Please Help! New build computer freezes while playing any game

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I have this issue ever since i built the computer. Until now, i could not find any answer to my problem. So I am desperate in need for help. I built my computer few months back with the following specs:

. intel core2duo e6750 2.66ghz
. asus p5k deluxe
. CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
. xfx 8800 gts 512mb xxx alpha dog edition
. x-fi extreme gamer
. seagate barracuda 7200.10 320gb sata

This what usually happens when I run any game. I will be in the gameplay for about less than 5 mins, my computer will either freeze (w/ repeated sound going on and on forever) or I would get a blue screen error from windows. I am no running windows xp profession edition. I tried other os, such as, windows vista ultimate edition, windows xp 64 bit. Both operating systems run poorly and it doesn't seem like its running @ a full performance because some of the features wouldn't work properly.

This is what I have tried so far....
1. Reinstalling between different os. the most stable is win xp pro.
2. uninstall and take out the sound card and just have the video card running.
3. I have my onboard sound device turned off while x-fi extreme gamer is installed to prevent conflict.

Please. If anyone have similar problem or know a way to fix it. Please message me or e-mail. thanks a lot!

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
how could i forget that.. . sorry. my psu spec is
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 650W Power Supply

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
and the games i've tried so far that i have problems w/ are ...

World in Conflicts
Company of Heroes
Lost Planet

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
the cpu and motherboard are running @ a decent temp. the gpu fan is spinning properly. How do you mean by faulty ? Do you mean that it doesn't speed up as it should on high load ?

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
yeah, thats what i mean. Try turning your fan speed of your 8800 GTS to max before you enter a game and then see what happens. If it still does the same thing, run prime 95. If you get unstable, that means you rather have faulty cpu or ram, if you get BSOD then same thing. If it restarts, that means you have somekind of overheat or something is unstable. Right now, my best guess is that you got a faulty mobo OR ram. The other components should be fine, unless your cpu also.

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I have tried controlling the gpu fan before with rivatuner. But the result is still the same. either the computer freezes or if i'm lucky, the game just shuts off with an error.

Something knew that I realize today while i did the reboot was that I notice on the booting up screen that my computer is running @ a 1066mhz "single channel mode". the 1066 is correct but I should be running in dual channel since the memory I got comes in 2. I wonder if that means the memory card is faulty or is it the mobo? Any idea?

by the way.. might be a stupid question but what does 'BSOD' mean?

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
one thing i failed to mention one thing about after logging into windows... sometimes windows will pop up a msg saying that the system is force to restart because some system.exe or some sort of system file has unexpectedly shutdown so the windows is forced to shutdown and a countdown of 1 min starts before shutting down the computer. now sure if memory has anything to do with it.

what I just tried earlier is that putting only 1 memory stick in at a time and switching them to see if it would work fine by itself and to see which one of them is the faulty one. When i Did that, the windows force shutdown screen pops up for both memory.

it's kinda frustrating... =(

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
BSOD is blue screen of death. If that is happening, i can come up with 2 likely reasons, your rather so unluck that both memories are screwed up OR there is something wrong with your motherboard. Those are my guesses, system.exe is a software problem but seeing that you've tried installing other OS it might be something to do with memory. If you can, try some other memory, and if it still does that, try RMA your motherboard. Those are just my guesses. I never really had that problem before.

By the way, have you tried updating drivers for your 8800 GTS, if its just games, that could be the reason besides hardware failures.

Kackattack

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i feel like i am having the same problem, except its not just games but just browsing the internet. i got it from my friend this year and he claims it worked before and its I who messed up the computer. i've reformatted the comp 9 times since i got it (spring break) and the same things always happen, BSOD and a regular frozen screen. i'm tired of this cpmp freezing, and i need help

SPECS:
Intel(R) core (TM)2 quadCPU@ 2.40 GHz
2.40 GHz, 2.00GB or ram (using 1 at the moment because i believe the one is out is the corrupeted one based on a memtest)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX fully updated from website

im thinking of scraping it and just buying a XPS gaming computer...

