Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Am I just spending money??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 27, 2008 11:54:10 AM

Currently run:
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
Intel E6600
4GB GSkill Ram
ATI 100-435801 Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM
XP PRO

Looking at the q9300 maybe vista? with a DX10 video card....

foolish?

More about : spending money

June 27, 2008 12:02:00 PM

Man you can clock the living daylights out of the E6600, I have a quad and can't even load up all 4 coress playing crysis at 1152x864 with everything set to very high. Why dont you load up cpu-z and core temp to see if your cpu is the bottleneck, if not just get a good card.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:02:11 PM

I think I'd have your graphics card down as the first upgrade. Will make a bigger difference than the processor in gaming, although the processor will make more of a difference in image/video manipulation.

8800GT? 9600gtx? HD4850? HD4870?

What's your budget?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:05:45 PM

Are you a gamer?
If yes a better video card would help. You would probably want Nvidia since you have SLI.
You might want Vista SP1 64-bit, although there is nothing worng with XP Pro.

a c 140 à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:16:03 PM

+1 on upgrading the video card first.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:16:39 PM

No dont get a Q9300, OC your E6600, i were in the same situation, i wanted to change my E6600 and get a Q6600, but i didn't i OC'd my E6600 to 3.2GHZ and i love it :) 

If u don't game alot,then keep the entire system,its a solid rig u have :) 
But if u game alot, then only upgrade your GPU to HD 4850 or HD 4870
June 27, 2008 12:25:30 PM

wait for nehalem to upgrade CPU. yours is plenty good enough.
June 27, 2008 12:40:57 PM

Vertigon said:
Man you can clock the living daylights out of the E6600, I have a quad and can't even load up all 4 coress playing crysis at 1152x864 with everything set to very high. Why dont you load up cpu-z and core temp to see if your cpu is the bottleneck, if not just get a good card.


:lol: 

I've ran Crysis on my E4400 and noticed not even a dual core gets fully loaded. Although I did notice it runs a lil more rougher then my Quad.

I wish people would stop saying that, but I guess they have nothing else better to say.

Crysis will run better on a quad (IMO), when the game has action going on. If you just standing in a peaceful part of the jungle, do you really want your cores to be loaded up, like you see on a regular single thread game, like Quake 3?

Running the Quake3 Demo, to where I normally see one core loaded on XP (90-100 percent), on Vista 64bit, one core is roughly 68 percent, and the other cores are NOT at idle, they still are at 10-30 percent loads.

I suppose I didn't play Crysis enough on XP when I had my quad to really notice how well if it does off balance. I'm only assuming, like I said before, that the threshold of the CPU usage is different in XP vs Vista.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:43:23 PM

Maziar said:
No dont get a Q9300, OC your E6600, i were in the same situation, i wanted to change my E6600 and get a Q6600, but i didn't i OC'd my E6600 to 3.2GHZ and i love it :) 

If u don't game alot,then keep the entire system,its a solid rig u have :) 
But if u game alot, then only upgrade your GPU to HD 4850 or HD 4870


I reckon two HD 4850 is gonna be better value
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 12:49:12 PM

amdfangirl said:
I reckon two HD 4850 is gonna be better value


But in how many games will Crossfire scale well?
June 27, 2008 12:56:11 PM

amdfangirl said:
I reckon two HD 4850 is gonna be better value



If your power supply can handle it.

If not, then youre in money on at least an 800w psu.


I just bought an OCZ StealthXStream 6 months ago because I wanted an 80%+ psu.

Has a 5 year warranty, and I really dont want to upgrade it because its "only" a 600 :kaola: 

For me, the 4870 will be the better value. Although...I am going to wait until a 1GB 4870 is available.

That is a good enough card to run for quite some time. MY 8800GTS 640 lasted 2 years...no reason a 4870 shouldnt as well.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 1:01:44 PM

amdfangirl said:
I reckon two HD 4850 is gonna be better value


Well a single HD 4850 is a solid card,and also he has a SLI board.

To thall17,what resolution do u play @?
June 27, 2008 1:03:24 PM

OK so it looks like a new video is the way to go....

4870, forgive me but is SLI 2 video cards??? IS it really worth it?

Thanks everyone....

Oh anyone have the propper settings to OC my system or is there software out there that will do it for me?

Again my thanks
June 27, 2008 1:08:41 PM

eaglesfan said:
If your power supply can handle it.

If not, then youre in money on at least an 800w psu.

Whoa, I don't think that's really necessary :??: 

To the OP, I'll cast my vote for upgrading the video card first; your CPU is not slow even by today's standards. I won't tell you what to buy 'cause it mostly comes down to personal preference...
Spoiler
:bounce:  HD4870 :bounce:  (or 4850 if you're on a tight budget)
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 1:13:18 PM

thall17 said:
OK so it looks like a new video is the way to go....

4870, forgive me but is SLI 2 video cards??? IS it really worth it?

Thanks everyone....

Oh anyone have the propper settings to OC my system or is there software out there that will do it for me?

Again my thanks



Go for a new card but 2 of them may not be necessary, also u cant run 2 HD 4870 on a SLI board, read the FAQ :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...
If u play @ 1280x1024 or lower, the a go for a HD 4850

OC'ng guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...

