Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
I have had an interesting time overclocking my computer but one question I have still remains unanswered despite my "google" research. That is:

Why does the core speed increase even when the cores aren't loaded to anywhere near 100%?

I have tried to be enviromentally responsible and use the cpu intelligent accelerator and dynamic energy saving features on my motherboard yet the core speed will still increase without it being anywhere near 100% load. It steps down to 2Ghz but will still jump without being anywhere near full load.

All replies appreciated, thank you.

It will throttle up and down. Its the nature of that feature. My laptop did the same thing. It may be that some programs are routinely accessing resources causing the cpu to throttle.

You could close some background programs that you dont need to see if it stablizes. If it doesnt, its not the end of the world anyway. I wouldnt worry about it...

Because that is the way it was designed...

But seriously, if you want to save some power drop your FSB, multiplier and voltage to absolute minimums in your BIOS. I run my Q6600 @ 1.2Ghz (6x200Mhz) 1.1V (Mb minimum) when I am not gaming or doing anything CPU intensive. Never had a problem with it. Always enough power for surfing the web, watching videos (even HD video is no problem as all current GPU's offer hardware acceleration) and even playing older games.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I would like to wind the cpu core and fsb right down but my use is eratic, somtimes I use very little other times all 4 cores are at 100%, 100% loaded. I tried the dynamic overclock feature feature on my board and its finally working right but still not accepting 100% load before it ups the core speed.