Question about q9650 + P5B OC

calpolyarc

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
After reading some beginner OC'ing guides I was able to OC my q9650 to 3.6 fairly easily just by changing the CPU speed to 4.0 x 9. I also enabled/disabled everything recommended by the guides and put in my basic RAM timings. What I didn't do is mess with any of the voltages. I was very happy with the results of the 3.6 OC but of course wanted to see if I could get more...

Long story short one of the cores on the quad died after I tried to push it to around 3.8 so I RMA'd it. The new chip will be here on friday and what I'm wondering is if it's ok for me to just OC it to 3.6 as I described above or am I going to hurting it by no fussing with the more advanced settings? I assume it would be beneficial to drop the vcore as low as I can due to heat reasons, is that right?

If it really would be beneficial to adjust the more advanced settings are there any somewhat 'safe & standard' values I can just plug in?

From Intels Processor Spec finder:
Thermal Design Power: 95W
Thermal Spec: 71.4 C
VID Voltage Range: 0.85 - 1.3625 V

My RAM Specs:
4 x 2GB GSkill DDR2 800
Timings: 5-5-5-15
Voltage Range: 1.8 - 1.9 V

PSU: Antec 500w Earthanwatts

Cooling: Xigmatek HDT-S1283

GPU: Quadro FX 1500

Thank you very much for any advice!

Mondoman

Splendid
A problem is that leaving the CPU voltage at "auto" doesn't always mean you are running stock voltage. Many boards "automatically" boost the CPU voltage along with the CPU speed; perhaps you fried your previous CPU because of something like this. Set the CPU voltage manually, and monitor the current CPU voltage and temp at idle and under load.

calpolyarc

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks Mondoman, that makes a lot of sense. Before I OC the new chip, if I leave the voltage at auto and then monitor them at idle and under load can I then use those values as a starting point? Would I use the voltage seen under load?

Thanks.

calpolyarc

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
well the new cpu came a day earlier than expected... imagine that!

To get everyone up to date here are my specs:
q9650 in Asus P5B with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HSF
4 x 2Gb GSkill DDR2 800, 5-5-5-15
Quadro FX 1500 GPU
Antec 500w Earthwatts

1. First boot with default bios:
idle temps = 26-31 degrees C
idle vcore = 1.3v
load temps = 44-51
load vcore = 1.22v
DRAM frequency = 333 timings = 5-6-6-15

2. First OC:
FSB=360x9=3240
vcore=manual=1.2375v
DRAM=720(1:1) voltage=manual=1.85 timings=5-5-5-15
typical disabling of extraneous mobo settings.

idle temps = 25-31
idle vcore = 1.18 - 1.2
load temps = 41-47
load vcore = 1.12

Result: successful.

3. Second OC:
FSB=400x9=3600
vcore=manual=1.25v
DRAM=800(1:1)
everything else left as is.

Result: wouldn't boot into windows. When I went back into bios it wouldn't let me manually set the vcore anymore, 'auto' was my only option. I set the FSB back to 360, saved and exited and went back into bios, I could then manually set the vcore again. This booted into windows just fine as before.

4. Third OC:
FSB=380x9
vcore=manual=1.2375
DRAM=760(1:1)
everything else left as is.

Result: wouldn't boot into windows, but got a lot closer than the last attempt. When I went back into bios it wouldn't let me manually set the vcore anymore, 'auto' was my only option. I set the FSB back to 360, saved and exited and went back into bios, I could then manually set the vcore again. This booted into windows just fine as before.

Obviously there's some problem here as the q9650 shouldn't 'max' out at a 3.24 OC!! Any ideas?? During the third OC attempt while it was trying to boot into windows I got an error, something like, "can't load (or find?) the specified file: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe". I had a couple weird windows issues last time I OC'd (see the first post in this thread), ie: I had to reinstall Avast antivirus and my ftp program wouldn't connect to my web server anymore (both internet related?) Anyways, I don't think these are the reasons why the OC isn't working right? Should I do a windows repair?

Thanks a bunch, your time is appreciated!

lixonsamuel

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Well that's more likely a board issue or a Board limitation on the P5B. I read past posts of the E6400 hitting the wall @ 400 FSB on the P5B, likely might improve if you get a BIOS upgrade (2104???) or a better overclockable RAM (2.5v instead of the 2.1v). Curious to know, if you're still on the same Rig, and what temperatures readings you get on LOAd/Idle from the Q9650. I'm from the tropics with room temp @ 29-32 degrees Celsius and my e6400 reads 55 degrees CPU, 29 on Core 1 and 30 on Core 2 (using Speedfan; all IDLE temps). Planning on getting a Q9650 for the board too.

Not all CPU chips overclock the same. Your first chip may have been better.

Besides, Intel is only guarranteeing you that the chip will run at 3.0 GHz. Anything else is gravy.

And I will not say anything about someone destroying a chip though his own negligence and then RMA'ing the chip.

TRENDING THREADS