different mouse same problem

Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up toasting
it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed the new
driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be doing the
same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing temporarily. I
uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp professional has
installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
appreciated... thanks Rainy

(the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might be
the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software. which I
have not installed.. not until I find out it is
the correct driver.. :) thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about different mouse problem

    Rainy

    Not quite sure how you toasted a mouse by not uninstalling a driver, but
    whatever.. it may not be your mouse that is causing problems.. it could be
    bad video drivers or another program running in the background..

    You might want to share computer specs too.. lack of memory, an over full
    hard drive can also cause the 'jitters'..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up
    > toasting it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed
    > the new driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be
    > doing the same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing
    > temporarily. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp
    > professional has
    > installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
    > appreciated... thanks Rainy
    >
    > (the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
    > http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might
    > be the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software.
    > which I have not installed.. not until I find out it is
    > the correct driver.. :) thanks!

    It is extremely unlikely that the USB to Parallel cable driver has anything
    to do with your mouse. This would most likely be drivers for a cable that
    has a USB connection at one end and a parallel connection at the other -
    used mainly for plugging a printer with only a parallel port into the USB
    port of your computer.

    I'm guessing that the erratic movement has to do with something running in
    the background that is using all your system resources temporarily. See
    this article to do some troubleshooting along these lines:

    How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    Also check for parasites. See this site for more information and links to
    free utilities:

    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    PattyL

    Also, turn the mouse over and remove the ball and look to see if the rollers
    are covered with lint or threads. That's always great for causing erratic
    movement.
    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up
    > toasting it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed
    > the new driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be
    > doing the same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing
    > temporarily. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp
    > professional has
    > installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
    > appreciated... thanks Rainy
    >
    > (the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
    > http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might
    > be the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software.
    > which I have not installed.. not until I find out it is
    > the correct driver.. :) thanks!

    Hi Mike, thanks for the response.. I got that information about the mouse
    from a tech site... I didn't make it up! lol

    I have a home built computer. Since it's easier for me to copy the summary
    from Aida32.. here is probably more information than you need... You may
    have hit on something though, I have always had a yellow X on my Display 3D
    Accelerator... when I see the summary from Aida32.. thanks Rainy
    here is the website for the accelerator..

    Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
    Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
    System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

    Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)

    Multimedia
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

    Storage
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 5T040H4 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
    Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
    DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)

    Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (7104 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 39072 MB (17447 MB free)

    Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

    > Rainy
    >
    > Not quite sure how you toasted a mouse by not uninstalling a driver, but
    > whatever.. it may not be your mouse that is causing problems.. it could be
    > bad video drivers or another program running in the background..
    >
    > You might want to share computer specs too.. lack of memory, an over full
    > hard drive can also cause the 'jitters'..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up
    >> toasting it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed
    >> the new driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be
    >> doing the same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing
    >> temporarily. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp
    >> professional has
    >> installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
    >> appreciated... thanks Rainy
    >>
    >> (the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
    >> http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might
    >> be the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software. which
    >> I have not installed.. not until I find out it is
    >> the correct driver.. :) thanks!

    Rainy

    General specs are fine, but look into the video driver problem.. that is
    what will be causing your mouse to jump around..

    What you need to do is establish who manufactures the video card.. the info
    supplied makes reference to the chipset, which is used by more than a few
    manufacturers.. look at the box that originally contained the card..

    Re. your mouse, I have swapped mice around without changing any drivers, and
    they always work regardless (other than serial mice)..

