Sign in with
Your question

New SATA HDD...isnt detected

Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2008 5:04:46 AM

My dad got a new workstation and it came with two seagate cheetah 10,000rpm drives so I got one off of him for $25.

I hooked it up in my computer that currently has 1 hdd and one dvdrw drive and the new drive isnt detected.

What could be going wrong? I have power and I have the sata cable attached. I have taken the power and sata cable from my primary hard drive and hooked it up to the new drive by itself and its still not detected by the bios.

I have tried multiple sata ports on my mobo, the Asus P5k-e. There are red ports and black ports and ive tried both.

sorry its a badly worded question Im in a hurry

More about : sata hdd isnt detected

May 21, 2008 5:18:05 AM

^ exactly. You need a scsi interface card to use with it.
Related resources
May 21, 2008 5:24:58 AM

just three thing to check
you're problem is around
1-cables
2-jumber
3-and sata controller if you are installing anew OS
May 21, 2008 5:31:16 AM

Hehe. I thought that was an SAS drive but wasn't sure so I didn't comment before :p 
May 21, 2008 6:02:33 AM

Crap then why does it hook up right, what do I need to use it?

His workstation isnt making any crazy sounds like the old scsi drives, it acts like they are normal sata drives.

BUMMER

EDIT: Yeah scsi cards are really expensive. I guess I have a POS drive I cant do anything with
May 21, 2008 6:20:14 AM

So I did a few searches and discovered that you can get cheap stuff to use these on ebay, but all of these topics were a few years old and talking about really small drives. This drive is 146gb, is there a way to do this for $50 or so? This is a pretty nice drive and I dont know what to do with it if I dont use it. I seems like it would be perfect to load vista and some games on.
May 23, 2008 8:23:31 AM

Any tips?
!