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
thanks for another reply, night-stalker. first off, i would like to mention that the file that was unexpectedly shutdown was service.exe from system32 folder. I think u got the idea of it.

I would like to also mention have tried the most current 3 drivers for xfx 8800 gts.

at first, i thought it might be a conflict between the sound card and the video card so i install, reinstall different drivers for both cards. Always tried to keep the updated version.

So last night, I tried something different. I replaced both my memory card with another set of 2 . CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit.

I tried it on 2 games so far : Company of Heroes and World in Conflict. Both runs pretty stable beside the fact that it was running a bit choppy on World in Conflict due to high graphic requirements. i'm test out some more w/ the same ram today. so hopefully it runs steady on these set of rams. If it does then what should i do w/ my existed ram? ( CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D )

Thanks for narrowing down the problem for me, Night-stalker.

Another thing I want to bring up again is that during the boot up w/ the new set of ram, the motherboard still show that the memory is running in 'single channel mode' . How do I go about changing settings on that? I tried looking for it in the BIOS but I just can't seem to find where to change that settings. Could it be an automatic detection by the board or like u said.. I'm just unlucky to get both faulty Ram and mobo?! =(

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

kackattack. based on what you said that the situation is similar... you might want to test your computer out w/ another Ram. If it works fine that it is most likely only your RAM is giving you the problem.

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
About the single channel memory, I have no idea how to fix that sorry, but try reading the motherboard manual. Regarding your other set of ram, i would try to get a RMA on it so when you get it back, you can have 4GB of ram (or in 32 bit XP you get 3.25GB like me)

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
You have a nice computer Kackattack, if it freezes even just on normal internet browsing then it is more likely your ram. Try switching memory like hicube, if that doesn't work then it might be your Hard Drive, unless you got a faulty motherboard but i doubt it.

P.S. I am assuming that your temps are decent and nothing is overclocked.

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Alright, thanks again night-stalker. Another stupid question, what does RMA stand for ?

I'm gonna try that but before I put all ram in one board, does it have to be the same brand, model, size (in gb), does both have to be dual channeled ram, (pc6400, pc 8500), and speed( 800mhz, 1066mhz)?

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
your ram shoul be all identical. RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization, basically you send it in to the company and they fix it for you or just give you a new pair.

There are only two possible issues (imo):

1. The CoolerMaster PSU because it is not a very good brand name PSU like PP&C/Corsair.

2. You have DDR2 1066 RAM, which are known to have compatibility issues. esp. with P35 based boards.

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
thanks for the reply, shadow. I think my main issue might be the memory modules. So I'm trying to get that changed. I'll update you guys if new memory helps.

hicube

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

any suggestion on which brand of PSU I should go for next time?

mental

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
for some reason it wont let me edit so here is the whole post...

Hello all, I have an almost identical problem to hicube. My system is:

mobo: Asus p5k pro
cpu: Intel 8200
cooler: Coolermaster hyper tx2
ram: Kingston hyperx 1066 Mhz, 2Gb
gpu: Asus 9600gt
HD: 3 x WD 500 gb aaks, 2 x 250gb jb
DVD: LG sata dvd r + Lg sat dvd
psu: OCZ game xtreme 600w

So, Ive run memtest and prime for several hours. Ram & cpu are not the problem. The psu is new (I originally bought the ocz stealth xtreme 600w but it was defective and I got the game xtreme), so its probably good. The gpu works at around 47c at windows so thats fine I think. The mobo works at 50c which is a little bit high, but I searched at the asus forum and others said the same mobo runs that high. The cpu also runs a bit high, 52-55c but Im guessing thats not the problem.

So really the only thing I thought maybe it was nvidia drivers problem, I re-installed those and installed the last directx (oh Im running xp proffesional, so directx 9c), but still having the same problem.

Like 2 min after running almost any game I get a display freeze(green dots all over the screen if that helps) along with sound repeat. This happens on mark3d, assasin's creed, heroes of might and magic, bioshock, wow but strangely enought not in warcraft III when I play dota. It even freezes when I play pkr (a poker client that is 3d).

So really Im in no man's land, if anyone has any ideas I missed be my guest....