Sign in with
Your question

Question about Hard Drives and OS

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2009 9:08:59 PM

I'm building a new computer, and was wanting to use a Velociraptor for the main OS, but since I have a lot of games that I play that take up a lot of space, I was wondering if there was any penalty in terms of speed if I were to install the games on a seperate hard drive.

Thanks for any answers you provide!

More about : question hard drives

a b G Storage
August 22, 2009 10:14:07 PM

The games will be faster on the velociraptor, but if 300 gig isn't' big enough get a black or 12

I usually set up two drives the fastest I can afford for os and apps and a second for data storage
m
l
a b G Storage
August 22, 2009 11:06:43 PM

bdcrlsn said:
I'm building a new computer, and was wanting to use a Velociraptor for the main OS, but since I have a lot of games that I play that take up a lot of space, I was wondering if there was any penalty in terms of speed if I were to install the games on a seperate hard drive.

Thanks for any answers you provide!

I don't have any idea what your budget may be, but if you're looking for speed, consider an OCZ Vertex or Patriot TorqX SSD. If you do consider an SSD, make sure you do your research and get one that has an Indilinx controller, (stay away from the JMicron controllers). Be sure and check the read/write speeds as they can vary. Several models can be purchased for just a little more money than the 300 GB Velociraptor, or consider a WD 640GB Black drive. You could create a boot partition for your OS (say 32 - 40 GB), and a second partition for your games and other stuff. Creating the fisrt partition for the OS at the beginning of the drive would make it darn near as fast as the 300 GB Velociraptor, but at one third the cost. Then you'd have the rest of the drive (something slightly under 600 GB for your games.

Check here for the WD 640: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2009 11:17:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, however, I'm just wondering if my games will take any framerate or speed hits from being on a different drive than the OS.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 22, 2009 11:25:33 PM

Nope, unless it's a really, really, really slow HD.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 23, 2009 12:16:57 AM

assuming the drives are the same speed, then no
m
l
!