    Good luck

    --

> [...]
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up
    >>> toasting it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed
    >>> the new driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be
    >>> doing the same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing
    >>> temporarily. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp
    >>> professional has
    >>> installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
    >>> appreciated... thanks Rainy
    >>>
    >>> (the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
    >>> http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might
    >>> be the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software.
    >>> which
    >>> I have not installed.. not until I find out it is

    Hi Mike, I don't have the box... would the video
    card be part of the motherboard.. although I specified that I wanted a stand
    alone video card.. when I had the pc built... so it should not be ... I have
    a drawer in my desk that has all the mfg manuals for everything except the
    video card... :( and to answer the other person who responded.. I have
    adaware and spybot and also spyware blaster and use the first two on a
    regular basis.. and 9 times out of 10 I come out clean. I have tried to use
    the windows xp troubleshooter and came up empted handed... I think the
    problem is with the video card.. just wish I knew who the mfg was... do you
    have any suggestions? Rainy ps. I just downloaded Belarc Advisor to see if
    it would be more specific .. and I can't even find where the video card
    would be...just this minute went through my cd's and found one entitled
    Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200... but that could be a wrong driver I downloaded and
    installed! :( I would really love to fix this problem... If I could be sure
    that this driver is the right one.. there has to be a way to find out which
    video card I have... please help me to do this.. thanks

> [...]
    >> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    >> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
    >>
    >> Partitions
    >> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (7104 MB free)
    >> D: (NTFS) 39072 MB (17447 MB free)
    >>
    >> Input
    >> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    >> Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    >>

    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Rainy
    >>>
    >>> Not quite sure how you toasted a mouse by not uninstalling a driver, but
    >>> whatever.. it may not be your mouse that is causing problems.. it could
    >>> be
    >>> bad video drivers or another program running in the background..
    >>>
    >>> You might want to share computer specs too.. lack of memory, an over
    >>> full
    >>> hard drive can also cause the 'jitters'..

    after I sent in my post I knew it was the wrong one... felt stupid too.. so
    thanks for the response... yes I believe the erratic movement has to do with
    a video card .. wish I knew the mfg name... and could find the driver..
    thanks for the response.. Rainy
    "PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
    > It is extremely unlikely that the USB to Parallel cable driver has
    > anything to do with your mouse. This would most likely be drivers for a
    > cable that has a USB connection at one end and a parallel connection at
    > the other - used mainly for plugging a printer with only a parallel port
    > into the USB port of your computer.
    >
    > I'm guessing that the erratic movement has to do with something running in
    > the background that is using all your system resources temporarily. See
    > this article to do some troubleshooting along these lines:
    >
    > How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
    > XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
    >
    > Also check for parasites. See this site for more information and links to
    > free utilities:
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >
    > PattyL
    >
    > Also, turn the mouse over and remove the ball and look to see if the
    > rollers are covered with lint or threads. That's always great for causing
    > erratic movement.
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Previously, I was using a microsoft intellimouse and ended up
    >> toasting it because I forgotten to uninstall a driver before I installed
    >> the new driver. So now I have a generic ball mouse and it seems to be
    >> doing the same thing, which is erratic movement, and freezing
    >> temporarily. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and windows xp
    >> professional has
    >> installed the ps2 driver.. Could the problem be the ps2 port? Any help
    >> appreciated... thanks Rainy
    >>
    >> (the name on the top of the mouse is PC Concepts) I went to the website
    >> http://www.pcconcepts.com/html/mic_frm.html and found what I think might
    >> be the driver.. it is called USB TO PARALLEL CABLE driver software. which
    >> I have not installed.. not until I find out it is
    >> the correct driver.. :) thanks!

    do you know what this is? Nvcpl.dll I just noticed it in startup.. and my
    mouse appears to be working great.. I might have taken it out of startup
    awhile back... and I think this is a dll that belongs to my video card.. :)
    Of course I could be way off..but since I think my video card is Nvidia Ge
    Force maybe this is part of it.. and when I took it out of startup.. it
    messed up my mouse.. someone please tell me if I'm wrong? or right? Rainy
    You know I'm one of those dangerous people who have a little bit of
    knowledge.. :)) lol
> [...]
    >> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    >> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
    >>
    >> Partitions
    >> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (7104 MB free)
    >> D: (NTFS) 39072 MB (17447 MB free)
    >>
    >> Input
    >> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    >> Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    >>

    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Rainy
    >>>
    >>> Not quite sure how you toasted a mouse by not uninstalling a driver, but
    >>> whatever.. it may not be your mouse that is causing problems.. it could
    >>> be
    >>> bad video drivers or another program running in the background..
    >>>
    >>> You might want to share computer specs too.. lack of memory, an over
    >>> full
    >>> hard drive can also cause the 'jitters'..

