Blue screen errors only with 2 RAM sticks installed

jsheppard

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hello,

I have 2 sticks of 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400C4 RAM. I am using a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L mATX board (2 ram slots, which will be referred to as A and B). I have run into problems consisting of blue screen errors that occur before Windows XP displays the login screen. I am using a legitimate version of XP and "Fail-Safe" BIOS settings (no overclocking).

I have ran a memtest86+ test on both of the memory modules inserted at the same time. They passed 50 tests together. I have not yet run them separately as it did not seem necessary.

To troubleshoot, I spent awhile testing various RAM configurations. To test them for blue screen errors, I just turned on the computer to let it load XP.

When I had RAM 1 and 2 in slots A and B, respectively, 6 out of 10 tests returned blue screen errors.

When I then used only RAM 1 in slot A, I went 20 tests without errors. Switching RAM 1 to slot B, I went 20 tests without errors. Using only RAM 2 in slot A, I went 20 tests without errors. Using only RAM 2 in slot B, I went 20 tests without errors.

I then switched to RAM 2 in slot A and RAM 1 in slot B. I got 5 errors out of 20 tests.

Reverting back to RAM 1 in slot A and RAM 2 in slot B, I got 3 blue screens in the first 4 tests (and then quit testing)

Sorry if that is lengthy, but here's the summary. I only get blue screen errors with both sticks in. The problem seems worse when RAM 1 is in slot A, and RAM 2 is in slot B. Either way, whenever there was 2 sticks in, I saw errors within 20 tests. Whenever there was 1 stick in, there were no errors within 20 tests.

Is this a problem with the RAM? Or should I suspect faulty motherboard memory slots?

Thanks,

Gimbey

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
JSheppard - I have been having similar problems, actually, identical problems as you and I finally had Geek Squad inspect my computer. Both of my RAM sticks tested fine individually, but whenever 2 sticks were installed, my computer would blue screen with either a USB Bugcode or display driver error. The Geek Squad guy spent 5 hours testing each and every configuration of RAM, but whenever he tried a dual configuration, we'd get an error. He is convinced that there is something wrong with the motherboard chips that are handling memory in a dual configuration (I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard).

I upgraded my 1 gig stick for a 2 gig stick and everything is working without a hitch, but I would like to find out if anyone knows if this is truly a motherboard issue or if there is a way to fix the problem. I would hate to go through the effort of installing a new motherboard only to find out an easier solution.

Thanks

Deisel23

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
I am seeing an identical problem on an ASUS Striker II extreme

1 stick in 1a or 1b works just fine

1stick in 2a or 2b is shakey (haven't completed the testing)

2 sticks, will not boot! BSoD

Memory voltage and timing are set to factory specs.

Corsair XMS3 DDR3

Intel Qx 9650

All the latest chipset drivers, and Bios.

amitshahc

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I am also facing the same problem. i have 1gb and 2gb ram. when i install it together then only the bsod occurs. otherwise individual runs perfect. pls give me solution. as i want to use both.

i have asus motherboard and amd x2 245 processor.

also is increasing voltage to 2.1 won't affect anything? will it solve this issue? then i will try.