Earth, it's a small world after all...

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

I thought Google maps satellite view was cool. But this program is
really nifty.

It's the cat's knees, or the bee's pajamas, or something equally good!

http://earth.google.com/

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:13:33 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> I wish I could get on at Google! I saw a thing about their campus on
> the Food Network. They have a team of chefs and awesome free food
> 24/7. One of the perks of workin' for the big G.

As I've said somewhere else, the day google produce something worthwhile
for the internet, that'll be the day I'll actually take them seriously.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:13:33 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> I wish I could get on at Google! I saw a thing about their campus on
>> the Food Network. They have a team of chefs and awesome free food
>> 24/7. One of the perks of workin' for the big G.
>
> As I've said somewhere else, the day google produce something worthwhile
> for the internet, that'll be the day I'll actually take them seriously.

Just plain old google is my search engine of choice. It is indispensable.
I use it for medical research in my job and it is by far the best search
engine for me. Like anything, it takes knowing how to search effectively to
week through all the garbage, but nothing else comes close to supplying what
I need. Their other projects may be fun for some, but I could care less
about them.

Quixote

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Mr K wrote:

> As I've said somewhere else, the day google produce something worthwhile
> for the internet, that'll be the day I'll actually take them seriously.

Well, aside the from the obvious, such as search, Froogle, and Google
Groups, they do have some useful tools.

1) Google Desktop Search. Sure, it's not for the Internet, but if you're
using Outlook, like I have to do at work, it's extremely useful.

2) MSDN searching. Google's search is better than's Microsoft's search
when it comes to looking up the documentation for an API.

3) Google Video - http://video.google.com/

4) Google Maps - http://maps.google.com/

5) Google Distributed Computing - http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html

6) Google Scholar - http://scholar.google.com/

Mr K wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:13:33 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>

>>I wish I could get on at Google! I saw a thing about their campus on
>>the Food Network. They have a team of chefs and awesome free food
>>24/7. One of the perks of workin' for the big G.
>

> As I've said somewhere else, the day google produce something worthwhile
> for the internet, that'll be the day I'll actually take them seriously.

Like their search engine, you mean?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:43:56 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> Like their search engine, you mean?

Given that 75% (at least) of the results off their search 'engine' require
you to access the cache, so you can actually read what the overview was
showing...

--

Mr K wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:43:56 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:
>

>>Like their search engine, you mean?
>
> Given that 75% (at least) of the results off their search 'engine' require
> you to access the cache, so you can actually read what the overview was
> showing...

Y'know, I consider that cache a feature. It's part simple up-to-date
search engine, and part wayback-machine (http://web.archive.org/)

And the pages where the cache is essential are pages that are hard to
index anyway, given that they're usually forum pages which don't keep
unique ID's, or whatever. Proper forums which keep all threads archived
by unique thread ID are not broken by Google. What do you want, for
Google to toss pages that don't archive themselves properly?

The good thing about Google is not that it is incredibly up-to-date,
it's that it finds what I'm looking for. It does so using their pagerank
algorithm. It also has ads which aren't intrusive but more or less
appropriate, which I consider a good thing.

I know you're a crotchety old madman, but ye gods, do not dismiss that
which works because it isn't perfect.
--
Frank

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> http://earth.google.com/

The Plus sounds interesting, with the GPS integration, but it doesn't say
what the GPS hardware requirements are. I don't think there's a standard
for tracks and routes, so they'd need to have it parse specific
manufacturer's formats. Or maybe they just talk NMEA direct to the GPS and
store the tracks and routes in their own format, so they don't actually get
downloaded to the GPS. (I've got a Garmin Etrex Vista with Garmin Map
Source maps of North American Cities and can pull up many points of
interest (eg. restaurants and hotels) right on the unit with no computer
attached.)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:18:15 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> http://earth.google.com/
>
>The Plus sounds interesting, with the GPS integration, but it doesn't say
>what the GPS hardware requirements are. I don't think there's a standard
>for tracks and routes, so they'd need to have it parse specific
>manufacturer's formats. Or maybe they just talk NMEA direct to the GPS and
>store the tracks and routes in their own format, so they don't actually get
>downloaded to the GPS. (I've got a Garmin Etrex Vista with Garmin Map
>Source maps of North American Cities and can pull up many points of
>interest (eg. restaurants and hotels) right on the unit with no computer
>attached.)

The thing I thought was interesting about it was the topographical
terrain values that make, say, the Grand Canyon an actual 3D
representation on screen when you tilt the map flat.

I found Ayers Rock in Australia. Too. And Palermo, Sicily is
accurately portrayed with the surrounding mountains.

Many of the major US city's have been modeled with featureless
polygons, but it gives you an idea of the skyline that you don't get
from a flat top-down satellite image.

Best of all, it's free for the "plain" version. All you need is a
beefy enough video card, which everyone in this group should have and
a broadband connection to the internet to pull the mapping. Not sure
if they're doing a Linux version, though.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Quixote wrote:
> Just plain old google is my search engine of choice. It is
> indispensable. I use it for medical research in my job and it is by
> far the best search engine for me. Like anything, it takes knowing
> how to search effectively to week through all the garbage, but
> nothing else comes close to supplying what I need. Their other
> projects may be fun for some, but I could care less about them.
>
> Quixote

It's the *best* search engine available, imnsho.

Even a geek-wanna-be like myself can find what
I'm in search of, without special knowledge or skills.
It's indespensible to me at least once a day.

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Mr K wrote:
>>> Like their search engine, you mean?
>
> I know you're a crotchety old madman, but ye gods, do not dismiss that
> which works because it isn't perfect.

LOL!! "crotchety old madman". ROFL

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:13:33 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
> > I wish I could get on at Google! I saw a thing about their campus on
> > the Food Network. They have a team of chefs and awesome free food
> > 24/7. One of the perks of workin' for the big G.
>
> As I've said somewhere else, the day google produce something worthwhile
> for the internet, that'll be the day I'll actually take them seriously.
>
> --
> "You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
> R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

the best search engine ever? Not to mention if the page no longer exists
there's a strong chance the cache has it and its very usefully accessable?

Ummm, Gmail? The first free GB email service, which quickly went to 2GB,
and everything? Nothin wrong with that.

maps.google.com is the *BEST* mapping site on the net, imo. Not to mention,
click and drag. Granted the sattelite thing is a bit useless, but otherwise
its AWESOME.

Google Toolbar. Very little (IE: almost none) CPU overhead, halfway decent
pop-up blocker, and neat features. Has all the other bars beat.

Nope, I don't think they've done anything.