Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 flash failure

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Tried flashing the BIOS on this board to the latest rev. QFlash read and verified the BIOS, started flashing, then popped up with an error.

Now it's stuck in an endless power on/off cycle.

So much for the ultra redundant "Quad BIOS".

Any suggestions? Does this board support emergency flashing by floppy/CD or anything like that? The manual doesn't talk about it.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Im sure there is a way to update bios via a command line. You just need to find it out how to do it. Probably involves a (gasp) floppy drive. Another thing you could try is a CMOS reset and see if that stops the reboot loop.

Things like this are precisely why I still put a floppy drive in my PCs.

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Tried a CMOS reset already; no help. I will try putting a physical floppy drive on the motherboard to see if it even tries to read from it. I was hoping that the motherboard would have such a failsafe, but I have been unable to confirm.

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
That info doesn't really help. I already know how to flash it and used the QFlash function. I've heard horror stories of their Windows flasher not working reliably, so I didn't touch that one.

I have flashed this board and countless other computers many times before. This is actually the first bad BIOS flash I've experienced in my 20 years of professional computing.

syrob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Had same problem with non T version of the board, try removing one memory stick, booting might occur, verify all is ok and then put back secondstick. Found that memtest was putting out errors immediatly as bios was all screwed up in dual channel, needed to go through single stick conversion to clean up problemmmm

SYROB

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I didn't have a problem with the dual channel memory before the BIOS flash. No problems booting with default memory timings, although I do adjust them to get memtest to pass without errors. I will mess around with it some more when I get home to see if pulling one helps it boot.

I can't try the DOS flash utility at this point because the machine won't even boot. I'm going to connect a real floppy (not USB) to see if it tries to access it during the boot. If I'm lucky the motherboard will have a failsafe function to try and load a BIOS image off of floppy. Otherwise it's probably a paperweight.

icorluka

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Hi, I am Ivica from Croatia, sorry for my bad english.
I have the same problem, I tried to flash x48t dq6 with program @BIOS,
after that it ask me to restart computer, I click yes and then BLACK SCREEN!!!
Then the same problem like yours "endless power on/off cycle".
My computer is intel quad core 2.66 GHz, 2x1gb corsair DDR3 1600 MHz, 9800 gtx...
I tried cmos reset, I tryed to remove one stick memory, I tried with another graphic card, I moved procesor out and put it in again, and nothing helps.
I think this will be global problem, because i read on ather forum that 6 people already have the same problem.
I dont know what to do.

punchinello

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I've got a brick as well after attempting to flash the bios. No solution thus far to correct the situation. The system will power up for several seconds with nothing on the screeen and then power cycle (repeatedly).

I tried removing various components, resetting the CMOS, removing one memory chip... all fail.

I'm hoping someone lucky enough to find a solution posts one here.

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Well, last night I tried connecting a real floppy drive to the motherboard. No luck. :( The drive is not accessed at all during the broken boot process.

I tried removing one DIMM -- didn't help. Tried removing the battery and resetting the BIOS -- didn't help. I removed all components except video -- didn't help.

So much for the supposed quadruple-redundant BIOS! I can see what appears to be two physical BIOS chips on the motherboard but there's no way to manually switch between them. Apparently the motherboard is supposed to switch automatically if the primary BIOS is corrupt.

I am going to try and RMA the board...

G

OMG... i have the exact same problem... It is the first motherboard from Gigabyte i bought (im an asus guy) and probably the last!!!
Did anyone find a solution?

drwtsn32

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm surprised you had a problem! After more investigating, it seems the F5 BIOS originally posted on 7/19 was corrupt. Gigabyte re-released the F5 BIOS on 7/21 and that one works fine.

I was able to resurrect my board by carefully shorting two pins on the primary BIOS at precisely the right time during bootup. Took many, many tries to get it, but the board booted using its backup BIOS (F4) and automatically copied it to the primary BIOS.

See this page for more info: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=456956

G

thanks so much m8.... Dont know what happens but the behavior was the same... Anw i short the pins on main BIOS and is averything ok(except the OS but who cares :)
Thanks again!!!

chunk_76

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
to reset the bios jst pop that battery out, though i still cant get my board to boot in dual channel. Keeps on bootin single mode no matter how many times i update my bios qq

kks273

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hello,I called Tech support on my board toady and i unplugged the drives, removed the battery, cleared the bios, pulled the ram, turned the system on for 15-20 seconds or so... i got the no ram in system beeps... this is good... i put one stick of ram in and then try to enter the bios...
it worked for for me:)