wow am i pissed, Cpu riseing 10C every minute and tops out at 85C

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I just got my E1200 Clocked at 1.6 GHZ, it tops out at about 85 C. I have reseated the Heat sink like 10 times as well as the Cpu and even rubbed the cpu against the Heat sink to spread that piss poor little smudge of (i cant remember what its called im so stressed) grease like stuff.

Ok ok as i am writing this, the temp is stable at 46 C. I really need to OC this and am aiming to oc it to 2.6 GHZ but im not sure if that is possible with the weird temps.

Meh ima finish writing this later. ima try to oc it. Vcore is at 1.2 BTW (if that has anything to do with the overheating.).

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
ok sorry.

I am using the stock intel cooler, specs are:

E1200 1.6 GHZ
Gigabyte Ga-945gcm-s2l/s2c

The following is from an older CPU/Mobo: (so it works)

2 Gig ddr2 667 ram
320 Maxtor HD
Geforce 7950 GX2
Psu 400 Watt

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Sounds like your not getting the hetsink on right. Usually you need to install the stock cooler on the mother board outside the case. When you do it inside you cant get the pins all the way in.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ok i got the newest Bios update still not getting a good idle temp.

I agree, i think its not seated right but could it be the thermal paste (now i remember what its called)? It is not evenly spreaded, it looks like 3 circles with spaces inbetween that have no paste at all.

Every other time i re-seat the damn thing i get a problem and end up re-seating it. I will probably end up doing this tomorrow as my dad needs this overheating computer :p.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

So how about you read up on how to mount the heatsink. And while you're at it read up on the importance of thermal paste and needing to clean it off and reapply it each time you mount the heatsink.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well how about i did? and how about this is a NEW cpu hence why im having problems. If your not contributing to the solution your contributing to the problem, what exactly persuaded you to post if you are not going to help?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
if you havent got new thermal paste.just wipe the old thermal paste off the heasink and CPU completely. then install the heatsink without the thermal paste for now and see what temp you get. because you are having bigger gap with empty spot on the thermal paste now right?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Maybe you got the new crappy Intel HSF without the copper base. I've read a few posts about them being 5C hotter.

Maybe try different software to see the difference.

I know using Core Temp and Real Temp always shows almost 10C difference because they use different tj max.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
OC with stock HSF is just dumb. Get a real HSF to OC. I can't even OC my E4600 to 3.0 from 2.4 without crazy high temps. I use AS-5 mind you. Right now it's at 333 x 8 = 2,664 Mhz instead of stock 12 x 200 = 2,400 Mhz. My OC idles about 25C and load is 62C.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I agree with the rest. Make sure you clean off the thermal grease (rubbing alcohol and a q-tip works great) and get some Artic Silver 5 to put on there. If you must have it today (or tomorrow) Radio Shack carries AS5. It's a little more expensive, but no waiting. Put a small dot (like pcgamer said, BB sized) in the center of the cpu and let the pressure of the HSF spread it out. If temps are still too high (as monitored on more than one program) you may want to look into RMA'ing your CPU.

You shouldn't worry about OC'ing until your sure that you have good solid parts. I just read this quickly, but I got the impression that you just built this machine. It would be better to wait a week or so at stock speeds and voltages to make sure everything is working up to par before you change things around.

My system is in my sig. My temp at idle is always the ambient temp of the case, and my load never goes over 65C no matter how warm the ambient temp is. Your idle temp should be no higher than 40C if your in an air conditioned room.

Pick up an AC Freezer 7 Pro for $26.99 and watch your temps drop.
Whilst I will agree your temps seem excessively high, even for a stock Hs, the Intel boxed coolers are nothing but cheap crap. I have heard of many problems with them not mounting correctly and the cheap style they use with entry level CPU's can barely keep it cool at stock (as you have already found).

They are nice especially for the price.
The only gripe I have with them is the Intel inspired mounting.
It would have been nice to see something a little more sturdy there.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
First I will say dont get soo pissy. Just because you read a DIY guide on overclocking doesnt mean you can do it.

Second when overclocking you need quality parts IE: Case(airflow), Heatsink/fan(AFTERMARK), and Extra case fans.

Now you dont have to get an aftermarket HSF but dont think you will get amazing speeds on stock. I am running a E2140(1.6) at 2.66 with stock. Idle is 35 load is 62, but I have 2 nice 120MM case fans running at 2k RPMS. I think the cfm is around 110 each. This creates a nice wind tunnel in the case.

Third the normal temp in your house makes a big difference too. My temps are with my house at 80F because my damn landlord wont fix my AC but that is another story.