Sign in with
Your question

Black startup screen

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 7, 2012 9:26:23 PM

This is happening with my parent's vista PC. Earlier my mom said she was getting some error that mcafee wasn't working and after I checked the firewall status is unknown and spyware and antivirus was offline.

After I tried to return the firewall to recommended setting it just beeped (with no errors). I tried restarting the service directly but kept getting an error saying that the "respective files are not found", after that I tried system restore which gave an error (0x80042F3) so I tried to do a system file checker (SFC) scan, some errors were found and fixed and some not fixed. After restarting instead of the user signin I got a black screen after windows loaded with a cursor.

So far I've tried everything I could think of;

I did the standard disk and ram diagnostic scan (no errors), chkdsk (no errors). I tried booting into safe mode which froze while loading the system files. I tried to do another system restore form the recovery cd with an (0x80070002) error.

The system recovery cd that came with my hp PC seems to only give the options to use SR or factory reset but doesn't give the option to do a system repair (registry and system files).

Any recommendations?

The computer is hp pavilion a6500f
windows vista home premium 64bit

More about : black startup screen

November 8, 2012 5:55:39 AM

horrorific said:
This is happening with my parent's vista PC. Earlier my mom said she was getting some error that mcafee wasn't working and after I checked the firewall status is unknown and spyware and antivirus was offline.

After I tried to return the firewall to recommended setting it just beeped (with no errors). I tried restarting the service directly but kept getting an error saying that the "respective files are not found", after that I tried system restore which gave an error (0x80042F3) so I tried to do a system file checker (SFC) scan, some errors were found and fixed and some not fixed. After restarting instead of the user signin I got a black screen after windows loaded with a cursor.

So far I've tried everything I could think of;

I did the standard disk and ram diagnostic scan (no errors), chkdsk (no errors). I tried booting into safe mode which froze while loading the system files. I tried to do another system restore form the recovery cd with an (0x80070002) error.

The system recovery cd that came with my hp PC seems to only give the options to use SR or factory reset but doesn't give the option to do a system repair (registry and system files).

Any recommendations?

The computer is hp pavilion a6500f
windows vista home premium 64bit

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-a...
m
l
!