Sign in with
Your question

Ide converter to sata problem

Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2009 11:06:57 PM

my problem is that the ide drive (with a sata converter on it here the link to it i have pluged in the converter into the ide HDD and the the sata cable to sata2_0 i have plugged in power plugs to the converter and the HDD (read on another forum that people forget to do that tried it aswell) i only wanting to use one HDD and that's the HDD with the converter as my motherboard (mobo for future reference) only has one ide plug on mobo which is a pain it is a gigabyte mobo MA78G-DS3H i have read the manual for setting up one sata HDD (that was no help what so ever) i have tried putting the sata to raid and native ide also trye AHCI raid doesn't show any drive and AHCI and Native IDE don't show any HDD on windows installation i have also tried to load the drivers for all the installation and that syill didnt show my HDD at first this is the second converter i got thougth first oen was broken so got another one for free (thanks to kind ebay seller)
any help would be grate would love it to work maybe am missing some thing i don't no but all forums that i read haven't helped

my specs
AMD+2 Quad core 1.40ghz
1 dvd drive on ide as well set to slave (tried it with converter as well but think i was doing some thing wrong there anyway would be grate get it to work on that as well as i have 2 converters if the first isn't broken)
30gb HDD ide (girlfriend using my 150gd and new 500gd sata hard drive isnt in till end of week bum)
4gd ram
gigabyte mobo MA78G-DS3H with driver disk

if any more info needed please just ask.

hope some one can help me with this :) 
a b G Storage
August 26, 2009 1:56:09 PM

Try a PATA PCI card.
That should work for sure.
a b G Storage
August 26, 2009 1:58:46 PM

Is there a driver necessary for recognizing/using that card in the computer?
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
August 26, 2009 4:53:13 PM

I see three problems you have that we should be able to fix.

1. Although your mobo has only one IDE port, EVERY IDE port can support TWO devices, and so far you have only one - the DVD drive. You may have been misled, however, if the ribbon cable supplied with your mobo to connect the DVD to the mobo port has only 2 connectors on it - one for each end. What you need is a different cable just like it (with 80 conductors in the ribbon), but with a third connector in the middle. Get that from any computer shop. With that available, here's how you set it up.

(a) Because an IDE port can have up to two devices, both must be uniquely identified, and the method is to place some jumpers on pins on the device to make each either a Master or a Slave. On any IDE port in use there MUST be a Master. If you have a second device, then it MUST be the Slave. Watch out for confusion here: there is NO Master of the whole computer! An IDE port may have its Master and Slave, but that has NOTHING to do with which hard drive is the boot device called C:. SATA systems only use one device per port, so there is no such thing as Master or Slave on any SATA port.

(b) I am GUESSING that you want the older IDE hard drive to be used on the IDE port and not need the converter you have. I also guess you want it to become your boot drive, and you need to install Windows on it. No problem. First step is to disconnect the IDE drive and remove the adapter. Set its jumpers to make it the Master (or, if this choice exists, Master with Slave Present). Take your new ribbon cable and plug the correct end into the mobo IDE port in place of the old cable. Mount the IDE drive in the case and connect to it its power supply Molex and the END connector on the new ribbon cable. Disconnect the old cable from your DVD drive and verify that its jumpers are set to Slave. Plug into that the MIDDLE connector of the ribbon cable. (Two general rules for IDE systems: It's always better to have the Master on the end of the cable; and if you have a HDD and an optical drive sharing an IDE port and cable, make the HDD the Master.)

