Idle temps stay constant from high overclok to low??

defconhakr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Asus V60 heatsink
dynex silver thermal compound
Intel E6300 1.86GHz (stock)
2x2 DDR2 800MHz

okay, so originally without overclocking my system ran at 38C idle and 48C-52C full load

i overclocked the FSB only from 1066 to like 1600+ and that was 1.86GHz to 3.1
(voltage for the FSB at like 1.500 at the furthest overclocking i did, and 1.275 when i dropped it))
after the overclock the system ran at 54C idle and 67C full load.
WAY too much so i lowered the fsb a bit.
and coretemp says my cpu idle temp is STILL at like 53C
i dropped the FSB all the way down to 1200. CPU at 2.27GHz
again, it still remains at 53C-54C idle

now, i have applied the thermal compound like 2 days ago, and the day i did, i overclocked it.
and, through google, someone said that i should "keep the CPU at stock temps for a week or two to let the thermal grease burn in."
is this myth or fiction?
say it IS true and i messed up the grease, causing me to reapply it for the 3rd time and reset the clock settings. would it help?

im going to return the frequency/voltage settings and see if that changes anything, but i HIGHLY doubt it.

i just need someone's opinion

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Most thermal compounds take a few 'thermal cycles' before they are fully effective, but you should only be talking a few degrees difference from when they are first applied.

How did you apply the thermal paste? It might also be helpful if you say what mobo you're using!

defconhakr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
OHH! sorry lol

its an EVGA nForce 750i SLI mobo

i applied a small amount and used a playing card and scraped it around kinda lol until it was a very thin layer.

i just put a thin layer of it on my heatsink and nothing on my cpu