Sign in with
Your question

Laptop died

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 10, 2012 9:09:31 PM

Quick question, my laptop's hard drive has finally died or just corrupted but it wouldn't boot up but I am able to recover data off of it. I just want to know what my best course of action would be right now

If I buy a new hard drive for my laptop, can I simply mirror the image from my failed drive and onto the new
one? Would this work if I just plugged it back in?..but if its corrupted then it wouldn't work at all.

I don't have any recovery CD's and on another note, my USB ports are all fried on the motherboard. I love this laptop, don't want to see it die on me yet. Formating a laptop is a pain..all those drivers etc.

I want to revive it again..for the 3rd time!

Thanks in advance

More about : laptop died

a b D Laptop
November 11, 2012 9:20:43 AM

chayipdan said:
Quick question, my laptop's hard drive has finally died or just corrupted but it wouldn't boot up but I am able to recover data off of it. I just want to know what my best course of action would be right now

If I buy a new hard drive for my laptop, can I simply mirror the image from my failed drive and onto the new
one? Would this work if I just plugged it back in?..but if its corrupted then it wouldn't work at all.

I don't have any recovery CD's and on another note, my USB ports are all fried on the motherboard. I love this laptop, don't want to see it die on me yet. Formating a laptop is a pain..all those drivers etc.

I want to revive it again..for the 3rd time!

Thanks in advance

If the drive is in its death throes, chances of mirroring it are slim, plus if it is corrupted, you don't want data or system files from it. Coupled with hardware issues, I think it is time to replace it.
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:18:13 PM

So my best course of action would be to install OS and drivers on another computer before moving it back to my laptop?
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2012 3:53:42 AM

What kind of problems will I run into if I buy a new hard drive to install to my laptop? I've heard that I might not be able to boot because of missing drivers.

What i'm planning to do is purchase a new hard drive and install os and drivers from my desktop then move it to my laptop. is this possible?

need help!!
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2012 9:58:14 AM

chayipdan said:
What kind of problems will I run into if I buy a new hard drive to install to my laptop? I've heard that I might not be able to boot because of missing drivers.

What i'm planning to do is purchase a new hard drive and install os and drivers from my desktop then move it to my laptop. is this possible?

need help!!

no. Apples & oranges ! If you are buying a new hard drive, put it in the laptop and install.
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:25:49 AM

Best to take it to a PC repair shop and get them to mirror the drive to the new hdd.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:30:32 AM

chayipdan said:

need help!!

is your laptop so good, or are just attached to it?
it would be a lot easier for you to just buy a new one. if your USB are fried , i am assuming there are other issues with it. why put good hardware on an old piecer....
just get a new one. since Windows 8 came out, the older Windows Vista Laptops are a lot cheaper. check Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PCs/Laptop-Comput...
you can select your price range, performance, etc.
I am betting you could just get a new laptop for around the price of a laptop HardDrive...
m
l
!