    Nvcpl is the control panel for the nvidea card
    Sounds like your vid drivers are not installed correctly
    Visit Nvidea site Download drivers for FX5200
    See section re how to install, follow instructions and reinstall as per

    > do you know what this is? Nvcpl.dll I just noticed it in startup.. and my
    > mouse appears to be working great.. I might have taken it out of startup
    > awhile back... and I think this is a dll that belongs to my video card..
    :)
> [...]
    > >> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    > >> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    > >>
    > >> Display
    > >> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
    > >> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    > >> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
    > >>
    > >> Multimedia
    > >> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
    > >>
    > >> Storage
    > >> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    > >> Disk Drive Maxtor 5T040H4 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    > >> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
    > >> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
    > >> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    > >> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
    > >>
    > >> Partitions
    > >> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (7104 MB free)
    > >> D: (NTFS) 39072 MB (17447 MB free)
    > >>
    > >> Input
    > >> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

    it's the driver I had on the cd.. had to be the right driver... so I
    reinstalled it... the mouse was working ok before I did that.. I think..
    that the control panel was not loading with windows and when I let it load
    the mouse worked ok.. not sure why I needed to reinstall the driver? Just
    trying to learn... thanks for the response... Rainy
    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Nvcpl is the control panel for the nvidea card
    > Sounds like your vid drivers are not installed correctly
    > Visit Nvidea site Download drivers for FX5200
    > See section re how to install, follow instructions and reinstall as per
    >

    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> do you know what this is? Nvcpl.dll I just noticed it in startup.. and
    >> my
    >> mouse appears to be working great.. I might have taken it out of startup
    >> awhile back... and I think this is a dll that belongs to my video card..
    > :)
    >> Of course I could be way off..but since I think my video card is Nvidia
    >> Ge
    >> Force maybe this is part of it.. and when I took it out of startup.. it
    >> messed up my mouse.. someone please tell me if I'm wrong? or right?
    > Rainy
    >> You know I'm one of those dangerous people who have a little bit of
    >> knowledge.. :)) lol
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Rainy
    >> >
    >> > General specs are fine, but look into the video driver problem.. that
    >> > is
    >> > what will be causing your mouse to jump around..
    >> >
    >> > What you need to do is establish who manufactures the video card.. the
    >> > info supplied makes reference to the chipset, which is used by more
    >> > than
    >> > few manufacturers.. look at the box that originally contained the
    >> > card..
    >> >
    >> > Re. your mouse, I have swapped mice around without changing any
    >> > drivers,
    >> > and they always work regardless (other than serial mice)..
    >> >
    >> > Good luck
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Mike Hall
    >> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> >

    >> > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > mouse

    > Display

    > but
    > could

    > be
    > help

    > website

    well I just checked my device manager, and I still have the yellow x... so
    if anyone has any ideas... please don't hesitate, I have had this yellow x
    on my 3d accelerator for months now and would really love to solve the
    problem.. thanks Rainy
    > it's the driver I had on the cd.. had to be the right driver... so I
    > reinstalled it... the mouse was working ok before I did that.. I think..
    > that the control panel was not loading with windows and when I let it load
    > the mouse worked ok.. not sure why I needed to reinstall the driver? Just
    > trying to learn... thanks for the response... Rainy
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> Nvcpl is the control panel for the nvidea card
    >> Sounds like your vid drivers are not installed correctly
    >> Visit Nvidea site Download drivers for FX5200
    >> See section re how to install, follow instructions and reinstall as per
    >>

    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> do you know what this is? Nvcpl.dll I just noticed it in startup.. and
    >>> my
    >>> mouse appears to be working great.. I might have taken it out of startup
    >>> awhile back... and I think this is a dll that belongs to my video card..
    >> :)
    >>> Of course I could be way off..but since I think my video card is Nvidia
    >>> Ge
    >>> Force maybe this is part of it.. and when I took it out of startup.. it
    >>> messed up my mouse.. someone please tell me if I'm wrong? or right?
    >> Rainy
    >>> You know I'm one of those dangerous people who have a little bit of
    >>> knowledge.. :)) lol
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >> mouse

    >> Display

    >> but
    >> could

    >> be
    >> help

    >> website

    The driver on the cd is not the current driver.

