Asus P5N-E sli and sata issues

thetexasranger

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 attached to my Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard via SATA II cables with Vista 64. They are both functioning correctly to the best of my knowledge (they both passed Sea Tools diagnostic). All my drivers are up to date including BIOS, and Nforce.

The problem is that if I try to transfer large files between them (probably more than 4 gb), the transfer speed goes from 30 mb/s to eventually around 3 mb/s. In other words the transfer speed continues to quickly deteriorate over time. To test the hard drives , I tried transferring a file to a USB external drive and even then I got mostly like 8-9 mb/s with my Hitachi and about the same with the Barracuda. I tried calling Seagate and posting on their forum. Someone suggested disabling command queuing and that did not work. My only conclusion would be that there is something amiss with the SATA.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

lasttarget

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Never heard of a problem like this

Try
Using different SATA ports on the motherboard
Use new cables
Do a fresh reformat
Load bios defaults if you messed with them
Use xp to see if the problem persist
Disconnect everything on the motherboard except for one drive and try copying data from USB drive

It could just be Vista. I bought a 4850 and whenever i put it in my box my CPU went up to 30% utilization. It didnt happen in xp. So i knew it was a driver problem. It turned out it was one of the system drivers and when disabled worked fine.

thetexasranger

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
I think I fixed it. It's kind of crazy. It turns out I had to install an obscure JMICRON driver from Asus's website. Thanks for the suggestions though I'm glad I didn't have to try them.