Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video Streaming Problems

Last response: in Windows XP
September 20, 2010 7:38:48 PM

Hello.

I have a problem viewing videos as the first time in viewing, it is constantly buffering. It's extremely frustrating. How do I solve this problem?
September 21, 2010 3:35:07 PM

Depending on the videos that you are trying to view, you could have the following issues at play:
- Slow internet connection
- Busy internet connection
- Found a site that fakes the video stream buffering to get you to click for malware
- Low physical memory available (in which case the buffering will pass into virtual Ram; which is VVEERRYY slow)
- Low Graphics memory also may be an issue
- Old Graphics card drivers

If you are able to try the exact same stream on another computer and it does not have the same effect. Then you may not have a problem with your computer.

Otherwise, check the above listed issues that may have contributed to your problem before looking for other causes.
m
l
September 28, 2010 2:29:22 AM

It does this on my other computer as well. The first time watching, it buffers, plays a little bit, buffers again and so on. Upon replay, it works beautifully - no buffering the second time around. I've tried deleting temp files and making sure I have plenty of memory and the speed I have is 100.0 Mbps.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2010 3:05:02 AM

Yes, that indicates a slow internet connection
m
l
September 28, 2010 4:47:34 AM

tngrandmom said:
It does this on my other computer as well. The first time watching, it buffers, plays a little bit, buffers again and so on. Upon replay, it works beautifully - no buffering the second time around. I've tried deleting temp files and making sure I have plenty of memory and the speed I have is 100.0 Mbps.

100.0 Mbps??? Where are you at, Japan? That speed is rather rare in most countries. If that is your speed, you should not have any problems. Perhaps you need to increase the buffer size so you can get the whole clip in.. oh... about 3 seconds if it's less than 5 minutes long.

Right-click on the screen while watching a flash clip and select Settings. Move the slider all the way to the right allowing unlimited buffer sizes. You can also select Global settings to further enhance the Flash Player capabilities.
m
l
October 1, 2010 1:09:45 AM

Is there a way I can increase buffering speed? I must tell you, I did not grow up with Computers and I do not understand computerese. I've tried both suggestions. Thank you for your patience.
m
l
October 1, 2010 3:13:03 AM

To the last question
Quote:
Is there a way I can increase buffering speed?

That's the speed of your internet connection. So no, it can't be faster than your connection.

Goto www.speedtest.net and run the test to find out exactly what speed you get.
Let us know as well.

Regards
KingArcher
m
l
October 1, 2010 12:13:32 PM

KingArcher,

The speedtest I just did indicated: DownLoad 2.03 Mbps; Upload 0.27 Mbps; Ping 138 ms
Thanks again for responding to my message.
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:46:14 PM

That's an average speed for download. At that speed you would notice the buffering delay for a few seconds. What makes the waiting more is the quality of content that you watch. The higher the quality of video, the longer it takes to buffer cause, the more content it has to download.
Is there any particular site that you notice this or is it the same everywhere?
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:11:16 PM

Mostly YouTube videos and Hulu 1/2 hr comedies. I don't have the patience to try a movie!
m
l

Best solution

October 1, 2010 8:53:19 PM

I would suggest streaming the video at a lower setting such as 240p or 360p in youtube

October 8, 2010 7:37:25 PM

Thank You. It seems to be working.
m
l
October 15, 2010 11:52:30 AM

Best answer selected by tngrandmom.
m
l
!