No sound after clean xp install. (realtek AC97)

Hey guys,

I just did a clean install of xp pro on a new HD. I installed the drivers for the mobo, and did all the updates for xp, and I am on sp3. Everything is working fine, except I have no sound.

The computer thinks it's making sounds, the device manager shows all devices working properly, Realtek AC97 shows everything running correctly, but I get nothing.

I have tried speakers and headset on front and back panels, and I can hear dead air. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek drivers several times. Anyone have any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about sound clean install realtek ac97
  1. What video card do you have? If it is something like a 3850 or 3870, it may have taken over your default sound. Check in Control Panel and make sure your onboard sound is the default device.
  2. i have had a similar problem before.try reinstalling the audio drivers . and if you use WMP 9 then reinstall that too from the installation disk. Realtek AC97 audio drivers sometimes get corrupt after you install the graphic card drivers.
  3. Yep, the audio is enabled in bios. Thanks!

My video card is a evga 7900gt. I have had this video card and mobo configured together before with no problems with sound though.

I have reinstalled the audio drivers, and my WMP has been reinstalled and updated already. Should I roll back? I wasn't aware that WMP could control on board audio?

Thanks for the responses!
  4. it still wont work
    please help im getting bored without sound
  5. So, you downloaded the Realtek HD drivers from their website...

Go to Control-Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices, and make sure the properly playback device is set.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Drivers Realtek Windows XP Components