Temps:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745-11-core-quad...
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 1:15:02 PM

There is no software that will overclock you CPU with decent results.
You have to do yourself in the BIOS, sounds to me like you need to read up on overclocking, or simply don't do it.
You COULD use a new video card if you are a gamer, upgrade to Vista, other than that you are fine for now.
June 27, 2008 1:18:19 PM

any preference on the manufacture of the HD850?
June 27, 2008 1:51:38 PM

homerdog said:
Whoa, I don't think that's really necessary :??: 

To the OP, I'll cast my vote for upgrading the video card first; your CPU is not slow even by today's standards. I won't tell you what to buy 'cause it mostly comes down to personal preference...
Spoiler
:bounce:  HD4850 :bounce:  (or 4870)



Then you think wrong.

Crossfire 4850s pull a lot of power. Reread Toms review, and then Anands.

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 1:56:30 PM

eaglesfan said:
Then you think wrong.

Crossfire 4850s pull a lot of power. Reread Toms review, and then Anands.


Crossfire will pull bugger all on an Nvidia board though...
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:00:50 PM

True, but the 4870 is only 20%-30% faster and costs more =( ($299)
June 27, 2008 2:02:58 PM

mi1ez said:
Crossfire will pull bugger all on an Nvidia board though...



True, but I was just talking in reference to the person mentioning buying 2 4850s was the way to go.

Obviously, you cant use 2 ATIs on an SLI board, but just for arguments sake.
June 27, 2008 2:09:08 PM

Any preference on the manufacture of the HD4850?? And it's the 4850 I should get and not the 4870, correct?

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:23:17 PM

thall17 said:
Any preference on the manufacture of the HD4850?? And it's the 4850 I should get and not the 4870, correct?


Look at the pre-overclock, the bundle(games/adaptors etc.), the cooler, the warranty, and the price to determine what's best for you.

EDIT: added cooler
June 27, 2008 2:24:32 PM

I'm not an AMD fan, but that 4850 sure looks good for the price. It's down to $165 here! Will it conclusively beat a 9800GTX+?
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:25:49 PM

no, unless OC'd (4850 = hot( at least the reference design))
June 27, 2008 2:27:09 PM

Do you mean the 4850 runs hot or it's a hot product so it's the one to buy?
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:28:52 PM

Hot... very high temps! Would wait for something like Sapphire's Toxic 3870 cooler
June 27, 2008 2:33:23 PM

Are there any good aftermarket air coolers for the 48xx? I certainly wouldn't want to go water. (BTW, I mean now on the market...)
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2008 2:42:36 PM

I know of none
June 27, 2008 2:51:46 PM

eaglesfan said:
Then you think wrong.

Crossfire 4850s pull a lot of power. Reread Toms review, and then Anands.

Crossfire? I don't recall ever mentioning such a thing. The OP doesn't even have a Crossfire compatible motherboard..

@thall17: I just finished reading another 4870 review and on second thought that seems like the card to get. It really is significantly faster than the 4850, enough in my opinion to fully justify the $100 premium. I'll go back and edit my previous post :) 
June 27, 2008 2:56:10 PM

antonmadcow said:
Are there any good aftermarket air coolers for the 48xx? I certainly wouldn't want to go water. (BTW, I mean now on the market...)

The coolers for the HD3800 cards will fit the HD4800 cards. This looks like a good one:
Accelero S1 Rev. 2
June 27, 2008 3:38:13 PM

Would the Accelero for the 38xx series be able to cool the 48xx adequately? Does the newer series crank out more heat?
June 27, 2008 4:10:25 PM

antonmadcow said:
Would the Accelero for the 38xx series be able to cool the 48xx adequately?

The Accelero is surely more capable than the stock 4850 gizmo.
antonmadcow said:
Does the newer series crank out more heat?

Yes, considerably.
June 27, 2008 4:29:26 PM

antonmadcow said:
Are there any good aftermarket air coolers for the 48xx? I certainly wouldn't want to go water. (BTW, I mean now on the market...)


Yes, there are several that will fit and work very nicely, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Read the whole review, the link jumps in at page 21 where they test an after market gpu cooler.

See the system power consumption figures in the chart bottom of page 20 of review. Note that this is system power consumption as configured, not just the graphics cards.
June 27, 2008 4:48:51 PM

If it was myself...I would OC the CPU and buy any brand 8800GTS (they all OC basicly the same).
June 27, 2008 4:59:03 PM

Excellent article. Thanks for the link rgsaunders. As for the 8800GTS I don't think that an OC'd one would keep up with a 9800GTX+ and/or 48xx, would it? Let's not even mention that it costs about 30% more!
June 27, 2008 5:33:04 PM

ZOldDude said:
If it was myself...I would OC the CPU and buy any brand 8800GTS (they all OC basicly the same).

:o  Are you posting this from two weeks ago?
June 27, 2008 5:35:24 PM

antonmadcow said:
Excellent article. Thanks for the link rgsaunders. As for the 8800GTS I don't think that an OC'd one would keep up with a 9800GTX+ and/or 48xx, would it? Let's not even mention that it costs about 30% more!

No, no it wouldn't. It would make no sense to buy an 8800GTS of any sort at this point.
June 27, 2008 6:50:03 PM

homerdog said:
No, no it wouldn't. It would make no sense to buy an 8800GTS of any sort at this point.


Looks like Nvidia will have to reshuffle its pricing policies in a hurry. I think they've been caught with their pants down. This may be the first right move AMD has made in two years.
!