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > it's the driver I had on the cd.. had to be the right driver... so I
    > reinstalled it... the mouse was working ok before I did that.. I think..
    > that the control panel was not loading with windows and when I let it load
    > the mouse worked ok.. not sure why I needed to reinstall the driver? Just
    > trying to learn... thanks for the response... Rainy
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> Nvcpl is the control panel for the nvidea card
    >> Sounds like your vid drivers are not installed correctly
    >> Visit Nvidea site Download drivers for FX5200
    >> See section re how to install, follow instructions and reinstall as per
    >>

    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> do you know what this is? Nvcpl.dll I just noticed it in startup.. and
    >>> my
    >>> mouse appears to be working great.. I might have taken it out of startup
    >>> awhile back... and I think this is a dll that belongs to my video card..
    >> :)
    >>> Of course I could be way off..but since I think my video card is Nvidia
    >>> Ge
    >>> Force maybe this is part of it.. and when I took it out of startup.. it
    >>> messed up my mouse.. someone please tell me if I'm wrong? or right?
    >> Rainy
    >>> You know I'm one of those dangerous people who have a little bit of
    >>> knowledge.. :)) lol
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >> mouse

    >> Display

    >> but
    >> could

    >> be
    >> help

    >> website

    Sorry about sending this directly to you... it was an accident..so I am
    copying and pasting my text...

    Is this the reason I have the yellow X? if not I'm going to leave well
    enough alone.. everything seems to be working ok now.. plus on the nvidia
    site they said I had to uninstall the driver I have now.. before I can
    install the new one.. which is what I thought we had to do before installing
    a new driver.. at least for this driver you do. Actaully the mouse is
    working better than it has for months and months... so thanks to all that
    have helped... Rainy

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > The driver on the cd is not the current driver.

    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> it's the driver I had on the cd.. had to be the right driver... so I
    >> reinstalled it... the mouse was working ok before I did that.. I think..
    >> that the control panel was not loading with windows and when I let it
    >> load the mouse worked ok.. not sure why I needed to reinstall the driver?
    >> Just trying to learn... thanks for the response... Rainy
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> Nvcpl is the control panel for the nvidea card
    >>> Sounds like your vid drivers are not installed correctly
    >>> Visit Nvidea site Download drivers for FX5200
    >>> See section re how to install, follow instructions and reinstall as per
    >>>

    >>> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> :)
    >>> Rainy

    >>> mouse

    >>> Display

    >>> but
    >>> could

    >>> be
    >>> help

    >>> website

    No problem, check your email.

    > Sorry about sending this directly to you... it was an accident..so I am
    > copying and pasting my text...
    >
    > Is this the reason I have the yellow X? if not I'm going to leave well
    > enough alone.. everything seems to be working ok now.. plus on the nvidia
    > site they said I had to uninstall the driver I have now.. before I can
    > install the new one.. which is what I thought we had to do before
    > installing a new driver.. at least for this driver you do. Actaully the
    > mouse is working better than it has for months and months... so thanks to
    > all that have helped... Rainy
    >
    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> The driver on the cd is not the current driver.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> it's the driver I had on the cd.. had to be the right driver... so I
    >>> reinstalled it... the mouse was working ok before I did that.. I think..
    >>> that the control panel was not loading with windows and when I let it
    >>> load the mouse worked ok.. not sure why I needed to reinstall the
    >>> driver? Just trying to learn... thanks for the response... Rainy
    >>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

PlayStation Mice Microsoft Windows XP