939 CPU

Hi!
I still have a 939 socket mainboard and I want to buy a new CPU. What is the best possible one I can get and is it worth buying or should I buy a AM2 mainboard?
16 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. eBay for a used X2 or Opteron. I'm still running an overclocked Opteron 165 :(
  2. what processor do you currently have on your 939 mobo? and what are you using your computer for?...
  3. If its worth thats up to you, You would have more upgrade options if you whent to AM2. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1947&name=AMD-Socket-939-Athlon-64-FX-Processor http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs but make sure your board can use that 939 cpu hope it helps
  4. ahslan said:
    what processor do you currently have on your 939 mobo? and what are you using your computer for?...

Sorry, I forgot to mention. At the moment I have a Athlon 64 +3200. Usually I played all kind of games but I'd be happy if the processor could run World of Warcraft smoothly.
    Btw my mainboard is Elitegroup K8HT2000.
  5. Newegg had the san diego 3700 with 1 meg cache for $29.99 open box or about $45 new. The dual cores are a little expensive now; I wouldn't invest in one. Am2 with ddr2 is cheaper.
  6. i went from +3200 to second hand 4800 last year and was very happy with it, made a big difference. Make sure you get one cheap though, as the useful life span will probably be only a year or so before you'll want mething more speedy
  7. I don't read anything about hardware 2 years and now the only place I can get a 939 processor seems to be ebay.. amazing :pt1cable:
  8. well I would suggest saving up money for an AM2...you (and I :cry: ) missed out on the period when there were cheap deals for 939 X2s...now most of them are on ebay (which are usually overpriced)....If you can sell your setup and make a little bit of money, you can easily put together a faster and cheaper AM2 setup (the cpu's cost less, ddr2 costs less...)
  9. Yep, about a year ago you could get FX-60's dirt cheap (from TigerDirect, I believe) but now they are long gone.
  10. The good ole days
  11. Hey if u want a Socket 939 athlon heres a link, its in UK though...

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(37497)AMD-CPU-Athlon-64-3800-64-bit-512Kb-L2-Cache.aspx
  12. What did you go with if you dont mind
  13. diantha, WoW isn't an extremely graphically intensive game...I have some friends that play it and I would say the game mostly depends on your graphics card...my friend was playing it pretty smoothly and he was running a single core athlon with an ati x1300xt...so ya...i suggest taking a peek at some video card options. I believe your mobo has a pci-express x16 slot so that helps A TON. There are a lot of "economical" choices to choose from..more ram in your system would also help your gameplay as well (unfortunately DDR ram isnt as cheap as DDR2)...
  14. diantha said:
    Hi!
    I still have a 939 socket mainboard and I want to buy a new CPU. What is the best possible one I can get and is it worth buying or should I buy a AM2 mainboard?

I would recommend getting out of S939. I currently have a S939 Opteron. If I was getting into a new system, I would go with an Intel rig and probably a Q6600 or better quad.
  15. You should invest in a video card now, that can transition to a new system, when you are ready.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket