Sign in with
Your question

Help with mobo selection.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2008 8:44:00 PM

I'm looking to base a new build around an Intel Q9450 CPU and through research kept coming back to the eVGA nForce 780i SLI motherboard. Basically, I'm just looking for opinions on this choice of mobo and whether there are any other's out there that I haven't considered yet. I'm not necessarily planning to overclock right away, but would still like to have that option open in the future. In additon, I would prefer a mobo that supported either SLI or Crossfire. I'm not particularly biased towards either nVidia or ATI, so either of the two are acceptable at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated.

More about : mobo selection

July 20, 2008 8:57:50 PM

I would get an x38 or x48 mobo and crossfire two 4850 or 4870. Plus the intel chipsets are not such a pain in the neck to overclock compared to nvidia.
July 20, 2008 9:12:04 PM

shadowthor said:
I would get an x38 or x48 mobo and crossfire two 4850 or 4870. Plus the intel chipsets are not such a pain in the neck to overclock compared to nvidia.

+1 agreed.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2008 9:15:35 PM

^^ What he said. Check out the P5E Deluxe or the GA-X48-DS4. And get a quality PSU that can handle those two cards, like the 750TX or the PC Power & Cooling 750W.
July 26, 2008 11:35:55 PM

Yeah. I'm comparing the ASUS x38 and the x48 and there are very few differences between them. The one difference between them seems to be the overclockability of the x48 compared to the x38. Am I correct in this or am I missing something? Plus, aside from merely finding the right motherboard to fit my processor and any potential Crossfire/SLI compatibility, other factors that may be harder to determine such as the overall 'layout' of the board is also important. Is there actually enough room to fit additional cooling solutions if need be if I have 2 GPU's on the board, as an example? Doing the research into these boards I'm realizing that many people who get a highly expandable board run into issues not in what they can plug in, but rather what they have to sacrifice in one slot to get something in another slot (such as wanting to install a heat sink for their overheated Northbridge, only to find it won't fit because their second video card is in the way). I realize no board is perfect and there is always a trade-off, I'm just trying to get a sense from others out there what their opinions would be for a good overall board taking into account both device compatibility and the 'ergonomics' of it. Thanks for the help.
!