(c) With this setup your system should find both IDE devices and be able to use them. Some mobo's will try to default to using the IDE Master device as the boot device, and I'm assuming that is what you want now. But to be sure, you need to check how the BIOS is set. As you turn the system on and it starts to boot, hold down the "Del" key until it enters the BIOS Setup screens See your manual on page 36-37. On the main menu go to the second choice, Standard CMOS Features, and hit Enter. Check here that your HDD and DVD units show as the IDE Channel 0 Master and Slave (manual page 43). Use ESC to return to main menu, then choose Advanced BIOS Features (manual page 45-46). On that menu, look half way down at Hard Disk Boot Priority. I suggest you set it with the DVD drive as the first device, and the IDE HDD as the second one. That way it will boot and run from the DVD if there is a bootable disk in it (such as when you're doing your Install), but will boot from the IDE hard drive if there's nothing in the DVD drive. When done you can ESC to main menu or push F10 so that you Save and Exit the Setup utility and boot the machine.

(d) VERY IMPORTANT: I am assuming here that you do NOT want to preserve any of the old data on that 30 GB IDE drive and you want to destroy all its previous contents so you can install Windows on it. If that is not so, DO NOT proceed with this installation until you have safely backed up all old data from it.

(e) If you are going to install Windows to the hard drive, you must place your Install Disk in the DVD drive so it can boot from there. Watch the prompts carefully. If it gives you any indication that there is a previously-existing Partition or data on the drive, confirm that you want it all to be deleted so it can be replaced. If there's a choice, have it use ALL of the drive (make sure it looks close to 30 GB) and uses the NTFS File System. It will install. NOTE here: a 30 GB drive is a bit small for your Windows installation, but I think you're OK.

(f) When all the installation is finished, you should have Windows installed on your C: drive (about 30 GB total Space) so you can boot and run from it, and the DVD drive should be there also as the D: device.

IF I have made some incorrect assumptions above, we'll look at alternatives now. The main route is to change the assumption that you want the 30 GB IDE drive connected by itself to the IDE port. If instead you still want to use the adapter to connect it as a SATA drive, let's proceed. First thing to fix is your second error.

2. If you are NOT going to connect the 30 GB unit to the IDE channel with a new cable, but plan to continue using it as a SATA device using the adapter you have, there is a problem to fix on the DVD drive connected to the IDE port. That port MUST have a Master, and you say your DVD is jumpered to Slave. If that DVD will continue to be the ONLY device on the IDE port, change its jumpers to make it the Master.

3. I think you're confused about setting for SATA ports, and this involves which Windows you have to install. But first, check a detail about the IDE-SATA adapter. All IDE systems need a Master device, so I assume your IDE drive must have its jumpers set to Master when the adapter is attached to it. Check the adapter's instructions to verify this.

(a) Up to Windows XP, Windows knew all it needed to boot from and use (including during the Install Process) any IDE or PATA device, but it could not deal with things like SATA, SCSI, AHCI or RAID systems without having drivers loaded from a floppy disk during the Install. As of VISTA and Win 7, this is NOT a problem. In either case the procedure is easy if you set the BIOS right.

(b) In the BIOS Setup screens from the main menu choose Integrated Peripherals and look at the first three lines (manual page 48). First line should have the IDE port Enabled. Set the second line to Enable the SATA ports. For the third line, On-Chip SATA Type you will choose different settings according to which Windows you will install. IF you have Win XP in any version, choose Native IDE. This has the BIOS make the real SATA device appear to Windows to be a simple IDE device it knows about and it will all work. Any other setting (which seems to be what you did) and Win XP Install cannot deal with it. On the other hand, IF you have VISTA or Win7, both are supposed to be fully capable of dealing with native SATA or AHCI devices, and either of those settings is OK. Even leaving it as native IDE will work also for VISTA or Win7. Just do NOT choose RAID for what you are doing. Once you have done this, whatever device you want to use can be plugged into any of the ports marked SATA2_0 through SATA2_3, although it's a bit neater to plug the first SATA device into the first port, SATA2_0.

(c) With the third line set this way, the fourth line for SATA2_4 and 5 should not be available to make any changes.

(d) If you've set things here so that the hard drive you plan to boot from with its adapter is on one of the SATA ports, Esc back to main menu and go to Advanced BIOS Features in the middle to set the Hard Disk Boot Priority. Here make sure the hard disk you plan to use as your boot device is the one already connected to the SATA port. Now hit F10 to Save and Exit. You could hold down "Del" again to look at the BIOS Setup screens to verify it's all set the way you need, or you can just insert your Windows Install Disk in the DVD drive and have it boot from there to run the Install process.

