Last response: in Components
June 27, 2008 7:31:03 PM

I'm going to be making a new computer using the following parts:

MSI P35 Neo2-FR
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB
EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT Superclocked
Western Digital Raptor X SATA

I plan on doing a little bit of overclocking and was wondering which power supply would be best for this setup.

Thanks

More about : psu buy setup

June 27, 2008 7:45:24 PM

It depends on when you buy it, PSU pricing appears to be pretty volatile right now.

Single Rail @ 400W minimum with a known good name brand PSU.

PC Power and Cooling
Corsair HX, VX or TX series
Antec Earthwatts or NEO series

There are others.

Post your choice just before you buy and get feedback.
Related resources
June 28, 2008 6:43:26 AM

Naz-T said:
I'm pretty sure this is what I'm using on my old computer right now

OCZ Modstream 450W
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content...

Would this be substantial enough for overclocking?
Your pretty sure?
Is the review up to your standards? If so, then it is substantial enough.
June 28, 2008 10:30:54 PM

Something to consider is how long you have been using the PSU. As the capacitors age the PSU is not able to deliver as much current/wattage.

It's also a tier four PSU.

You shouldn't have any problems, but if the machine is flaky under load I would change the PSU.
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2008 4:53:03 AM

OCZ has some great PSUs, good PSUs and some low end PSUs. They're one of the manufacturers that you have to know which PSU and then check reviews. Modstream is low end, StealthStream is mid range, GameStream, EliteStream and Evostream get good reviews. The GameXStream you listed is a good PSU especially for the CAN$ price. In short terms i'd agree with Zorg and run what you have unless/until you have stability problems and then change the PSU.
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2008 6:38:18 AM

Zorg said:

Single Rail @ 400W minimum with a known good name brand PSU.

PC Power and Cooling
Corsair HX, VX or TX series
Antec Earthwatts or NEO series

I recommend Seasonic PSUs. They also manufacture the PSUs listed above.
July 1, 2008 6:04:28 PM

I will definitely give it a try, but it seems like I will just be making another trip to the computer store to pick up the bigger PSU. Not that it really matters since it's only a 5 minute drive :D 

Do you think it's even possible for a 450W ModStream to support those specs? It's low end as listed in the tiers and low watts. The other guy suggested I need a 720W PSU, I really doubt my old 450W will hold up, but nonetheless it's worth a try.

If anyone has any other opinions please feel free to add. If my 450W doesn't hold up, what is the minimum watt PSU I should buy?
!