottest CPU's ever made. And when i ahd it oc'd the avg temp in the house was 80 F and my load temp on the cpu never went over 60C.

chaosgs said:
You can keep your dell ill keep my home made computer.

Your temps are most likely bad at stock speeds because your thermal grease is not applied correctly.
June 27, 2008 6:31:52 PM

Alright Chaos, you need to smack it back down to stock first thing. A slower CPU is better than a dead one. Anyway I want to you buy some good thermal paste as everyone has said (meaning Artic Silver 5, OCZ Freeze, Tuniq TX-2, or Artic cooling MX-2) that will drastically decrease temps. I think you are getting things confused, I could have stuck with the stock HS for my E6750 and OC'd it to 3.6, it IS possible. However, just because I can do it does not mean the CPU will last a week or 2 without dying. That CPU should NEVER go over 70c for long periods of time. Whether you believe me or not, you also have to be very thorough in the installation of the stock Intel HS. Best way to do it is to position it over the CPU (NOT TOUCHING IT!) lower it until the pins are slightly touching the holes so you know that they are centered, but not allowing the base to touch the CPU. Now you need to GENTLY place the HS on the CPU and with a FIRM hand keep it from moving. Now with the other one you need to push in 2 pins at once, also make sure they are diagonal from each other for best result. Should the HS move while your doing this then you need to clean it all off, reapply thermal paste, and try all over again. I am not saying you can not do this or anything, even computer ENTHUSIASTS have problems putting that F&%king HS on, lol. Anyway if it is all done correctly you should idle at around 30-40c and should be no higher than 60c on load, that is on stock settings. Again before you do ANYTHING buy some decent thermal paste, that will make a huge difference, and it will run you less than $10 with shipping.
June 27, 2008 6:44:33 PM

If the cpu burns up do you think newegg will replace it? not exactly my fault, and i got the cpu yesterday. newegg has a 7 day return policy i ordered it last Monday, does that mean i have to get it to newegg by next monday to get the money back?

How does RMA work? i mean if what you RMA works do they still send you a new one? If the CPU burned up and i RMA it will they send me a new one?

Are you sure it could be the thermal paste? i mean i know thermal paste reduces temperatures but i never thought it was a necessity.

Here is what im noticing when under load it can shoot up high and VERY fast, but once it idles it goes back down to 50c very fast as well.
June 27, 2008 6:51:19 PM

That is because the stock HS and that terrible thermal paste have a cap limit of how much heat they can dissipate efficiently. Problem is, near load the heat is too much for the HS to dissipate so the temperatures jump up a lot.

Edit: Newegg most likely will RMA it, but it IS your fault if you burn it up, please listen to us. I can not recommend the stock HS, but some great thermal paste applied well will definitely help, up to 20%. Forget 2.6 with stock HS, 2.0-2.2 is achievable though.
June 27, 2008 6:54:59 PM

Well since everyone suggests thermal paste, ill underclock till i go to radioshack and buy some. I really hope they have some, as it is a 2 hour walk there and back. Yes i have no car, that's another long story/problem.
June 27, 2008 7:02:01 PM

I don't know Newegg's exact rules for CPU RMA'ing. I do know that they are more strict than other rules though. The best way is to make sure the CPU is not burned up when/if you send it back to them.

Thermal paste/grease is an absolute necessity because of the imperfections in the surface of the cpu and the hsf. If both were perfectly (PERFECTLY, mind you..) flat then no, it wouldn't be as important. But we all know that perfect is impossible. The thermal grease is a compound that has a high conductance for heat. If the gaps in between the CPU and HSF are filled by the grease, the grease will transfer most (nothing's perfect) of the heat it absorbs to the HSF allowing it to disperse it. If there is air in the gap, air doesn't conduct heat nearly as well, thus transferring less heat to your HSF to allow it to do it's job. This translates into your CPU running hot.
June 27, 2008 7:14:13 PM

You should have saved yourself a lot of headaches and just went with a higher-clocked CPU instead of cheaping out and then trying to OC. Not every CPU will OC the same... sometimes you get more out of one than another. Just because you OCed your first CPU so much in no way means that your new CPU will be able to OC the same way.
June 27, 2008 7:15:31 PM

Call radioshack first Chaos and see what they have in, if need be ask us which is best out of what they have.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 7:18:12 PM

What software are you using to measure temps?
June 27, 2008 7:29:44 PM

Zoron said:
You should have saved yourself a lot of headaches and just went with a higher-clocked CPU instead of cheaping out and then trying to OC. Not every CPU will OC the same... sometimes you get more out of one than another. Just because you OCed your first CPU so much in no way means that your new CPU will be able to OC the same way.