When your new 500 GB SATA drive arrives you can simply install it and hook it up to the next SATA port, SATA2_1, if you plan to use it as a data drive and continue using the 30 GB unit as the boot drive (no matter whether it is connected to the IDE port or to the SATA2_0 port via adapter). Be aware that the new drive will need to be initialized or prepared for use by Windows. This involves creating on it one or more Partition(s) and Formatting them. Sometimes the drive has a software CD with it containing utilities to make this simple. If not, you may be able to get them as a free download from the disk manufacturer's website. Other alternative: Windows already has all the tools you need for this, but you'll need to find out how to use them.

If you want to change things around so that the 30 GB HDD is for data storage only and the new 500 GB SATA drive is where you install Windows, post that here and we can help you through that path.
August 26, 2009 6:02:45 PM

in the bios you have to use ide mode ahci won't work with the adapter and make sure you have no jumpers
on the back of the hard drive and if thats the only sata device connected try sata0 and in bios make sure its
set to boot drive
a c 342 G Storage
August 26, 2009 6:36:22 PM

marco324 said:
in the bios you have to use ide mode ahci won't work with the adapter and make sure you have no jumpers
on the back of the hard drive and if thats the only sata device connected try sata0 and in bios make sure its
set to boot drive

"no jumpers on the back of the hard drive" usually means you have set it to be a Slave. I suggest again you verify with the adapter's documents whether it matters if the IDE drive is set to Master or Slave.
August 28, 2009 9:00:01 AM

my new sata HDD arrived the next day after posting this haha put it in and oh wat it worked perfectly with out changing any thing. so i it was the conveters that just didnt work i guessing but now got another problem
new problem
i get this error 0x80070003 when installing windows vista ultimate on to my new sata hard drive i have got to the part were it copy's files over but then when it goes to expanding files it come up with this code 0x80070003 and says windows cannot install the required files. the file does not match. make sure all files required for installation, and restart the installation. then the error code. i know the error code is meant to have some thing to do with updates but this time it cant as there isnt anything to update on the hard drive.
i have tryed a a new copy of ultimate on new disc and same thing i no that the other disc did work cos i used it 5 mins before on ide HDD. the installtion process is also so slow it actually was left on for 3 hours last night and then got another error when went to the next stage.
i still have to 30gd HDD as well sitting in my pc (cant be arsed to take it out)
i have formatted every thing and also deleted both HDD and tried to the n install on to the sata HDD but to no avail. sata HDD in is sata2_0 and my 30gd HDD and disc drive both on ide
any one able to help me again?
August 28, 2009 9:04:41 AM

the sata hard drive in in raid mode with sata port 4 and 5 in sata type as well. it all works fine untill installation. i don't want to have to install os on to the ide HDD i would prefer to have it on sata HDD
i am going to try xp and see how that works and will post back after trying it
ps i have ubuntu available in case need to use live disc for any thing
August 28, 2009 10:13:40 AM

Quote:

1. Although your mobo has only one IDE port, EVERY IDE port can support TWO devices, and so far you have only one - the DVD drive. You may have been misled, however, if the ribbon cable supplied with your mobo to connect the DVD to the mobo port has only 2 connectors on it - one for each end. What you need is a different cable just like it (with 80 conductors in the ribbon), but with a third connector in the middle. Get that from any computer shop. With that available, here's how you set it up.

i know how to use 2 ide devices as well forgot to mention that sorry
August 28, 2009 10:24:34 AM

ok tried to install xp that didn't work as don't have sata driver on a floppy disc forgot that xp cant load from storage device. so looks like it have to be vista i get to work. any one able to help?
a b G Storage
August 28, 2009 10:58:49 AM

