how to protected folders

hello

how protected a folder without using any third party utility.

thanks
nijesh
5 answers Last reply
More about protected folders

    Hi Nijesh,

    You use permissions.

    How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
    Windows XP (Pro only)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    If you have WinXP Home, you will need to restart in Safe mode and logon as
    administrator to set permissions, as that is the only way you will see the
    security tab.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > how protected a folder without using any third party utility.
    >
    > thanks
    > nijesh

    You cannot password protect individual folders in XP. You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Update for anyone following the thread:

    Nijesh informed me privately via email that he wanted to password a folder,
    not set permissions. This was my response:

    Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
    (right click a folder, then "send to --> compressed folder") and then open
    the zip file, you will find an option under file/"add a password". However,
    there are many freeware utilities available that will do this. Just google
    "password protect folders".

    --

    > Hi Nijesh,
    >
    > You use permissions.
    >
    > How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder
    > in Windows XP (Pro only)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
    >
    > If you have WinXP Home, you will need to restart in Safe mode and logon as
    > administrator to set permissions, as that is the only way you will see the
    > security tab.
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hello
    >>
    >> how protected a folder without using any third party utility.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> nijesh

    To make your folders private

    1.. Open My Computer.
    2.. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:),
    unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show
    the contents of this drive.

    3.. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    4.. Double-click your user folder.
    5.. Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click
    Properties.
    6.. On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I
    have access to it check box.
    Notes

    a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b.. This option is only available for folders included in your user
    profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its
    subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make
    these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your
    computer.
    c.. When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as
    well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My
    Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all
    of its subfolders unless you make them private.
    d.. You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as
    NTFS. For information about converting your drive to NTFS, click Related
    Topics.
    "Nijesh" <nijesh.b@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > how protected a folder without using any third party utility.
    >
    > thanks
    > nijesh

    begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)