Sign in with
Your question

Any Good Links to c2d vs i7 benchmarks??

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2009 6:14:13 AM

C2d vs i7 benchmarking graphs. I'm sure they're out there, can anyone guide me and give me a good link?

I was pretty much set on getting an i7...but the cost of C2d and boards like the ASUS P5QL Pro are so tempting. Maybe C2d now and wait for the 32nm process for a serious upgrade? Hmm decisions, decisions. Seeing the numbers would help though.
March 8, 2009 6:58:32 AM

nightelite said:
C2d vs i7 benchmarking graphs. I'm sure they're out there, can anyone guide me and give me a good link?

I was pretty much set on getting an i7...but the cost of C2d and boards like the ASUS P5QL Pro are so tempting. Maybe C2d now and wait for the 32nm process for a serious upgrade? Hmm decisions, decisions. Seeing the numbers would help though.

Has a bit more than you asked for...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=349...
March 8, 2009 7:18:32 AM

Yes, very complete! Thanks! Any that show overclocked numbers cause I believe the c2 will really shine there. Ahh! Spend $700+ dollars vs $300, the dilemma. But the i7 sounds so sexy, lol.
Related resources
March 8, 2009 7:41:16 AM

None that I'd trust off of the top of my head, Anandtech does have an article of the OC issues of the 'relatively' recent i7 cpus. I'm sure that there are many sites that have articles on OC'ing C2d's around.
a c 326 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 124 K Overclocking
March 8, 2009 6:31:12 PM

nightelite said:
Yes, very complete! Thanks! Any that show overclocked numbers cause I believe the c2 will really shine there. Ahh! Spend $700+ dollars vs $300, the dilemma. But the i7 sounds so sexy, lol.

The difference can be $150.

You will spend $50 more for 6gb of i7 ram vs 4gb.
A X58 mob will be about $100 more.
An i7 920 will cost about the same as a Q9550.

On the anandtech article, look at the i7-965 numbers. That is where you can be with a trivial overclock.
If you want a quad, the i7 is a no brainer.
March 8, 2009 9:18:28 PM

The choice would be between c2d E8400 with cheap motherboard and wait for Sandy Bridge to get a real upgrade. Or buy the i7 and skip Sandy Bridge. Can't do both. I'm sure I could survive with eitherthe E8400 or i7 for what I do but I like the new stuff like most people. I actually think it's the price of the motherboards rather than the processors that is holding me back.
!