Update Control

mnewsome

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Working with Vista Ultimate. I have reasons for not allowing automatic updates at this moment. Changed the BITS service to manual/stopped. I did manually install MS Security Essentials and in doing so, I find over 60 updates to be installed on restart. I have the restart message panel set to 4 hours. Going back to updates in the control panel I do not see a way back to the "checked" updates to be installed. How do I make sure the downloaded updates do not install. Guidance sought

mnewsome

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Greetings:

Thanks for the reply. Clever thinking. Never thought of it that way but this IS a legitimate copy. One memory module failed and the machine is already operating slow. I have a project on this machine and cannot afford to put more brakes on the machine. I allowed only Microsoft security essentials to be installed. I can just let them install and go into add/remove but this is more grief than I need. Hope you can appreciate the other side of this circumstance

Turn BITS back to Auto and start it, then try the updates applet again. You should be able to click the links on the left hand side for critical and optional updates and clear the checks. Optionally you can right-click on an update and choose to hide it.