Sign in with
Your question

Rampage Formula v. P5E3 Premium

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2008 3:57:59 AM

The two obvious and main differences between these two boards are (1) price (Rampage Formula retails for $289.00; P5E3 for $369.00) and (2) the RAM they take (Rampage Formula takes DDR2; P5E3 takes DDR3).

I did some rough, back of a napkin calculations, and it appears that the Rampage Formula with 4 gigs is about $200 less than the P5E3 premium with the same number of gigs. Is there any reason that it would make sense to spend the extra $200? Any at all? Future compatibility? Speed difference? Does DDR3 work better with any particular intel processors or any particular ATI/NVIDIA cards? Is DDR3 better suited for Windows 64?

As an aside, why can't I find the Rampage Formula on ASUS's website without using google? Their menu system simply won't let you get to it. Is it no longer supported?

Thanks for your responses!
July 21, 2008 12:22:18 PM

Yes, there are 2:

1) bragging rights. :) 
2) Future compatibility

But if you're buying ddr3, you might as well wait for Nehalem.
July 22, 2008 1:00:40 AM

Ok, so if I don't care to brag, and I don't want to wait another 6 mos to get my build started, I should go with rampage? RAM is usually the first thing to go down in price with any new advance, so if I ever plan to do X58, I would have to buy a new cpu anyway. What's the point of buying expensive ram today just to potentially save a marginal amount during some future upgrade? I am quite confident that if I upgrade my mobo and cpu in 2-3 yrs, RAM will be among the lesser expenses.

Am I missing anything? So I should go with Rampage Formula? Just want to make as informed a decision as I can. Thanks all!
July 22, 2008 11:39:30 AM

I would go with Rampage + DDR2 if I didn't plan to go Nehalem.
!