Sign in with
Your question

ECC Suport for AMD LE-1600 AM2

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2008 12:43:24 AM

Hi all..

Would anyone here know if a AMD LE-1600 AM2 CPU supports ECC Registered RAM ?

Thank you.
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2008 12:52:05 AM

ECC Ram is, from what I can tell, only used in servers. So, to put it simply, no.
June 28, 2008 1:29:44 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply...

Is that a definite NO ?

Related resources
June 28, 2008 1:46:19 AM

I think it usually depends on the motherboard...

However I searched briefly on newegg and amd's site and could not find anything in the quick spec sheet that mentioned ECC. I DO believe that only server cpu's (I.E. opterons in this case) are capable of ECC. I don't exactly understand ECC, but I do know it is for servers that MUST be accurate to an insane degree. So, if you are using this chip as a home server, it shouldn't matter really. In the everyday user's usage, I doubt if ECC would make even calculations more accurate...
June 28, 2008 4:06:12 AM

rabidbunny said:
I think it usually depends on the motherboard...

However I searched briefly on newegg and amd's site and could not find anything in the quick spec sheet that mentioned ECC. I DO believe that only server cpu's (I.E. opterons in this case) are capable of ECC. I don't exactly understand ECC, but I do know it is for servers that MUST be accurate to an insane degree. So, if you are using this chip as a home server, it shouldn't matter really. In the everyday user's usage, I doubt if ECC would make even calculations more accurate...

Thanks rabidbunny...
I actually found that aparently ALL AMD cpu's support UN-REGISTERED ECC, but only the server range support REGISTERED ECC.
Anyway, like you said, for home server applications it probably makes no difference. I am using Windows Home Server and came across a post that some data corruption was happening to a WHS user which was caused by faulty RAM . He only came across the fault because of some stress testing he carried out on the server. Otherwise he still would have no idea that he had faulty RAM in his server.
This is what prompted me to take preventative measures... i figured that if i use ECC Ram, i could avoid this type of data corruption.

cheers
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 28, 2008 4:11:53 AM

It's up to the motherboard chipset and since AMD has an IMC (integrated memory controller) it would have to be ECC 'aware' to work across various chipsets.

ECC stands for 'Error Correcting Code' which means that in addition to sending data bits, additional 'check bits' are sent to verify data integrity. It detects and corrects memory errors.

Mobos will support both ECC and nonECC ram. It's possible that you can put ECC ram in a nonECC motherboard. The error correcting function would, of course, not work.

If the mobo manual specifically says 'non-parity memory only' it won't work.

!