Thats like telling someone to buy a Ferrari over a Mustang, yeah i dont have the cash hence why i bought the cheap cpu, the E1200 can perform like the E6xxx series OC'd at the cost of the cpu's life. Well in 1 year when it burns out ill have another upgrade.

The_Blood_Raven said:
Call radioshack first Chaos and see what they have in, if need be ask us which is best out of what they have.

Heh just did, they dont carry thermal paste in the store any more only have 1 paste online.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2...

Thanks for the offer, i suppose i can buy some from newegg. I need like a $6-$10 paste cause i will probably end up buying 2 day shipping.

UNLESS! there is another store (other than Fry's) that has thermal paste.

Really makes me mad though, i was so close to getting to play crysis on max. My last cpu was a bottleneck and all i needed was to oc this cpu to 2.6 and i am sure i could max crysis.

If i wipe the paste off entirely what do you think the temps would do? There is like 2 small VERY small clump like spots and i was thinking about wiping it off or smoothing it out, there is not much paste any more.

flyin15sec said:
What software are you using to measure temps?

Easytune, HWMonitor and the bios window.
June 27, 2008 7:31:20 PM

CPU has been at 56C while typing this with the load an average of 30% on an oc to 1.9 GHZ.

June 27, 2008 7:31:45 PM

I think the temperature software ur using is probably crap. If its reading 85c then the reading is probably wrong. Ur computer should be on fire right now otherwise. Try core temp.
June 27, 2008 7:49:32 PM

Quote:
Thats like telling someone to buy a Ferrari over a Mustang, yeah i dont have the cash hence why i bought the cheap cpu, the E1200 can perform like the E6xxx series OC'd at the cost of the cpu's life. Well in 1 year when it burns out ill have another upgrade.

What is the price difference? Instead of burning a CPU out in a year or less, wouldn't it be better to just get the higher clocked CPU in the first place? Buying one CPU in two years has got to be cheaper than buying 2 in the same time frame. You might not get the 2.6GHz you're looking for from this particular CPU... as I said, not all CPUs have the same headroom for overclocking.

As for your analogy... it's a little flawed. The difference between the two cars is hundreds of thousands of dollars... whereas the difference between the two CPUs might be $100.
June 27, 2008 7:50:34 PM

Heh just underclocked it to 1.0 GHZ (WOOT, dual core pentium III) put it under load and temps went from 55-59C so im assuming it may be the thermal paste, or the cpu is just crap.

Easy tune and HWM show same temperature and the bios shows the same as well. I trust the bios more than anything.
June 27, 2008 7:52:49 PM

BIOS can be wrong too... which is why someone suggested updating it.
June 27, 2008 7:54:42 PM

Zoron said:
Quote:

What is the price difference? Instead of burning a CPU out in a year or less, wouldn't it be better to just get the higher clocked CPU in the first place? Buying one CPU in two years has got to be cheaper than buying 2 in the same time frame. You might not get the 2.6GHz you're looking for from this particular CPU... as I said, not all CPUs have the same headroom for overclocking.

As for your analogy... it's a little flawed. The difference between the two cars is hundreds of thousands of dollars... whereas the difference between the two CPUs might be $100.

I agree it is a little off, but i only need this cpu to last 1 year, im going all out when nehelem comes out (heh cant spell it i forgot how its spelled). But i seriously dont have the cash.....Im clinching my teeth at the thought of thermal paste.......
June 27, 2008 7:56:29 PM

Zoron said:
BIOS can be wrong too... which is why someone suggested updating it.

I updated it from version F4 to version F5.
June 27, 2008 8:07:17 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
You wont get 2.6 with a stock HS Chaos, if you can get 2.4 without exceeding 80c even WITH good thermal paste then you are lucky. Buy this, it is the best on the market (without diamonds...):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your kidding me. I have read so many posts of people getting 3.0-3.4 on this thing. I will probably RMA it and get a new one with hopes of getting a good oc on it.
June 27, 2008 8:14:17 PM

.....I'll assume you meant 2.0-2.4. I doubt they were using stock cooling, I doubt they were using the same thermal solution OVER AND OVER without reapplying which is worse than having non at all. You can easily hit 2.6 with a decent cooler, but the stock HS is not meant for overclocking. Add the fact that your motherboard was NEVER meant to be used for extreme overclocking and the fact that your case most likely does not have good cooling, makes me wonder how you plan on achieving this 2.6. No offense. but there is a limit and you have to accept that. At 2.4 the E1200 should be enough for your needs, though.
June 27, 2008 8:24:03 PM

give me 5 mins ill add links, and yes 3.0-3.4
!