Set the SATA controller to IDE mode and you don't have to load drivers for XP.
The only advantage AHCI mode has really is native command queing, and hot swapping.
Any speed difference is quite small.
August 28, 2009 11:12:40 AM

jitpublisher said:
Set the SATA controller to IDE mode and you don't have to load drivers for XP.
The only advantage AHCI mode has really is native command queing, and hot swapping.
Any speed difference is quite small.

is there any real noticeable difference in the speed of sata and ide? cos ryt now vista install on ide is so much faster at 80% in about 30 mins

i have also noticed that when choosing hhd to install t that it says there is only 468.???gd total size when first time put it in pc and tried install there was 49?.???gd (? =cant member) is that bad?
have tried format and delete not changed any thing is there any way to get it bk to 49?.??? cos vista format isnt doing it??

(and if any one wonder why dont use ide hdd its because it only 30 gd and will probably be taken out when in mood asm wanting it on sata hdd so that sata is the local c disk stead of stupid 30 gd hdd
August 28, 2009 2:52:09 PM

ok well after falling asleep cos so annoyed at this problem i found out that vista did install fine on the ide hard drive

so its some thing am doing wrong or its the hard drive ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
August 31, 2009 8:17:41 PM

thanks for every ones reply. i have tried to use an image of vista that didn't work either it comes up with the device is not attached but the thing is not one touched to pc whiles it was doing the restore (unless a ghost) so that's failed as well. rite now am am trying to install ubuntu and to see if that works, i have kinda tried a windows 7 rc version that i have with no success but will be trying that again in different ways tonight.
and great ubuntu didnt install as well

ok now couple of things left it is the sata hdd thats faulty (will probably be phoning ebuyer in the moring by looks of it) or a connection is wrong but i dont see how it could be the second one when it shows up fine in bios and installation

i have managed to get other things to install on to the sata hdd when loads os of the ide hdd it works fine then but i cant get any os to install on to the sata hdd

has any one got idears that i can try (will be trying just about every thing tonight)
and please dont say look up error code in google or ms that doesnt work atall
August 31, 2009 8:47:37 PM

ok now am really confused i have just installed windows xp gamer edition and had no problems not understanding how this could of worked (gamer edition isnt done by ms)

any one got any idea's????????
and would an upgrade to vista work????
not understanding how this worked tho
September 3, 2009 8:13:23 AM

STHellRaiser said:
ok now am really confused i have just installed windows xp gamer edition and had no problems not understanding how this could of worked (gamer edition isnt done by ms)

any one got any idea's????????
and would an upgrade to vista work????
not understanding how this worked tho

My best guess is that Vista isn't properly recognizing your IDE to SATA converter. Is there a Vista driver available for it?

And it's best to supply the manufacturer's SATA driver during the Vista install. It's even mandatory for some chipsets: my 780i board still requires manual storage driver installation during Vista install. I honestly don't know if your mobo has this requirement, but it won't hurt, and could help: you can download them from Gigabyte's website.

The New Number 2
September 4, 2009 1:46:18 PM

found out that xp installs but vista just didnt so maybe it isnt compatable have sent it back today and there goign to try it at ebuyer then send out one that works in 5 days :( 
September 13, 2009 4:07:23 PM

STHellRaiser said:
found out that xp installs but vista just didnt so maybe it isnt compatable have sent it back today and there goign to try it at ebuyer then send out one that works in 5 days :( 

These are the same people that sold you a used HDD... Why are you still doing business with them?!

The New Number 2
September 13, 2009 11:18:52 PM

thenewnumber2 said:
These are the same people that sold you a used HDD... Why are you still doing business with them?!

the company i am using is ebuyer.com i have never had any problem with any thing else i have bought from then infact my custom pc is from parts from there site, there a major company and pretty sure lot people here know of them they have taken the hdd back and will take 5 days to get a new one (they have to test the old one lmao wouldnt of ask for replacement if wasnt working and its was only 4 days old but oh well
!