CD drive not recodnized by windows

nooranik21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
While putting music on my computer one day, I noticed my computer was not recognizing my optical CD drive. I received the Code 39 error page. I looked it up and got instructions to fix this problem, by going to the registry editor to remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters. I removed these filters and it still did not work. Frustrated I took my computer to a local computer store and they said they fixed it. I got it back and they didn't fix anything. I looked in the registry editor expecting to find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters were still there but they were not there. I have no idea what to do is there anything I can do?

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Did you follow the instructions given by Microsoft on this page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

or some other set of instructions ?

Just for the heck of it, I suggest you try the downloadable wizard in the MS page and follow the rest of their instructions.

I remember solving that problem manually quite a while back on a client's computer, I also remember that the problem was caused by some piece of software that did something with CD drives and/or virtual CD drives but, I cannot remember any other details at this time.

If you paid that computer store for their "fix", I'd take it back there and request they fix it or refund the money.

HTH.

nooranik21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I tried the downloadable wizard from Microsoft, and it said my computer matched the settings it should have. I also tried multiple driver corruption programs they did not find anything either. I think I am just gonna have to take my computer back to them and ask them to "fix" it once again.

Thank you

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

You're welcome.

I remember the problem in the instance I solved was due to a configuration conflict caused by another piece of software. It was not due to driver corruption just misconfiguration in the registry but I cannot remember which program caused the problem. If I remember I'll post it.