Is there a decent upgrade for me currently?

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Im talking realistic gains here.

Ive looked at all of the benchmarks, but most of them dont seem to break down the Nvidia products in a way I can understand...

I have a 8800 GTS 640. Its about 2 years old now. I havent had reason to upgrade, because I have only really played WoW.

However, I have been playing AoC the last few weeks, and it is stuttering a little more than I would like. The FPS seems to hang at a decent level, but I really think it could do better.

Im sure the 8800 GTX would be an upgrade, but I also dont really want to spend $500-600 on a card.

I did just upgrade from an E6700 to an E8400, and that helped for the $190 at Newegg.

Im just wondering if any of the other 8800 series would be worthwhile for me to purchase, or if I should just wait 4-6 months for the G line.

How much RAM is in your system? If less than 2GB, get more.
If you wait a couple of weeks for the new cards, the prices of others will likely come down a little.
What is your resolution? Is AA turned on? You may be able to tweak settings for some improvement.

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

I run XP Pro and have 2G of Kingston Hyper X 1066

If you wait a couple of weeks for the new cards, the prices of others will likely come down a little.
What is your resolution? Is AA turned on? You may be able to tweak settings for some improvement.[/quotemsg]

I always run at 1280x1026

I was looking at the 9800 GTX cards. Any good?

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Yah, I agree. I spent the morning staring at the 9800 GTX's on Newegg and eBay.

If the new cards werent a month or so from fruition, I would buy the Evga with the step up program...

However, I think it is realistically to adjust my AoC settings for now, and buy once I can make an educated decision.