Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 won't boot or reinstall, even with new HD

Last response: in Windows 7
December 8, 2009 3:31:58 PM

Problem description: Windows 7 fails to boot. I was playing a game when I was no longer to input anything (kb/mouse stopped working) although animations and sound continued. I restarted and the windows 7 animation appears, plays for awhile then freezes. I can start in safemode but that's it. Attempting to run the recovery tool gives me a "windows loading" screen then goes to a black screen. On my initial install of windows 7 on a brand new HD a week ago I had no problems getting it up and running.

Attempted fixes: System restore. Last good configuration. Uninstall video drivers. I tried doing a new install but all having the DVD in does is give me "loading windows" screen prior to freezing at the windows 7 animation. I tried putting in a vista disk and I get a similar problem, it hangs at the loading windows animated bar, but without the logo. I even tried putting in a brand new HD and disconnecting the old one and it STILL starts trying to load windows 7 (with the install dvd in), and it will still freeze with the vista disk in.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: Intel i5-750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R, Radeon 4870, 4 gigs ram, maxtor hd, tried replacing it with a WD hd

More about : windows boot reinstall

December 8, 2009 3:54:29 PM

I have not, I'm going to reinstall the old HD and I will report back after I try this out. Thank you
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2009 4:07:34 PM

It won't let me do it in safemode, which is the only way I have access to windows 7
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 4:13:00 PM

Boot to your Windows 7 DVD

Select 'Install'

On the second screen, select 'repair' yes, yes, yes, yes, restart.
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:46:10 PM

I did what the repair install said only selecting to do a regular install. Stills hang at the win7 animation and I've basically lost access to safe mode because it gives me the message "win7 can not complete installation in safe mode, please restart".

I think it's a BIOS issue as having a clean HD in there still results in win7 hanging at the animation screen.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 4:56:19 PM

You have to boot to the MEDIA, not in Safe Mode.

Go into your build, and set your optical drive as the 1st boot drive, then HDD.
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:58:01 PM

Scott: Already have it set up like that
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 5:00:34 PM

*sigh*

I think not, since it's telling you you're in Safe Mode. If you booted to the media, that wouldn't happen.

Let's try something else, then: Open an elevated command prompt and type: sfc scannow That will scan system files. Takes a while to complete, so it might be a good time to go to the store or watch some TV.

m
l
December 8, 2009 5:03:36 PM

Under the BIOS's boot priority I have CDROM set to the first and Hard drive to the second.

I can no longer access safe mode after trying the repair install because when I boot to it I get a windows screen that says "Windows can not finish installing in safe mode, please restart" and just restarting it, even when booting from the CD has me hanging at the windows 7 animation
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 5:26:38 PM

...just a minute - You have a new hard drive installed?? Why would you do that when removing the old hard drive also removes the operating system?
m
l
December 8, 2009 5:43:55 PM

No, I was having this problem and I had an extra virgin hard drive. I swapped them, as I was going to attempt to just say forget it and put win7 a new HD and use that, but I got the same problem (even while booting from the win7 dvd, with a virgin HD, it would freeze at the win7 animation after going through the "loading files" bar. This was before I even had a chance to install win7 on the new drive). When I saw your first post, I swapped them again, booted to safe mode, and followed the directions to reinstall, which resulted in me losing access to safemode (It tells me it needs to finish installing win7, and it can't do that in safemode) but the problem of win7 hanging at the animation persist.

Sorry If I haven't been that clear, and I do appreciate the help you're giving me.

Edit: I unplugged the current, original HD just now and tried to boot it just from the DVD. same problem. I get "loading windows files" and once the bar is filled, it moves on to the animation and proceeds to freeze after a few seconds.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 7:30:47 PM

OK

Down to troubleshooting 101...

Disconnect *everything* that doesn't absolutely have to be there: Printers, USB devices, anything stuck to your comp that isn't the memory, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive, PSU, etc. Recommend disconnecting any additional optical drives you may have, if you're running multiples.

Once there, try booting to the DVD again.
m
l
December 9, 2009 1:44:45 AM

Scotteq said:
OK

Down to troubleshooting 101...

Disconnect *everything* that doesn't absolutely have to be there: Printers, USB devices, anything stuck to your comp that isn't the memory, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive, PSU, etc. Recommend disconnecting any additional optical drives you may have, if you're running multiples.

Once there, try booting to the DVD again.

Doesn't do anything. Even tried disconnecting the Harddrive and trying to let it run off the CD that way and it still freezes at the animation.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 1:48:26 AM

Sounds like bad ram.... download and burn a copy of MemTest86+ and see if you get any errors.
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:27:44 PM

I was wandering if you ever found out what is wrong, I'm having the same exact problems you explained pretty much to the T. And I also have the same processor/MB model you have. Any help would be so very much appreciated. Thanks in advance
m
l
!