Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble booting from CD/DVD

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2009 8:52:27 PM

So first my computer is all slow and all and I sometimes have had trouble booting up so I figured it was the hard drive that my operating system is installed on. But I have 2.

So I tried booting up my windows vista disk and install it on hard drive 2(my computer is on XP but I don't have that disk anymore)
But that only gives me an error saying "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press enter"

And if I try booting up again from my hard drive it gets to the window loading screen (the one before logging in)
but after a few secs of loading a black screen appears and it restarts.

If I turn off automatic restarting it gives me the error: 0xc0000135
and says the system has been turned off.

If I run it in safe mode it loads a list of things and ends on mup.sys which is supposed to be the one right before agp440.sys says someone and he says that agp440.sys might be the problem instead. And that is something related to the video driver subsystem.

So I can't start from a disk or the hard drive.

And I have no clue about any of this, I'm just Googling.
I'm just having all these problems, no matter what I do I can't turn the computer on.
Not with the driver or the cd.

I would like to be able to boot from a disk. If anyone can help me with this then thank you very much.
And btw before this I had some trouble sometimes booting up and it just said some error on the boot up. What I just did was to restart it and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
But then it was all slow, things didn't load until moments later and it was unusable. Then it got faster, but then again slower after rebooting it.

I've always thought it was because of my hard drive. So I wanted to reformat it.

More about : trouble booting dvd

August 24, 2009 9:21:49 PM

Are you using a commercially pressed disc or a burned copy? And have you tried booting off of another disc? It's a stupid question, but it's often overlooked, since burned copies will sometimes work on one drive and not another and could easily be causing that. Also before you start messing around with driver files, can you get to a command prompt from safe mode and run chkdsk?
August 24, 2009 9:34:21 PM

donpacific2k said:
Are you using a commercially pressed disc or a burned copy? And have you tried booting off of another disc? It's a stupid question, but it's often overlooked, since burned copies will sometimes work on one drive and not another and could easily be causing that. Also before you start messing around with driver files, can you get to a command prompt from safe mode and run chkdsk?

I am using the original, not a burned out.

But there is some new stuff. Before I couldn't get it to boot via a disk it always just went on loading windows.
Even after telling it to first for a disk.

So I disabled the 2 hard drives but I accidentally disabled the cd / dvd drive.
But I just enabled it and this time I here the cd / dvd drive making a load noise like its reading the disk.
But after a while it again says "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

But at least its now on and is trying to boot it.

EDIT: Whoops I have an upgrade disk only.
So if I get a good disk it will work. I've fixed that problem!

But I don't understand why the computer doesn't work.
O well a reformat is always nice!

Thanks for helping, you lead to me figuring out it was only an upgrade to vista disk.
But a valid one though, not a burnt one!
Related resources
September 3, 2009 3:08:19 PM

Putting aside the cd boot errors for the moment, if you can get into safe mode booting off the hard drive, try to run "CHKDSK C: /F" from the command prompt. I think that might be the easiest way to solve this problem, assuming sectors on the drive got corrupted. It's certainly possible that the video drivers got corrupted somehow without any bad sectors on the drive, but at least you'd be able to eliminate the hardware aspect. But if you're going to reformat anyway CHKDSK should be run automatically when windows installs. The thing is, your upgrade disk should be bootable, unless it is damaged somehow (and your boot order is set correctly in BIOS, with CD first, then hard drive). So could it be a bad drive? I'd at least borrow a boot disc you know for sure is working and try that, and if it's still not working then the drive probably needs to be replaced.
September 8, 2009 5:47:32 PM

Have you checked your device manager, is there any red or yellow alert there? Have you tried your bootable disk? Feel free to visit DigitalSupportTech for getting help.

cooolr said:
So first my computer is all slow and all and I sometimes have had trouble booting up so I figured it was the hard drive that my operating system is installed on. But I have 2.

So I tried booting up my windows vista disk and install it on hard drive 2(my computer is on XP but I don't have that disk anymore)
But that only gives me an error saying "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press enter"

And if I try booting up again from my hard drive it gets to the window loading screen (the one before logging in)
but after a few secs of loading a black screen appears and it restarts.

If I turn off automatic restarting it gives me the error: 0xc0000135
and says the system has been turned off.

If I run it in safe mode it loads a list of things and ends on mup.sys which is supposed to be the one right before agp440.sys says someone and he says that agp440.sys might be the problem instead. And that is something related to the video driver subsystem.

So I can't start from a disk or the hard drive.

And I have no clue about any of this, I'm just Googling.
I'm just having all these problems, no matter what I do I can't turn the computer on.
Not with the driver or the cd.

I would like to be able to boot from a disk. If anyone can help me with this then thank you very much.
And btw before this I had some trouble sometimes booting up and it just said some error on the boot up. What I just did was to restart it and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
But then it was all slow, things didn't load until moments later and it was unusable. Then it got faster, but then again slower after rebooting it.

I've always thought it was because of my hard drive. So I wanted to reformat it.

!