48xx is the 1st right move in years & AMD dropped to the $5s!

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Dang! You'd think that the market would take note of the fact that the new 48xx cards are the first right product launch that AMD has been able to pull off in almost two years and they've just dropped the stock to $5.83! Are we all headed to Intel monopoly land soon? Sure looks like it!

sailer

Splendid
The entire market has been taking hits the past week, for that matter, the past few months. Its not so much that AMD is in the 5s, but how much has it dropped compared to other stocks. You have to do a complete analysis of the market to make real evaluations of AMD and its price.

Actually, since both AMD and Intel split their stock in mid-2000, AMD stock has consistently out performed Intel - until last Fall anyway :cry:

It's just part of AMD's roller coaster boom-bust-boom-bust-boom cycles ...

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Holy crap! Nvidia's plummeting like a rock and AMD just hit $5.01! What the heck is going on in tech stocks lately? Either this is the biggest buy opportunity since 1929 or we're all going to be computing with chisels and stone tablets soon! :)

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

For a start, there appears to be a recession on the way, and most people can survive quite happily with the computer they currently own for another few years before they have to upgrade. Performance in typical day-to-day tasks has reached the level where for the majority of people a new and faster PC has become a luxury purchase; luxuries tend not to do too well in a recession.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Let us all sit in silent prayer to Bush and big oil for bring us to this recession, lets thank the bankers that give too much credit so folks can live outside their means, lets thank needless wars supported by fear mongering and lies, and finally lets thank the muslim people for their never ending struggle for survival, and fueling more war and hatred. Recession will be good maybe the globe will finally realize how the greed of a few can screw the many.

Word, Playa.

I will say this spud, I thank our Congress every day for approving useless spending causing the US to go into further debt every day. Especially since its a Democratic Congress which makes me be amazed we even got the tax break.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Most spending our government does is useless regardless of who's in charge. And don't forget that whole $600 check that some of us weren't able to get. Yeah thats what I call a tax break all right. But wait, you do realize that the more gas costs, the more the federal government gets from the gasoline tax's right? Gotta remember also that we have a president that basically bullies congress to get what he wants. I'm still waiting for that surprise declaration of a state of emergency so he can take emergency powers and stay in office if a Dem wins the elections.

Let's thank the "Wal-Mart-ization" and everybody screaming to buy a ton of cheap crap from China and the resulting large current account deficit for our recession. Also, let's thank patent trolls and the let's-approve-everything USPTO for inhibiting technological progress and business starts and growth due to tons of crappy idea/software/business method patents. Bravo, about the only thing except agriculture that we export in large quantities is technology and you guys inhibit that. Very smart move there...

lets thank the bankers that give too much credit so folks can live outside their means,

Let's also thank the fools who got a $500k ARM on a $30k/year salary by _knowingly_ lying about their income. Oh, and let's not forget the people who run up five figures' worth of credit card debt and then default on loans and other obligations. What do you mean I have to pay it all off someday?!?! I thought the money was free!! I'm getting my lawyer and I'm gonna SUE!!!!!

lets thank needless wars supported by fear mongering and lies,

Speak that gospel, brother!! 9/11 was an inside job and Bush STOLE the election in 2000! Al Gore 4 Life!!! Aaaaaamen!

and finally lets thank the muslim people for their never ending struggle for survival, and fueling more war and hatred.

and finally let's thank the radical Middle Eastern religious clerics and warlords for their never-ending struggle for power, and fueling more war, terrorist attacks, and hatred.

There, fixed it for you.

Recession will be good maybe the globe will finally realize how the greed of a few can screw the many.

I want some of what you're smoking- recessions are bad, not good. It was the actions of many, not a few, that caused a recession. The only few that can really hose a country all by themselves are in the government and make crap laws and regulations *cough* patent law *cough* DMCA *cough* pork-barrel projects *cough* corruption *cough* pandering to get votes *cough*- excuse me, I seem to be allergic to political bullsh*t.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Another staged attack blamed on Iran this time will easily allow him to declare a state of emergency, frankly this man and his friends have shown they will do anything, even topple the world trade centers to ensure they all have the money needed to corner the alternate fuel markets when the time comes as well.

