Sign in with
Your question

Which stores do you buy your parts from?

Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2008 10:30:53 PM

Hello,

So my question is this: Is it safe to buy components at other online stores such as Mwave, buy.com, and similar average rating stores (according to Resellerratings.com)?

Newegg of course gets insane reviews, but I could save 10% more overall on my $1300-1400 computer if I bought items at different places on the internet. Do I need to be worried that certain websites will not have the same quality of components or they might ship them in a way that damages the components, i.e. a case?

I am thinking most places are safe, but what rating would you demand on resellerratings.com to determine the store is safe. I love Amazon, but it has quite a low customer satisfaction rating, so I do not know what to think!

Thanks guys.

More about : stores buy parts

May 19, 2008 11:01:04 PM

the quality of parts would be the same. they don't make the parts, just sell them. i always use either newgg.com or zipzoomfly.com. i've experienced zero problems with either etailer. personally i would not buy from some little know websites because of the returns. if you have to return and item for any reason, newegg is the best. i hear that they custumer service is very high, but i as yet have to have a problem with anyting to actually call and verify.
May 20, 2008 12:32:02 AM

I agree about returns. Customer Service is the biggest concern to me about shopping online.

Frys occasionally has better deals than newegg. http://www.frys.com

For stuff like monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc, I'd check local retailers at their websites too. Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like.
Related resources
May 20, 2008 1:07:10 AM

I have spent well over $50,000 at mWave and they are a quality merchant.
Buy.com is ok, they have a bit of a tough return policy though last time I checked.

Amazon is great, you have to remember people mainly write in to complain, most people with good experiences don't bother to write in.

Remember, you might save a little by buying from all over the place, but you have to factor in all the different shipping costs. It usually works out to about even.
May 20, 2008 1:11:34 AM

Dumb double posts tonight. Sorry!
May 20, 2008 3:34:07 AM

The site I purchase from the most (since ~2000) is Newegg.com. Next is ZipZoomFly. Those are the onse I consistently purchase item from.

I used to use Mwave (a.k.a. multi-wave.com back in 1998).

SVC.com for fans.
Performance-PCS.com for my HTPC case and fans.
!