RyanS2000

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I have a cooler master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW case and it comes with a 120mm rear exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan which sits in front of the hard-drive bays, blowing directly on them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

I was considering adding an intake fan to increase air flow in the case. Is it better to have more exhaust flow or intake flow, or equal on each end? I was thinking that having more flow from the exhaust could possibly help to bring cold air through the entire front of the case (the whole front is mesh). On the same token, having a 120mm cranking cold air in from the front plus having an 80mm would bring in a lot of air too.

Which do you think is better:

1 x 80mm intake, blowing on hdd's
1 x 120mm intake, below dvd drive, blowing in direction of CPU\memory
- (if you look at the case, i have my dvd drive mounted in the top location, the 120mm intake fan would be directly under that)
1 x 120mm exhaust fan

or

the stock config;
1 x 80 intake, blowing on hdd's
1x 120mm exhaust

I love that case. I had it and cut a hole in the top for an additional 120mm case and used a rubber rim to cover the rough edges and used a fan guard to cover the fan. I dont know if I can find any pictures of the mod but if I do I will post them here so you will better know what I am talking about.

You can also put another 120mm fan on the side that the motherboard is mounted to. I did this too and set it as an intake and had a hard drive slot cooler that fastened into a slot where a hard drive would go and it was between my two hard drives.

I ended up giving it to my girlfriends brother and he loves it. It was one of my favorite mods I made. Plenty of airflow. You can do a lot with that case for a low price...

RyanS2000

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
englandr, since it's new I really don't want to chop it up or anything. But down that road that's a possibility.

pcgamer, I am not buying anything other than a 120mm fan. The 80mm is pre-installed with the case, it is mounted right above the powerbutton panel and blows directly onto the HDD's mounted behind it. That is the only intake fan the case has. I'm asking if the addition of a 120mm intake fan to supplement airflow would be beneficial or if it would be better to have the exhaust fan sorta of sucking-in air from the front via pressure

If you have the right tools and use the rubber trim made to cover the metal edges, it looks factory. I was impressed with it and it totally changed the functionality of the case cooling wise...

RyanS2000

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I'm sure I can do it, I'm definitely a do-it-yourselfer. I would prefer not to go that route yet though, my temps arent bad at all and I'm not planning on OC'ing my E8400 further than 4.0ghz. I don't think this case really needs any kind of modification besides adding fans (if that at all). The whole front end is open which allows for tons of airflow. If a 120mm on the front isn't enough I may put one where the CPU vent is (if my CPU heatsink will allow it when I install it).

If you have no idea on how to do it, then your probably better off not trying. If you do, or know someone that does and has the tools to do so, its worth a try.

Get the rubber trim, fan cover first then start cutting. ;)

Hehe, I posted this at the same time you replied. Good enough. I would try your way first then if your not happy then go for it... :bounce:

sailer

Splendid
Back to the question of having more intake, more exhaust, or equal numbers of fans, I tend to try to have equal numbers and sizes of fans, followed by more exhaust, using the idea that more exhaust gets rid of the hot air while passively drawing in cool air across the hard drives. A fan on the top of the case works very well in getting rid of hot air, but as you don't want to cut the case yet, then doubling up the fans in the back of the case will also work.

RyanS2000

Distinguished
May 23, 2008

Ah, thank you, exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. It's also what I didnt want to hear sorta, lol. Since the 80mm intake fan is already factory installed along with the fact that I like the idea that the HDD's have their own fan I really don't want to remove the 80mm. On the same token, there is no other location on the rear for an exhaust fan so my only option is to put another intake fan in on the front.

Do you think my case air flow is better as it is (120mm exhaust, 80mm intake) or better with (120mm exhaust, 80mm intake + 120mm intake).

Another idea is I could put an 80mm exhaust fan directly over the CPU. There is currently a vent there with a plastic cone that extends toward the CPU. I can remove that cone and there are 4 screw holes that can be used to mount a fan. This would also remove hot air trapped at the top of the case and pull away hot air from the heatsink. This would create 120mm and 80mm exhaust and 120mm and 80mm intake.