Do I need an IDE dvd drive to load an operating system?

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
good question. i know that for hard drives and windows xp you do need either the floppy with the sata drivers or you would need to slipstream those drivers into a disk.

but i don't that optical drives use drivers, since i never upgraded them. i think that in this case it's just the connection to the motherboard and it doesn't require it. IMO. i could be wrong

ram1009

Distinguished
Don't buy the ASUS drive. Get a Samsung. I have both. You won't be sorry. I built a box last year and another this year and loaded drivers thru a floppy drive. No problem once you visit the MB webpage and get the right driver. You can always remove the floppy later but I recommend you keep it.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

sailer

Splendid
I have two computers using the same ASUS SATA drives as you listed, the DRW-2014L1T, and both computers work very well using them. I have one of the drives on one computer which uses XP64 Pro and two of them installed on my latest build. I did this last build about two months ago, installing Vista 64 with SP1 using the ASUS SATA drive and it went without any problem whatsoever. I did designate the ASUS drive as the primary drive in the BIOS while doing the load and then I designated the hard drive as the primary drive after the OS was installed. I have had no driver problems at all, and there is no floppy drive with the latest computer, so obviously a floppy drive is not needed.

As for someone commenting at Newegg that and IDE drive was needed to install the OS because SATA DVD drives are not recognized from the start, he's wrong. I know, because the drive was immediately recognized by both of my computers, one while installing XP64 and the other while installing Vista 64, and they both loaded the OS without any problem or need of a floppy drive at any time.

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Well, since both those replies were posted in the time it took me to log in, I'll just agree with Sailer and Kad. I just installed XP onto a Sata drive that was immediately recognized by the system. RAID array's are a different story (I think...I'm not entirely qualified to answer that question) but by the sounds of it you aren't going that route, so it's fine.

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Just finished building a computer and used an SATA DVD player to install XP and Vista on a partitioned hard drive for dual booting - worked just fine. You don't need IDE.

BTW, I second the Samsung 20X SATA DVD burner recommendation - that's what I used and it's an excellent drive. Very quiet and speedy. Much superior to the last lite on I used.

Have dual boot (XP pro / Vista32), Both installs were completed using plextor Sata DVD drive, I did need the floppy to load the Raid drivers as my 4 HHDs are set up as 2 pairs of Raid 0 drives. So as others have said - No problem

new2toms

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Thank you guys! you helped me avoid one less purchase. I will be using xp pro 32 bit but I think it should be ok.