Quiet but Powerful first build?

Hi All,

I'm needing to build my first PC soon, only problem is it needs to be quiet but not compromise on performance... and not use watercooling.

So far I've chosen:

Antec P182 + Replace the TriCool fans with 3x 120mm Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM @ 7.5v/~600RPM

Intel Q6600 G0 Retail + Replace Stock cooling with Noctua NH-U12P CPU Heatpipe Heatsink with NF-P12

Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 + Replace stock cooling with Arctic Cooling Accelero AC-S1 rev 2 + (Don't know which 92mm/120mm fan??)

Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP
2x Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203D 20X DVD±RW

~£700

If anyone could suggest any changes that would possibly make it quieter/better that would be great, I looked at the ThermalRight Ultra eXtreme 120 but quite a lot of people say it needs to be lapped so I was avoiding it (plus the Noctua is supposed to be just as quiet), and I didn't want to pay an extra £40 to go from the GT to GTS.

Hopefully I'll clock the Quad to 2.8-3.2GHz without too much issue/extra noise, and I'm not missing anything? :P

Thanks in advance for any advice!
3 answers Last reply
More about quiet powerful build
  1. My thoughts :
    1. Skip the replacement fans for now. See how the TriCool fans perform first. They should be quite good and it's a quiet case.

2. Check out the XIGMATEK HDT-1283
    (cools like the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme but costs about half that http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=700899 ).
    I don't know if it's quiter but noctua is expensive as hell here in backwater EURo land.

3. Get a passive cooled 9600GT card (ECS has a model with the Arctic Cooling Accelero) or get an 8800GTS (better cooling, might not need an aftermarket cooler for it). Otherwise you want a good quiet 120mm fan so check out the Scythe S-Flex SFF21E (E = 1200rpm) or SFF21F (F = 1600rpm, gets loud so you need a fan regulator).

4. WD6400AAKS are new and faster drives and cost about £8 more.

5. If you want a better board pick up the P5K Premium (8phase power regulation) but this one will take your Q6600 to 3.6 as well under a decent cooler like the XIGMATEK.
  2. You don't need to lap nothing to o/c the q6600 to 3.2ghz. Any stock coola can do 3ghz. The best machine-lapped air cooler would be Zalman, but their fan noise is a tad high.

If you're gonna lap a hsf, you should lap the cpu ihs (integrated heatspreader) to achieve the best result. If you're not lapping the cpu, then don't lap the hsf.

Agreed with the above. However, I do believe the P5K-E can do 3.6ghz & more. It depends on your skills & luck of the draw (when getting a cpu).
  3. ^The reason I recommended the Premium is the 8phase power regulation.
    The P5K-E will work just as well but it might need higher Vcore voltages to get there since it will likely have a higher Vdrop and Vdroop.

The lapping part is good advice. The Zalman however I would avoid as it's much louder and more expensive than the XIGMATEK. The 3.0-3.2GHz on a Q6600 is a cakewalk with a good cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems