Hard drive not detecting booting after standby

alibaba40

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hello, I just put my computer on stand by mode for the first time in my life and now every time i start my computer i get this message " Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key "
And in my setup mode theres no hard drive showing :( is it gone forever?? Everything was working perfect before i put that accidently on standby mode.

What method of going to standby did you use? You can go to standby using Windows Power Options, (preferred) or some motherboards will do it for you despite the fact that Windows is running, which is insane and causes tons of problems.

If you set the BIOS to go to standby, go back and select Disabled, so at least you can rule that out as a possibility. If you used Windows to go to standby, change it to an Always On system.

For now, you need to go to the BIOS and re-select your boot device. It is Ok to have the CD ROM be the first boot device, but then the HDD should be second, and make sure a HDD is selected as at least one of the boot devices.

If it keeps giving you problems, please report back with the make and model of the computer so we can look up important things about that machine to give more exact instructions of how to remedy your problem.

Yes, as it does save that second or 2 the BIOS will waste looking to see if there is a bootable CD in the drive, otherwise harmless. Been bit before so I just stay ready for trouble (nervous type, me)

Understandable. Though, if you ever need to boot off the CD/DVD, the first boot device can be changed in the BIOS.