Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

To Wait or Not to Wait?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 8, 2008 4:05:19 PM

Hi folks,

Quick question. If I'm not planning on spending the money on one of the new nVidia or ATI cards that are coming out, should I still wait for them to come out to buy an older g92 card? Usually prices on the older cards go down when the newer ones come out, so that's what I'm thinking, and I'm not going to pay the price on the brand new cards until they come down several months after release. Thoughts?

P.S. Right now my system is old, going to be building a new one soon and just wanted some opinions.

More about : wait wait

June 8, 2008 4:11:53 PM

jeff5 said:
Hi folks,

Quick question. If I'm not planning on spending the money on one of the new nVidia or ATI cards that are coming out, should I still wait for them to come out to buy an older g92 card? Usually prices on the older cards go down when the newer ones come out, so that's what I'm thinking, and I'm not going to pay the price on the brand new cards until they come down several months after release. Thoughts?

P.S. Right now my system is old, going to be building a new one soon and just wanted some opinions.
You answered your own question.
June 8, 2008 5:24:00 PM

Please research recent posts because there has been countless posts with VERY similar questions with the same topic. I am also positive that you will find the answer to your question(s). Thanks
Related resources
June 8, 2008 6:31:51 PM

^Are you the new marshal in town? :lol: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 8, 2008 6:57:09 PM

one-shot said:
Please research recent posts because there has been countless posts with VERY similar questions with the same topic. I am also positive that you will find the answer to your question(s). Thanks


Problem is one shot, I have been doing this for quite a while now and i have never known the search feature of the forum to work. So while in essence what you say is valid, someone could just as easily say to you, if your just going to moan and not add anything beneficial to the OP then don't bother posting at all. Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just pointing out what a double edged sword posting as you have done is. For all we know jeff5 may have searched through but still wanted to ask anyway.
@ jeff5,
I would wait and decide if the price point of the new cards seems wort it to you or not, the price on the older ones may not go down for a while and sometimes its better to get one just before the newer cards come out. In the UK we have seen some good price drops on cards like the e3850/3870 recently. If you are getting one to put in an existing rig with older hardware in it then just grab a currant card and then as you say when the prices settle build your new rig.
Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2008 7:23:40 PM

If it is worth it to you to save maybe 10% by waiting several months, then wait. :sleep:  If on the other hand, you need that new card now to better enjoy the games you are playing, get it now. :sol:  You gotta weigh saving $20 or so with the entertainment value of that money.

Obviously, you should wait if buying it now means you have to go without food. :non: 
June 8, 2008 7:54:45 PM

If you wait, you may be able to get a better card for the same amount you would spend right now. Like from an 8800GT to a 8800GTS or 9600GT to a 8800GT.
June 8, 2008 11:05:38 PM

jeff5 said:
Hi folks,

Quick question. If I'm not planning on spending the money on one of the new nVidia or ATI cards that are coming out, should I still wait for them to come out to buy an older g92 card? Usually prices on the older cards go down when the newer ones come out, so that's what I'm thinking, and I'm not going to pay the price on the brand new cards until they come down several months after release. Thoughts?

P.S. Right now my system is old, going to be building a new one soon and just wanted some opinions.



Wait and buy an ati 4850 when it comes out assuming they bench well in reviews. You will be getting a LOT more for your money than buying a g92 even if you wait until the new cards are released. Nvidia also has said there is going to be revisions of g92 GPUs for their mainstream arena so if you want to buy a g92 they might be releasing new ones around the same time period.

I actually really strongly doubt that g92 gpus are going to drop in price to any great degree once the new cards come out because it appears nvidia is leaving 9000 series where it is for its mainstream cards - you might see some companies clearing stock but thats probably it. Just wait until at least the last week of the month to decide so that you do get your moneys worth regardless of what decision you make.
!