Windows can't read DVD/CD, Nero can burn them

stranger_yuy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Windows detects DVD/CD disks, however it does not seem to read them. When I use Nero - it is able to burn disks without problem. I am running Windows XP. My disk drive is Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B. Can somebody suggest a possible problem?

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Often, when a device can write but not read it is caused by a defective drive.

If you can, I suggest you install the device in a different computer to determine if that is the case. Or, install a different burner, known to be good, and see if the problem persists, if it does then it would very likely be caused by a driver problem.

HTH.

stranger_yuy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Sorry for not being clear, but I am using a laptop. Also, I ave just tested a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu), and it loads fine. All the programs under there seem to function normally. Maybe it is an internal problem with the Windows operating system?

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
If it works under Linux (you can read and burn) then obviously the device is working properly.

There are some settings in the registry that if they get messed up, the CD drives behave strangely.

This link is for a different problem but, it might just correct the one you are having as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

stranger_yuy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have done everything suggested at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 to no avail. I also used a registry cleaner "CleanMyPC - Registry Cleaner". Nothing seemed to help.

Nero reports "all ok" after verification (after burning).

It seems more and more like an internal Windows problem.

It would be nice to know your opinion.

stranger_yuy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I tried the steps recommended here with no positive results. However I discovered that if I run Windows in safe mode I am able to read CDs/DVDs without problems. It means that the malfunction is a result of startup programs conflict. I tried to remove a few unimportant applications using "mscconfig" command though it is clear that some of the programs are important for Windows functionality. Does someone have an experience with startup programs?

ernest_11_07

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

reply>>>>

me too.i am experiencing this now.my burned disc cant read by DVD/CD ROM. whenever i insert a disc.DVDROM read this as blank disc.my OS is windows 7 home basic.Asus K40IJ..help :(