jlking92887

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have an 8GB Sony Microvault Jumpdrive that I've just recently started having a major problem with. Last Friday I was using it at work and it was working fine. I logged off my computer, then just pulled the jump drive out, I didn't click on the "Add/Remove hardware" icon at the bottom right of the screen, but I made sure that no data was being transfered. I got home and plugged it into my computer and I got an error saying "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it" (See Attached Image). If I click the dialogue nothing happens at all to fix it. It just shows me which usb port is malfunctioning. Also when I plug in my jump drive the Light on the side of it does not come on anymore and it used to. The error I get doesn't just show up on one computer though. It showed up on my home computer friday, my girlfriends laptop friday, and now here at work today I am getting the error also. So I came to believe that something is seriously wrong with the jump drive.

I've tried several different fixes for this problem that I could find on forums online, including uninstalling all my USB drivers, modifiying some files in the registry and shutting down and unplugging my computer for 30+ minutes. But none of them seem to work. I also tried using a data recovery program which I heard was the best way to solve it, and it would not work, as it could not even find the drive on my computer.

I've contacted a few places in trying to recover the data and they are quoting me at costing 250-300+ to recover the data. Which I feel is pretty rediculous. I was hoping maybe someone could suggest what to do or where to take it(I live in the Seattle, WA area). I desperately need the files off my jump drive. In the future I will def. back things up.

Computer Stats:
My Home Computer
Computer Type: PC

My Girlfriend's Laptop

Work Computer

Link to the actual Jump Drive
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665161515

Kabby

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Well, after I'm 100% sure that there's no more hope, I'll just take the chip out and solder it into some other USB drive.. hope it doesn't come to that however :cry: