Sign in with
Your question

Noob Question about OC failing

Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2009 2:49:16 AM

A couple weeks ago I got a q9650 to put in my P5B mobo. I read a handful of noob OC'ing guides from various sites and noticed that none of the guides explained what to expect or what exactly to do when the OC fails, ie: the computer doesn't post. I would then do a hard reset but 90% of the time I could never get it to post again. What I ended up doing is taking the cmos battery out and then putting it back in which would then let me post but of course my bios settings were back to defaults. Is the correct thing to do?

The beginner OC guides I read were all extremely helpful but don't forget that part of being a noob is not knowing what to expect or what exactly to do when the OC fails!

Thanks for your time.

More about : noob question failing

March 11, 2009 6:37:44 AM

It depends on your MB model. Some will automatically reset the BIOS settings to the last ones that worked OK at the next boot, some will reset the BIOS to default settings, and with some you have to do things manually as you describe. BTW, most MBs have a jumper or switch to clear the CMOS so you don't have to actually remove the battery.
March 11, 2009 7:13:07 AM

The gigabyte P35/45 etc. will reset the OC after three POST attempts, if I remember correctly.

Yes what you are doing is the right thing. The CMOS clear pins should do it, but when that fails I try the battery even though they effectively do the same thing.

I try it more out of desperation than anything else. :lol: 
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 11, 2009 1:39:37 PM

Yep. Depends on the motherboard. My 680i motherboard will reset either processor or memory back to stock settings depending on what it thinks is wrong.

My Gigabyte P35 board resets back to stock configuration after a failed OC attempt.
!