Sign in with
Your question

1.5TB reading as 128g after new OS installed

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2009 4:03:22 PM

Hi all

I have had a few problems with my 1.5tb HDD... my windows XP died on me and i had to back everything up from my 750g(OS was installed on this one) my 1.5TB has all my Anime and movies saved on it. since i reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64bit my 1.5 is only showing as a 128g partition. I have read alot of forums and threads on how this should be fixed, and here is what iv done.

1. updated all drivers and everything to the newest they can be.
2. done all updates on windows.
3. the drive says its active yet always asks me to format it.

Could anyone please help me with my problem?

Cheers Pyro89
a c 342 G Storage
August 24, 2009 4:37:04 PM

for some reason the installation process defaulted to using an older standard for large hard drives called "28-bit LBA Support" which can only handle drive sizes up to 128 GB. What is needed is the newer "48-bit LBA Support", which you certainly must have in the 1.5 TB drive unit and in the mobo SATA drive controller (I have to assume this is a SATA drive). So, two ways this could happen.

1. Windows XP as originally released did NOT have 48-bit LBA support - it was added with Service Pack 1. I'm not clear how you "reinstalled VISTA Ultimate 64bit", but VISTA has 48-bit LBA Support. I wonder if you used your old XP (not including SP's) installation from the 750 GB drive to put the OS on your 1.5 TB. Or, did you use an original XP Install disk to re-install XP in the 1.5 TB. By either route, you apparently ended up with the Primary Partition on the 1.5 TB limited to the older size and containing your OS, plus a large chunk of Unallocated space left for creation of more Extended Partitions on the 1.5 TB. From there, it seems, you upgraded from XP to VISTA, but that would not have automatically changed the size of the boot Partition.

2. Other possibility: You installed VISTA and, for some strange reason it defaulted to using the 128 GB size for the Primary Partition in which to install the OS, even though technically it can use much more. Without realizing it was doing this by default, you told it to proceed instead of changing the Partition size to use the whole drive. If that is the case and you still have all your old stuff, you could re-install VISTA from the beginning and tell it this time to use the whole drive as one Partition. Then you'd have to re-install etc. all your old data and apps from the old drive.

If you give us details of the exact sequence of restoring backups from what form and how you got to VISTA, we can advise how to proceed.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 24, 2009 8:07:50 PM

I think you screwed yourself on this one..

sounds like you repartitioned your backup drive when you reinstalled vista. = no backed up files.

It would help if you open the disk management admin tool and take a screenshot and post it here.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2009 9:22:58 PM

rand_79 said:
I think you screwed yourself on this one..

sounds like you repartitioned your backup drive when you reinstalled vista. = no backed up files.

It would help if you open the disk management admin tool and take a screenshot and post it here.

not screwed.... there are tools to reset the capacity of sata disks... afterwards they work like a charm.
But I lost the tool for the moment (looking for them myself)

it is the LBA problem forcing the disk in a bad state , has nothing to do with os and latest drivers ...

Use the tool and all works again
m
l
August 25, 2009 1:03:12 AM

Yea the drive used to recognise on my original version of windows XP but after it crashed it always showed as the 128g. all my stuff is still on there... i have a program which i can see all the data on the partition and save it. its a free program that has worked on my 750g after it crashed.

here is the screen u asked for.

also here is the link to that program... i uploaded it in case anyone needs it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6K1MRA5G

Cheers Pyro
m
l
August 25, 2009 4:15:47 AM

also i just read that u wanted to know the process of how i reinstalled Vista...

basically my 1.5TB HDD was not plugged in when i installed it... only my 750g was. my 1.5TB was not touched since last time it was working on XP before it crashed. it was not partitioned in any way just a formatted Drive with data on it.

Cheers Pyro
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
August 25, 2009 7:01:51 PM

I'm still guessing here, but this is what I understand.

You had a system with one 750 GB drive on which was loaded Win XP as your OS, plus a bunch of apps and data. In addition you had a 1.5 TB drive, recognized as one drive of that size, on which you had a bunch of data mainly - animé's, movies, etc. Your XP installation failed in some manner, and you were able to back up from it most of its data. Then you disconnected the 1.5 TB drive and installed VISTA Ultimate 64 bit OS on the 750, then restored to it all your old data, so that drive is all OK. However, when you plugged the 1.5 TB unit back in, it appears to be only 128 GB and you can't see all your files. In fact, I cannot tell whether you can see ANY files in the 128 GB Partition on the 1.5 TB unit.

The screenshot you posted provides an important clue. According to it the E: drive is 128 GB with ALL of its space free, and it is in a RAW format. All of this is wrong. This is typical of a corrupted Partition Table on that drive. Somehow, whatever happened to your old XP, it did some damage to that table's data. The good news is that it is highly likely that your actual data in the 1.5TB unit is just fine and you just can't get at it yet. In fact, the free program you have used before CAN see that data.

This looks mostly like a need to repair the Partition Table. One good tool for that, I understand, is Getdataback NTFS. Look here:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

It is NOT free. But you can download a free trial version that will scan your disk and show you what it can recover. If you like it, you buy the license key and it will do the recovery for you. If it's not going to do your job, you don't buy.

Another third-party package at lower cost is this:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector...

Some freeware for this purpose:

http://www.softplatz.com/freeware/partition-recovery/

In this long thread, about 3/4 of the way down, tosh9i reports success using Partition Table Doctor to recover a Partition Table:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251334-32-trying-inst...

I would certainly hope (expect??) that fixing the Partition Table will restore full access to the entire 1.5TB unit and recognize it as already Formatted as an NTFS File system.

Some or all of the NOT free third-party tools may do a deal like Getdataback NTFS - free download to try the fix and display the projected results. If it will do the whole job for you, you pay and buy, then use the full version. If not, don't pay and try out another package before paying.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2009 2:46:20 AM

I guess I'm confused by the description of the problem here.

I thought he installed vista on his data drive wiping out the partition on the data drive.

once you overwrite a partition and put vistas 8gig of data or whatever on it.. you should experience data loss??

I guess im confused.. good luck
m
l
August 26, 2009 3:02:39 AM

rand_79 windows XP failed on my 750 which isnt my data drive. once i reinstalled vista to the 750 my data drive wasnt recognising as a 1.5tb only a 128g. i got the program paperdoc said to get and its currently running. worst case situation iv got all my data recovered off it now anyway. i went and got an external HDD and recovered then copied it all to that. so if a format is required i can do it and keep all my data.
m
l
August 27, 2009 3:01:43 PM

ok if u want you can mark this as Fixed... i backed all my data up onto about 4 externals then cleared all partitions then formatted the drive and its working fine now.... thanks for all your time and help..... =D

Cheers Pyro
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
August 27, 2009 3:07:59 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you worked it out.
m
l
September 27, 2009 8:03:44 AM

Pyro89 said:
Yea the drive used to recognise on my original version of windows XP but after it crashed it always showed as the 128g. all my stuff is still on there... i have a program which i can see all the data on the partition and save it. its a free program that has worked on my 750g after it crashed.

here is the screen u asked for.
]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4919/screenjfb.th.jpg

also here is the link to that program... i uploaded it in case anyone needs it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6K1MRA5G

Cheers Pyro

Hello, Pyro,

I'd like to gain access to a free copy of the program that you used to see all the data on the partition and save it. Unfortunately, the link that you provided was out of service. Could you give the name or another link of the program? Thanks.
m
l
!