Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID 1 without losing my data

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2009 1:15:33 PM

Hi,
I have two identical 1TB drives, how can I create RAID 1 without losing my data?
I have on board Intel Matrix and Gigabyte RAID. either one is good enough for me..

any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Gil Amran

More about : raid losing data

August 23, 2009 1:13:15 PM

First, I suggest you do not use the on board RAID facilities. The reason for that is that your RAID depends on the chipset on the motherboard, if your motherboard fails, you could end up having a hard time gaining access back to your data.

I always recommend setting up RAID using a separate card. This is the card I use for my clients

http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=101458

It is very inexpensive, I keep them in stock in case one fails. When a client wants to upgrade to a new computer, I simply take the card and the two RAIDed drives to the new machine, boot into safe mode, install drivers for the new machine and in a matter of 20 minutes have everything running just as if it were running on the old machine. The only way you could do that as smoothly if you are using the motherboard RAID is if the new board happened to use the same chipset (which is often not the case.)

Also, the Gigabyte RAID is actually a JMicron chip. JMicron chips are truly mediocre. A lot of manufacturers use them because they are cheap and, that's what they really are cheap. I was trying to be kind but, they are not just cheap, they are junk.

The intel stuff is really good but makes access to your data dependent on the motherboard's chipset. In case of a motherboard problem, it makes for a bad situation.

The card I suggested uses a Silicon Image sil3132. A very good little chip. The only thing I don't like about it is that their RAIDmanager utility uses Java and I really dislike Java. I have not found a "perfect" solution that can be had for a reasonable cost. The closest is the card I suggested. I've installed plenty of them and can vouch that they work quite well and their performance is also very good.

If you follow my suggestion, that card (as well as Intel's stuff and the Gigabyte RAID) ask you which drive has the data that must be copied to the other drive. Just make sure you don't tell it to copy the empty drive onto the drive that has data. As long as you pick the correct drive to copy from, you won't lose anything at all.

HTH.

By the way, I derive no benefit whatsoever from recommending the RAID card I mentioned above.
August 23, 2009 4:03:44 PM

Well, I'm quite happy with Intel's RAID.
But when I try to create a RAID array, it tells me that all the data will be lost... I don't want to erase the data... I just want it on RAID... can't it just copy, as you said?

what am I missing?
Thanks
Related resources
August 23, 2009 6:03:55 PM

Maybe I'm the one that missed something.

Every RAID controller I've used has always asked for a source and target drive for data, maybe the intel one does not offer that option. As you know, I stay away from the motherboard implementations of RAID.

If it doesn't give you the option to copy then the only thing I can think of is for you to make a copy of your drive onto yet another drive (thereby saving the data), create the array and then copy the data onto the array from the other drive.

Hopefully someone that is better versed with the intel RAID implementation can offer a better solution.

HTH.
August 23, 2009 9:54:17 PM

I made it!
I had to format the hard drive (D Drive) Mark it as Spear, get back to Simple Mode, and create RAID 1...
Yea I know. not so easy to figure out... but now it's in Migration!

Thanks for your time man!

Best solution

August 24, 2009 2:44:47 AM

gilamran said:
I made it!
I had to format the hard drive (D Drive) Mark it as Spear, get back to Simple Mode, and create RAID 1...
Yea I know. not so easy to figure out... but now it's in Migration!

Thanks for your time man!

You're welcome and I am glad you figured it out.
January 30, 2010 1:39:43 PM

Could you explain in detail the following steps:

1) Mark it as spear (in bios stage with raid utility CTRL-i ?)
2) Get back to simple mode (in windows, boot mode ? simple mode = safe mode ?)
3) and create RAID 1 ( do you have to install new driver ? Does Windows Vista detect and install itself all needed drivers ?) What program or option do you use to "create" raid 1 ?

Thank you
August 16, 2012 6:41:35 AM

So I figured out what you have to do:

If you do it from the ctrl-i utility screen it seems like the only way is for you to lose all of your data. Instead I made sure that my motherboard BIOS had my SATA controllers set to RAID then made sure I had the newest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed. Once that's done and I had restarted I opened intel RST then from the status screen selected create volume and used the GUI to select my two drives. On that screen it allows you to pick a source driver which will not lose data and it will automatically do the migration to the second drive (erasing anything on it).

Hope that helps!

(side note: if you don't have raid already enabled on an existing windows 7 installation, you need to tweak a registry key to keep it from blue screening after you change the SATA to raid in the BIOS. Fairly easy fix just goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStoreV in the registry and change the "Start" value from 3 to 0. I believe you should install Intel RST before you change this thing but I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary. Once you've updated the registry key just restart and change your Sata controller to RAID and you should be good to g
August 23, 2012 4:19:10 PM

luscoma said:

If you do it from the ctrl-i utility screen it seems like the only way is for you to lose all of your data. Instead I made sure that my motherboard BIOS had my SATA controllers set to RAID then made sure I had the newest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed. Once that's done and I had restarted I opened intel RST then from the status screen selected create volume and used the GUI to select my two drives. On that screen it allows you to pick a source driver which will not lose data and it will automatically do the migration to the second drive (erasing anything on it).

Hope that helps!

(side note: if you don't have raid already enabled on an existing windows 7 installation, you need to tweak a registry key to keep it from blue screening after you change the SATA to raid in the BIOS. Fairly easy fix just goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStoreV in the registry and change the "Start" value from 3 to 0. I believe you should install Intel RST before you change this thing but I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary. Once you've updated the registry key just restart and change your Sata controller to RAID and you should be good to g

That REALLY helped!!

I try to install Win7 with Raid enabled, but installation failed.. so I had to disable raid, then installation worked fine but re-enabling raid on bios windows cannot start... so your method worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot Sir
December 5, 2012 5:53:12 AM

luscoma said:

Hope that helps!

This is precisely what I needed! I couldn't install Intel's RST no matter what I did and windows would not boot if I had SATA controllers set to RAID. After switching that registry value, I could then restart, set the controllers to RAID and boot into windows.

From there windows installed a generic raid controller driver and Intel's website automatically pointed me to the RST download.

Currently migrating!!! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
March 20, 2013 11:43:23 AM

I just want to thank luscoma. After having spending ours by creating a ghost image then creating the raid volume with the bios utility (CTRL+I) and trying ghost again, I just finished with a unbotable and corrupted system.

So here is what I did:
1) Delete the raid volume I created with the bios utility.
2) Restore my ghost image in the first hardisk (SATA0)
3) Then, I booted into Windows and as suggested by luscoma, I downloaded the latest version from the intel rapid storage technology software.
4) Finally I choose create -> RAID 1 and now the data is migrating. Is not yet done, but I think it will work.

Thanks for this useful thread. I wish I had looked for it before starting.

Best regards
Josef
March 7, 2014 11:41:58 AM

luscoma said:

Hope that helps!

I know this a very old thread and sorry for brting in it back up i just wanted to say thank you for your post as its helped me sort mine out after it kept going funny i have now installed IRST thanks and in process of migrating the hdd back into raid 1 as it keeps playing up but hopefuly now it will be ok

!