Word, Playa.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Let's thank the "Wal-Mart-ization" and everybody screaming to buy a ton of cheap crap from China and the resulting large current account deficit for our recession. Also, let's thank patent trolls and the let's-approve-everything USPTO for inhibiting technological progress and business starts and growth due to tons of crappy idea/software/business method patents. Bravo, about the only thing except agriculture that we export in large quantities is technology and you guys inhibit that. Very smart move there...

Hey now he US trade deficit is different than the US treasury deficit, both are none reversable at this point with interest to the world banks and such. Frankly the US dug itself into this and will never get out, at least without walking away from the world banks and telling them to stuff the debt.

Let's also thank the fools who got a $500k ARM on a $30k/year salary by _knowingly_ lying about their income. Oh, and let's not forget the people who run up five figures' worth of credit card debt and then default on loans and other obligations. What do you mean I have to pay it all off someday?!?! I thought the money was free!! I'm getting my lawyer and I'm gonna SUE!!!!!

The American dream lol you are intitled to everything you want because you are American and be damned if you can't pay it because its yours now. No worries my region is doing the same thing, oil busts and nearly 88% of my provinces wealth dissapears as quickly as it was created.

Speak that gospel, brother!! 9/11 was an inside job and Bush STOLE the election in 2000! Al Gore 4 Life!!! Aaaaaamen!

Word, Playa.

and finally let's thank the radical Middle Eastern religious clerics and warlords for their never-ending struggle for power, and fueling more war, terrorist attacks, and hatred.

There, fixed it for you.

Lets thank the US government for giveing them the training to effectively fight the Russians as they tried to suppress those people, and now lets thank the same people for pissing them all off and then decideing oil and pipelines which the Russians were interested in as well are now a national security issue and thus the need for democracy for people that frankly arent ready for it.

I want some of what you're smoking- recessions are bad, not good. It was the actions of many, not a few, that caused a recession. The only few that can really hose a country all by themselves are in the government and make crap laws and regulations *cough* patent law *cough* DMCA *cough* pork-barrel projects *cough* corruption *cough* pandering to get votes *cough*- excuse me, I seem to be allergic to political bullsh*t.

So am I but the American people let these idiots in, and in turn showed that they are just as stupid and short sighted. But we all like to have things and we all love to be American and we are #1 so who cares lets whine somemore and not try and hang corrupt politicians or warmongering presidents. SUPPORT THE TROOPS ignore the reasons they are there.

Word, Playa.

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
$4.75??? Four dollars and seventy-five cents? Market cap at well under $3 billion. I can't believe this! What's happening to AMD?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25624745

Intel creates AMD's entire market cap every three weeks... If Ruiz and team can't figure out a way to strengthen AMD, after so much time trying, they should step aside and make way for a team that can. More is at stake here than merely the survival of AMD as a company; chip industry competition depends on it.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
lol cant beat them join them? I always used Intel since my 386, I never really got into AMD not a fanboy or anything just never got into AMD but I'm glad I stuck with Intel. I never had one problem with a Intel chip and I been using Intel for 17yrs now.

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I've had both AMD and Intel CPUs and have never had a problem with either. I just buy whatever is the best performance to dollar value at the time for my budget. Haven't gone wrong yet. That's why I would simply not consider a Phenom right now. Unless the extremely unlikely scenario occurs where AMD does what ATI did to Nvidia with the 48xx and comes out with a product that blows the doors off the competition for way less money and forces the big guy to chop his prices to the bone too. Then THAT would be real competition again. Not what's happening now, which is kind of like the old joke about the monkey jumping on the back of the female elephant... can't relate that here as I'll get hell from the Mods from having a filthy mouth! :)